Moose Hunting in Ontario

After reading the interest on hunting overseas generated from Froese11's Black Bear post, I thought you lads may be interested on seeing a few shots of a moose hunt in Ontario Canada (October 2008):

On the way in with 2 tractors and 9 ATVs carrying 13 eager hunters

DSCN7185.jpg

...can get a bit deep in spots

DSCN7182.jpg

SUCCESS!!....nice Ontario moose :D

DSCN7191.jpg

DSCN7197.jpg

DSCN7199.jpg

An example of an Ontario moose hunt in 5 pictures!

nice one mate. they are massive!!. what calibre would you use for a moose??

.270 (150 grain?), .308 (180 grain), 30-06 (180 grain) are recommended.

.308 and 30-06 are the most common calibres here for moose but you see the whole range being used from 30-30 (too light in my opinion) to .300 mag (too much for bush shots in Ontario in my opinion).

I carry a Remington 7600 pump rifle in 30-06, scoped 2-9x....love this combo :D

f**k me i wouldnt like to drag one of them up the hill. nice pictures matey. :clapper:

That's what the machines are for ;) .....and the new guys to the camp :haha:

Look closely in the back of the wagon

DSCN7189_cens.jpg

Edited by Bigshrimp
wouldn't be hard tracking the blood trail on that thing .... be like a river, NS

If hit in a major artery....but we lost a really big bull in 2005. Only 1 very fien mist of of blood sign and a few blood sign from brushing on bush. We think he must have been grazed and blamed it all on the scope :icon_redface:

I know that they say everything is bigger on your side of the pond, but looking at yon beast, your freezers must be huge too! :clapper: What a cracking animal :clapper: Is it right that some moose go mad and kill people? Or am I just imagining being told that?

Atb, ft

I know that they say everything is bigger on your side of the pond, but looking at yon beast, your freezers must be huge too! :clapper: What a cracking animal :clapper: Is it right that some moose go mad and kill people? Or am I just imagining being told that?

Atb, ft

Each of us (13 guys) got about 60 pounds of meat from this animal :D

DSCN7201_cens.jpg

DSCN7200_cens.jpg

DSCN7202.jpg

Don't think they go mad as such, but they are very territorial when rutting and are definitely not afraid of people. :icon_eek:

This one actually charged the hunter. He was calling and scraping when this bull rushed out out of the bush at him looking for a fight! He unloaded 5 rounds at him in very quick succession and (3 hit) at about 20 yards :hunter: .....and then changed his pants :rofl:

lol, lucky he hit it then. what calibers do you use on them?

This moose was taken with a .308 (180 grain).

In general I've copied my answer from above:

.270 (150 grain?), .308 (180 grain), 30-06 (180 grain) are recommended.

.308 and 30-06 are the most common calibres here for moose but you see the whole range being used from 30-30 (too light in my opinion) to .300 mag (too much for bush shots in Ontario in my opinion).

I carry a Remington 7600 pump rifle in 30-06, scoped 2-9x....love this combo

Edited by Bigshrimp