working without a ferret finder

Guest GB HUNTER

Guest GB HUNTER

I have no ferret finder at the moment , is there any other ways of finding the ferret underground i have heard of using string but unsure to exactly how its supposed to work, has any one got a good solution for this problem, i do plan to get a mk3 but can't right now.

Cheers

Edited by GB HUNTER

I have no ferret finder at the moment , is there any other ways of finding the ferret underground i have heard of using string but unsure to exactly how its supposed to work, has any one got a good solution for this problem, i do plan to get a mk3 but can't right now.

Cheers

You could use a liner. Get a nice big hob attach him to a harness and line, enter him into the hole where you last seen your jill, he will go down find the jill and push her off her kill (the dead bunny). The jill will come out while the hob starts munching away at the bunny, it just a case of either digging along the line or if you knew how much line as gone to ground eg. 6 feet then you can dig down to it.

I have tryed this method as i aint got a locator, but it can be a bit of a pain in the arse. This season im getting a mk III locator. Hope this helps.

HAPPY HUNTING

RS

Its not the best method in the world but i have blocked holes in the past and gone back the next day for ferrets. just be sure you've blocked them all and if you have a rag or something with you're sent on it leave it down one of the holes and the ferret will sleep on it .

it is also possible to dig a ferret out if you hear where the kill has happend i.e squeeling and constant thumping at one area.

best to get a finder tho ....

;)

Guest Bigbob

You could always sit there till your ferret comes out .Put a catch alive trap in the burrow after youv'e blocked all the other holes .dig a round hole outside the only unblocked burrow 2/3 foot deep with steep sides and a bit of rabbit guts in the bottom . Loads of ways we did it before the ferret finder was on the scene

The obvious answer is to get a locator but to answer your question.

I have used the line method and as described by 'rabbit slayer' the only difference is my line has been taped at foot intervals. This was the way I was first taught to use ferrets to catch rabbits.

And what the old fellow that taught me use to do was tug lightly on the line if the liner (hob) had stopped taking line. There were two reasons one was to feel if the hob was caught on a root or similar, or if he was on the kill he would more than often than not (depending on depth and ground type) start to drag the rabbit out with him because he cant settle on it to eat but wont give it up either.

And on occasions that I have had to dig for ferrets what I have found is that because they are naturally inquisitive creatures if you’re close enough (with in 2-4 feet) the sound of digging gets them searching for you.

When you have spent three or four hours clearing a warren that’s not that big with the use a Jill and a liner and then take twenty minutes to an hour to do the same size warren with two Jill’s and a locator…….well you cant go back!

Guest ferret

hi if you havent got a locator you will better get plenty of ferrets,even the simplest of buries like two or even a one holer could have two levels underground,especially sand buries they go a long way from where you enter the ferret,if i was you i would buy a leather collar and attach a bell to it ,the rabbit will hear the bell and hopefully bolt before the ferret can get to it,just make sure you are well away from any holes,you dont want the rabbit to see you ,or it will be a long wait on your behalf

Im gonna get the mk 3 now was gonna try deako link with 10% discount has any one done this.

hi gb i bought a mk3 ferret finder of deako(decoying uk)two weeks ago got my dicount and execellent service,if you order on line in the comments box just type hunting life member :good: .Now all i have to do is try to work out how it works :icon_redface: