urban fox control

have enquired about a shotgun cert from chelmsford police reguarding it being used to dispatch live caught foxes, they reckon a 410 would be just what I need, either double or single barrel, the last time I saw a 410 was around 30yrs ago, as a kid we had a little folding poachers single barrel, have they changed much since then, or does anyone have a better idea?, picture would be good if poss, also, if I get the SGC, can I have more than one gun, or do I need to stipulate what Im having on the ticket

many thanks

Once you've got the SGC, you can buy any number of section 2 shotguns up to the number you have storage for. You have to tell the police in writing (recorded delivery is a good idea!) whenever you buy one.

Those poacher's .410's still crop up from time to time, they are getting old now and most are showing their age. Have a look at www.guntrader.co.uk.

Saddlery and gunroom make moderated .410's, they may be handy for urban areas.

HTH, James

like whippet said you can buy any number of section 2 shotguns you like aslong as you inform the firearms dept. within 7 days after purchase and you can securely store them, my FAO made a note of how many my cabinet can hold so i suspect when you exceed that number they'll come round make sure your locking them away. he told me if you do run out of room you can just brake the gun down and just secure the stock/action

Edited by wakey87
do you have a live trap ?

yes mate, have used it to catch a couple, but then have to rely on others to come and despatch it, but as Im getting more "private paid work" I thought it was about time I handled it myself, plus alot easier

do you have a live trap ?

yes mate, have used it to catch a couple, but then have to rely on others to come and despatch it, but as Im getting more "private paid work" I thought it was about time I handled it myself, plus alot easier

theres a 410 in the for sale section mate

have enquired about a shotgun cert from chelmsford police reguarding it being used to dispatch live caught foxes, they reckon a 410 would be just what I need, either double or single barrel, the last time I saw a 410 was around 30yrs ago, as a kid we had a little folding poachers single barrel, have they changed much since then, or does anyone have a better idea?, picture would be good if poss, also, if I get the SGC, can I have more than one gun, or do I need to stipulate what Im having on the ticket

many thanks

I may be teaching my gran to suck eggs here, but you state "urban fox control". The fuzz usually say use a sub12 air-rifle in town. Using the .410 would be illegal, surely?

Ric

many thanks

I may be teaching my gran to suck eggs here, but you state "urban fox control". The fuzz usually say use a sub12 air-rifle in town. Using the .410 would be illegal, surely?

Ric

Mate, it was the police who advised him to get a .410 in the first place.. :thumsb:

Ric

holding a SGC for urban fox control, does not mean they have to be dispatched in an urban enviroment, they could be driven anywhere, it was more the "having to rely on others"

also, and I dont know if Im correct or not, something I will ask FAO when they come around, Im sure using a shotgun in an urban area would be illegal, but using a silenced 410 single short for a legitamate humane dispatch in someones garden, is that still in the same class, Im sure if you could prove the reason, then would a "blind eye, be turned" plus the fact, Im not joe bloggs, but a fully quailified pestie

Ric

holding a SGC for urban fox control, does not mean they have to be dispatched in an urban enviroment, they could be driven anywhere, it was more the "having to rely on others"

also, and I dont know if Im correct or not, something I will ask FAO when they come around, Im sure using a shotgun in an urban area would be illegal, but using a silenced 410 single short for a legitamate humane dispatch in someones garden, is that still in the same class, Im sure if you could prove the reason, then would a "blind eye, be turned" plus the fact, Im not joe bloggs, but a fully quailified pestie

Fair comment bruv. I was just a bit concerned that you might have got at cross purposes with the police about where you would use the gun. You wouldn't be the first person to be misled by a copper who doesn't know the law as well as you obviously do! As you say, you can sort it out when you talk to your FEO. :good:

ATB

Ric

many thanks

For despatching caged foxes that is! :wub:

Ric