when do you start gettin your dog ready for the season ?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest whitser
doy uo think greyhound racing stoppes because the weather is hot ??? .... i will give you some tips to keep your dog fit in the summer ... tip number 1 ... get your fat arse out of bed early in the morning when it is still cool and the dogs can cope ..... number 2 ... find a river or lake and swim the dogs 10 mins swimming is equivelant to about 8 miles road work .... thats all the tips for now .... :D:D:D ..........

couldn't agree more. your dogs should be fit all year round. in the summer i just waiy til the late evening before i take them out. or i'll take them to the beach on a hot day and walk out waist high and swim the dogs along the coast. working dogs should be kept active all year round not just during the season.

each person has there own ideas on when and how to get a dog fit before the season,i started pre season conditioning two weeks ago,i start by walking upto five miles aday in the early morning,for aweek or so, then i build the mileage upto ten to fourteen miles a day going out in the early morning road walking upto seven miles,and then go out late evening running with the dog at my side.in my opinion pre season conditioning takes at least eight weeks for the dog and yourself to be in any shape for going out for a nights lamping, or a hard day on the fells.feed your dog accordingly conditioning proper and you and your dog should get through a hard season.regards collie john.

Guest snatch flcc

I keep mine fit all year round, in the summer I walk them about 5am on the bike for between 2 & 6 miles a day, at that time it is always cool enough plus you see a lot more game! At the moment you cant see much cos all the crops are too high but once they start cutting it and the ground gets softer you see loads!

I increase there walk to around 6-10 miles a day 3 -4 days a week in August and the other days they are off the leads running about, with me walking between 2-4 miles, by middle of september they are generally fit enough for anything!

Middle of September if the ground is soft enough they start work properly, mainly lamping rabbits and foxes then hares in October til March in daytime and whatever else they get on the lamp.

For me I use my dogs to keep myself fit as well, it gives me a reason to get out and exercise and when your as greedy as me it helps keep the waistline looking normal otherwise Id be a right fat B****rd!! lol!

each to there own I suppose

cheers Snatch Flcc :clapper:

Guest jeff.s

I,M LUCKY I ONLY LIVE 5 MINS FROM THE SEA SO I,M DOWN AT 6AM EVERY MORNING BEFORE THE DAY WARMS UP, THE DOGS LOVE A SWIM I THROW A POP BOTTLE IN THE SEA FOR THEM AND THEY SWIM OUT FOR IT, THEN I ROAD WALK THEM ON A NIGHT WHEN IT COOLS OFF. jeff

Picture196.jpg

i'd go with the resonably fit all year so that it's easier to bring them up a few notches as the season approaches also if a landowner wants a problem dealing with out of season a fittish dog is much less likely to get injured, for every week a dog is laid off, post the first 10 days, it will take a week to regain that lost fitnes.

it must be said i'm lucky as i live by the sea so have ample soft sand to run on and atlantic surf to cool down hot dogs. (you'd be supprised how many foxes beach comb once the holiday makers have gone home lololol)