when do you start gettin your dog ready for the season ?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JOEB

Fine looking animal RR......................I am just about to start the dogs on fitness build up(with some good ideas given to me from guys on this site) 10-12 week programme..........BUT..........with the heat at the moment, I am delaying doing anything..........just letting them lie around and keep cool.

I wont even bother to exercise them if its to hot............not unless I am still awake at midnight and havnt got to get up.

26 plus is just to hot for them IMHO

JOEB

doy uo think greyhound racing stoppes because the weather is hot ??? .... i will give you some tips to keep your dog fit in the summer ... tip number 1 ... get your fat arse out of bed early in the morning when it is still cool and the dogs can cope ..... number 2 ... find a river or lake and swim the dogs 10 mins swimming is equivelant to about 8 miles road work .... thats all the tips for now .... :D:D:D ..........

i did start getting them fit again a few weeks ago,but i have put it on hold again due to the heat,the reason you cant keep them tip top imo is because the heat absorbs energy from a dog like mad,they knacker themselves out just by trying to keep cool, panting,plus i find they go off their food,so if you put a hard exercise regime on top of this in the heat you will exaust the dogs,unless you dont work that is,if you dont work for a living then you can do all your walking early in the morning.

bitches will have a seasonal rest yes (unless they are supressed then they run all year round ;) ) as for knocking a dog on its arse thats nonsence mate my racing dogs dont win as much as they do by being knocked back ... they are athletes and as such need to stay on top form ... knocking a dog back is asking for a gutsy dog to have a seriouse injury through trying his best when not in top form ........

doy uo think greyhound racing stoppes because the weather is hot ??? .... i will give you some tips to keep your dog fit in the summer ... tip number 1 ... get your fat arse out of bed early in the morning when it is still cool and the dogs can cope ..... number 2 ... find a river or lake and swim the dogs 10 mins swimming is equivelant to about 8 miles road work .... thats all the tips for now .... :D:D:D ..........

whos talking about track dogs greyhounds run on soft sand when racing where the ground his prepared for them also its in the evening most greyhound racing as for being lazy. i walk miles with the dogs in the winter so what if i dont walk in the summer that much my dogs mean more to me than running them on solid concrete hard ground. the lad only wanted to now when to start getting his dog fit for the coming season,so go and bore someone else about conditioning your track dogs . im a lurcherman myself

just for your uneducated brain have you ever heard of BAGS racing ??? check it out before you spout bollox about mostly evening racing ..... i wasnt telling the lad to run the dog on solid ground i was giving him a couple of options to keep his dogs fit in the summer ... as for lurchers i have kept one or two of them myself ;););) ...........

Socks,imo it's impossible to keep a dog in top form constantly,it will just be going through the motions,human atheletes don't run all year round,race horses neither, except the rubbish which runs on the all-weather tracks.I'm not saying knock a dog on it's arse when it's in top form mate,i'm saying do it when he starts doing slower times and obviously he is saying in his own way he's had enough for the moment.I'd like to bet my life Westmead Hawk had breaks from running throughout his career,no way would he have ran from 16 month old until his injury without been given a break,my father-in-law has trained Greyhounds for well over 40 years,albeit just flapping dogs but he holds many track records and has won multiple "Derby's" on flapping tracks,he too always knows when to give a dog a break and then bring them back to their best.Jmo mate and not wanting to get into a slanging match.I always give my lurchers March-until mid August just labouring about although they still get walked atleast once a day,then they get more than hammered up until February and they always seem to perform with credit.Cheers Andy. :good:

i agree that dogs need a break and with greyhounds when they look a little jaded and their times are coming down then yes you give them a few weeks off racing but not all of the summer ... as for lurchers i wasnt suggesting they work all year round what i was saying was that i find it easyer to keep them fit all year round and when the season comes they are ready to go and i have less injurys ... each to their own mate and whatever works for you go for it ;) ..... oh and i have a couple of track records and have won a few opens :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: .........

CNV00019.jpg

coverxp020.jpg

Edited by socks

I agree with a lot of what socks is saying,I try to keep my dogs reasonably fit through the warmer months.

It is difficult in these conditions.I expect some one who lamps rabbits 3 or 4 times a week through the winter would have different ideas on fitness than for a greyhound that has 3 races a week through out the year.

Some lurchers are used almost like coursing greyhounds but a lot arent.