Dartmoor Collies

Hello

Does anyone know of anymore lurchers with dartmoor colli in them, or who breeds them. I am thinking of the yellow-eyed collies. I know hancock had one for a bit sometime ago but never continued with it.

Just keen to hear what folks on hear know or think about the cross. I remember seeing a couple of striking yellow-eyed lurchers about, very distinctive and smart :ph34r: with it.

cheers

:signthankspin:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know anything????

:search:

WHAT exactly do you want to know ?

Border Collies,..came via Dartmoor,..er,...just Border Collies,.not much else to say,... ;)

Should really been a bit clearer :icon_redface: , just wondered if there is anyone out there breeding lurchers from that particular type of collie. I know Hancock tried the type out but hasn't kept up with it. I remember seeing a couple of smart dogs that were dartmoor crosses that had very yellow eyes that made them quite distinctive.

cheers

just been up in the dales today getting some moor permision for our lurcher club, the first farm we went on had one of those lovly lightly built colies that had just finished moving some cattle.

i sad to the lads its the sort that would make a nice cross with a greyhound.

and the last one we sor was just like the one chalkie put up in the pic

yes there are some nice types out there on some of those remote hil farms :good:

just been up in the dales today getting some moor permision for our lurcher club, the first farm we went on had one of those lovly lightly built colies that had just finished moving some cattle.

i sad to the lads its the sort that would make a nice cross with a greyhound.

and the last one we sor was just like the one chalkie put up in the pic

yes there are some nice types out there on some of those remote hil farms :good:

Plenty of collies around,.all shapes and sizes...

And to uninitiated fellows, who are basicaly, very greyhound and coursing orientated,.a tall,racy hill collie might seem to be the ideal type to create a lurcher...However,..after using various sizes of sheepdogs over the last 40 years,..the end results are not always what the theorist would like :11:

Life, just ain't like that..... ;)

THE TYPE I OWN AND WORK ARE FELL COLLIES WITH A TOUCH OF GREYHOUND IN THEM,THEY HAVE AMPLE SPEED AND PLENTY OF BRAIN AND ENDLESS STAMINA.REGARDS COLLIE JOHN.

you are one paranoid fecker chalkie. delited already. but your dead right of course temprament does come first.

surprised it took you 40 years took work it out though :11:

Sorley x...The 'yellow eyed' Dartmoor Collie thread was going nowhere fast,..... :11:

(Actualy,..I went to Devon for that particular Red Bitch with Hancock.....)

Maybe too heavy for some,..not racy enough perhaps,....BUT,.superb temperaments.... ;)

True ture it was a bit of a dead end :11: I was just curious and interested to see if anyone knew anthying else.

Ahhh so you did know more then :laugh:

I'm an ardent collie cross fan, sometimes i just think that some border crosses can be a bit full on and just wondering if other types showed this.

Cheers for the response though

:signthankspin:

Guest stella

what do you mean by border collies being full on ihave worked on fell farms for the last thirty years and found the border collie to be avery placid dog easy to train handy in the pen or the fields but not so good on the fells as once out of voice range and out of sight they stop which means you have alot of walking to do you end up shouting and screaming at the dog which being a placid dog wont come near you wereas the local collies are harder to train couldent give atoss if you shout think for themselves and will boss stubbern ewes that a border will just stare at leading to more walking for me