Yes, thats what comes with poultry..........

Last year whilst sitting down in the orchid i witnessed a rat a little smaller than a female cat take my sussex hen and drag her down the hole.

Live traps, then throw them in the kennel with the dogs.

Great fun!

Must have been a small hen..........

I'm sure i'd like my kennels full of rat piss.........

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Shamo, it was a young sussex hen.

As for the kennel smelling of piss, the dogs have 15ft runs, any caught rats were released into the pen.

Rats at the end of the day chap.

Hope that has cleared your confused faces.

;)

Hardly confused more shocked......you said kennels not runs.

lol, so i did.

Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

What do people suggest is the best method of dealing with "chicken rats". I don't want to use poison nor sit for hours with gun.

What do you reckon?

Bob g

I got six this month using baited fen traps in a tunnel,

so the dog dont get snapped.

check out my post on fenns, got a lot of help off lads on here, still trapping but not had any for ages and the holes have gone so i reckon the dozen or so i had might have cured it

I think you misread the post, i've been trapping rats for many a year. I meant i'll post some pics when i figure how to do it.

We have alot about our area this year and im catching them in live catch traps and shooting them with a rat catcher rifle. I am nervous at the mo tho as the neighbours are putting poison down and i have birds of prey and i lost an owl a few years ago to rat poison so i am hoping to catch em before they get any chanvce to get in with the birds. I have nt had any signs of them trying to dig into the aviarys but never can be too careful with rats.

I go in to my hen house / barn in the dark with a torch and block all the holes in the walls up, then leave it for about 10 mins open the barn door up let the patterdales in and switch the light on, all i can say is its carnage the poultry and fowl know the score now and you can see them all move out of the way of the terriers I swear they enjoy the hunt lol