I was reading that anything with a velocty above 2800 FPS will do. So that rules out the 308.

what about the .45/70? biiig 450 grain bullet trundling along at 1300 ft/s isn't even making deer legal energy in the UK but was killing buffalo just fine in the old west especially a big hard cast soft lead bullet will just punch through and keep on going

Not the most practical hunting round in the world, But I do admire it, I'd love a ruger no 1 in .45-70

Right now this is all theory. A few days ago I was talking to a friend of mine. Turned out he has a permission over 200 acres to shoot pheasant. The owner of the land really dislikes wild boar - and we've got a lot of 'em in East Sussex! He will welcome anyone with a big centrefire who can stalk the boogers down. SO WHAT do I go for? The Home Office site says that the minimum calibre for wild boar is .270 :icon_eek: Even that's marginal! Looks to me like .257 Weatherby Magnum. It's gotta be a stalking gun that I can carry around.

Ric

Thanks guys. Shooting Times states flatly that 22CF and .243 are inadequate - and dangerous. A wounded 200lb boar could have you down and dead before you can get off a 2nd shot. They give .270 as minimum, recommend at least 7mm(.280), m/e 2800 ft.lbs.

Talking to myself . . .I've just discovered that Sussex Police will only give a variation to shoot boar with .270, .308 or 30-06. The boar population in Herefordshire contains the largest boar in Europe. Heaviest was >500lbs :icon_eek:

yup as others have said, I's shoot a .308, a big 180 gn nosler partition ot bonded bear claw would dish the dirt :D

Spanner in the works, a friend down that way uses a 30-30 Winchester :D

err SS are you sure that when he says boar he dosen't mean feral pigs? as they're quite a bit smaller than o'l Sus scrofa in europe.... (Is your man from the US?)

Quite positive on the Boar front ;)

.30-30 Winchester

Seems quite reasonable to me if, as they say, is usable for Black bear.

I think the fact that Boar are temendously heavily built has a factor in what calibre, althought i dont shoot deer or boar, i have buutchered both. and deer although big, the bone and "density" of the beast doesnt compare to the heavy boar.

Not really knowing jack shit on the matter, so tell me to feck off if this is a daft comment. With whats been said about the danger a wounded boar, would it be prudent when stalking boar to have a mate handy with a 12 bore loaded with buck shot, something like SG or at least AAA? Also arn't there rifle shotgun combos that would be perfect for such a situation? I would imagine a rushed shot on a charging boar wouldn't be the safest or a deffinate stopper but a shotgun would be ideal.

Not really knowing jack shit on the matter, so tell me to feck off if this is a daft comment. With whats been said about the danger a wounded boar, would it be prudent when stalking boar to have a mate handy with a 12 bore loaded with buck shot, something like SG or at least AAA? Also arn't there rifle shotgun combos that would be perfect for such a situation? I would imagine a rushed shot on a charging boar wouldn't be the safest or a deffinate stopper but a shotgun would be ideal.

Used quite a lot on the continent, not so much here.

The problem you have with SG's is that they are useless over about 10 yards. AAA are a bit small, so you have SSG and Sp. SG in between which could be used in an emergency.

Nice to have them bowl over on first go though ;)

The problem you have with SG's is that they are useless over about 10 yards. AAA are a bit small, so you have SSG and Sp. SG in between which could be used in an emergency.

ah right, just a thought from my 'inexperienced' head. Just thought if i had a 300lb boar charging at me with 4 inch tusks i would probably rather have a shotty handy than rely on having to place a shot from a rifle just right. Although, saying that if i had a choice i would have half a dozen dogo argintinos at the ready! lol

I know someone who has a long magezine 12 bore in which he uses rifled slugs for wild boar. The police let him have it on his FAC specially for the job. He was using a .270 for it and says he wouldn't use anything less for them. He looks after a deer park(mainly Red and Fallow) and takes about 200 deer a year, so he has experience.

ah right, just a thought from my 'inexperienced' head. Just thought if i had a 300lb boar charging at me with 4 inch tusks i would probably rather have a shotty handy than rely on having to place a shot from a rifle just right. Although, saying that if i had a choice i would have half a dozen dogo argintinos at the ready! lol

Favourite might be a solid rifled slug. Legal for keepers!

My mate does alot of boar, he uses a 357 ;)

what as in the pistol cartridge?? IIIII definitely wouldn't want to be him faced with an angry pig...

yup as others have said, I's shoot a .308, a big 180 gn nosler partition ot bonded bear claw would dish the dirt :D

Spanner in the works, a friend down that way uses a 30-30 Winchester :D

err SS are you sure that when he says boar he dosen't mean feral pigs? as they're quite a bit smaller than o'l Sus scrofa in europe.... (Is your man from the US?)

Quite positive on the Boar front ;)

.30-30 Winchester

Seems quite reasonable to me if, as they say, is usable for Black bear.

well, I wouldn't want to use it on boar though I understand that the .30-30 is one of the all time biggest deer cartridges over there in the US (i.e. having taken the greatest number of animals) but I do hear thar black bear can be taken using deer calibers so that seems to stack up... ;)