22lr or 17hmr

I have decided to apply for my FAC, but i am undecided on what caliber to go for.

i will be shooting mainly rabbits, up to 100yards, and the odd fox

which caliber should i apply for 22lr or 17hmr?

what are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

the land i will be shooting on is hilly

any help will be appreciated

thanks for reading

very good response.

i feel the HMR is far superiour to the .22, techonagy has move on. when the .22 first came out it was a great little round but now the HMR has been developed, the only advantage the .22 has its its qutiness but wiht a silencer fit a to the .17 HMR i dont think its too loud. .17 HMR is as a rule mpre accrate than the .22 also helping this is the the low tragetray.

ps- there not that wind effected, smaller bullet = less suface area than the .22.

to all the people who think that the .17 HMR is very wind effected it is just as hard to compensate for the lob on .22 as it its to compensate to the wind factor on a .17 HMR

I have decided to apply for my FAC, but i am undecided on what caliber to go for.

thanks for reading

Go for both mate

thanks for reading

Apply for both. Tell your FEO you know the difference. If you only get one the choice is made for you!

Ric

Go for both mate. I've got both and i use both pretty much the same amount. The HMR will cost a bit more to run but then again if you take into account how often you'll just plink with the .22 the amount you spend on ammo will probably not be much different.

At the end of the day if you have both and you don't use one then you can always get it taken off next renewal.

DunK

Don't forget the HM2,

It has all the properties of the HMR however the range is a little less (not by alot though), ammo is cheaper than HMR, flat out to about 110yds.

It's just an HMR projectile on a .22 case - Great little round

I think someone should start another poll, you are the only person I have ever heard of who likes the HM2...it doesn't have all the properties of the HMR, it is much slower, much less powerful and doesn't fly as flat..but it makes just as much noise... :thumbs:

thanks for reading

If you have the land then I see no reason not to apply for both as several have said, and then decide which to buy first in due course. They are different, one is not better than the other, they both have a use.

If this is your first application I suspect you will be very fortunate to get either granted for FOX, many firearms regions will simply not entertain rimfire for fox!

Personally given the choice I'd choose a .22 rimfire if your going to be shooting rabbits in any numbers... Yes the hmr is flatter shooting, but its louder, and x3 more expensive to use than .22 rounds, this is just my own opinion I'm not a fan of them, they are good for long range rabbits mainly during the summer months you get a lot out during the daylight hours, and for corvids long distance... But for me, I'm mainly out in a vehicle daytime and lamping a lot, if I drove round shooting that thing I'd have a big bill at the end and some areas the rabbits are very skitty, so loud cracks and there off at night... Good fun though and for longer range shooting... But for me the .22 is the daddy and the workhorse for bigger bags.. Silent, cheap and a lot less messy...

hiya db99,i have both on my ticket,i have 2 .22 cz,z,took countless bunnies,with them,out to 100 yds dureing the daylight,poss more if your prone with a bipod,and up to around 50 /70 yds when out with the lamp,though usually a lot closer,did try a couple of high velocity rounds through them and the noise was tremendous,compared to sub sonics,still fancy a .17 but will have to try one on my land,as noise will be a factor as is the total rip off price of .17 ammo,which is just stupid money compared to .22,oki doki,ian

ps,put in for both,cant go wrong,i got 2x.22,and a .17,.223 on mine first application,so you should be ok,ian

Edited by ace32

Just some thoughts in favour of the .22 that may have been mentioned before but in my mind v important.

1. Noise, my .22 the loudest thing is the click of firing pin and thock of hit.

2. price , not just .22 amo cheap but you can pick up a v good second hand rifle for peanuts

3. The HMR makes a bunny inedible unless headshot. I wont even feed them to my ferrets because of fragments all over body --what a waste!

All the best George

Got a .22lr cz style shot hundreds of bunnies with it quiet and cheap to run . Send most of my bunnies to the game dealer. He wont entertain .17 shot rabbits. To messy. Not even head shot ones. He says people just look at them on display and get put off. I have fired the .17 a great rifle if your not selling on the meat. Will bring down foxes too. in my county (humberside) not allowed to use .22 on foxes, but can use .17?. So do what the others say apply for both you never know :clapper: