how many nets and what type

Guest eddie willo

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just go round the feilds were your going too ferret and see how big the burries are then youll know how many nets to take plus a few extra as theres allways some bolt holes that you miss first off. cut the rings off the nets youve got if there 4z and make some spun nylon and hemp nets with them.

419356.JPG

spun nylon net

419357.JPG

a heavyer style spun nylon net.

419358.JPG

hemp net.

ive started making a longnet a while ago, wish i never bothered now. much easyer and quicker to do pursenets. only about another 30 odd feet to go.....

ferreting to longnet's can be fun, but again, horses for courses.

If you have a big banking with 300+ holes in, then the best bet is to longnet the top, bottom and sides of the bank, then you want additional nets running top to bottom every so often as in big sets the bunnies seem to hole hop. Eventually they will flee but depending on the size of warren and amount of ferrets used, it can be a while.

The best day i remember with the nets was on a hedgerow, longnets either side. I did two hedgrow's about 60 yards long each it was fun, especially because i was on my own, i must have been some sight if someone saw me, jumping over the fence into hawthorn, thistles etc....

Guest eddie willo
ferreting to longnet's can be fun, but again, horses for courses.

If you have a big banking with 300+ holes in, then the best bet is to longnet the top, bottom and sides of the bank, then you want additional nets running top to bottom every so often as in big sets the bunnies seem to hole hop. Eventually they will flee but depending on the size of warren and amount of ferrets used, it can be a while.

The best day i remember with the nets was on a hedgerow, longnets either side. I did two hedgrow's about 60 yards long each it was fun, especially because i was on my own, i must have been some sight if someone saw me, jumping over the fence into hawthorn, thistles etc....

i dont have long nets though and could not realy afford to buy 1 at this moment in time thanks any way rabbithunter!

:)eddie:)

Guest Leeview
i am wondering how many nets i should buy ready for september because all my old ones are tangled and when they are dedscribed what does all the nylon 4z and 6z ect... mean!!

hope you can help eddie :blink:

when talking about nylon threads the z is a measure of 10lbs breaking strain per z'd, so 4z=40lbs 6z=60lbs breaking strain

Going along with woodga on the single knotting of nylon when done properly IMHO

bigbob no name needed tried his knots at the Gamekeepers Fair earlier this year and came up with the same conclusion, someone took some as part payment and is trying to sell them on on smoochers buyer beware, names mean nothing when your trying to make a sale :whistle: :whistle:

Guest eddie willo

i am wondering how many nets i should buy ready for september because all my old ones are tangled and when they are dedscribed what does all the nylon 4z and 6z ect... mean!!

hope you can help eddie :blink:

Well 6z is stronger than 4z, hemp is much easier to lay and picks up less debris { or to give it the correct name, SHIT } than nylon ones do. But the downside is, hemp rots if not looked after, but are nicer to handle than nylon. If you make your own nets, hemp is a nice medium to work with and needs to be knotted only once, where as nylon needs double knotting! Poke nets are good, they have runners instead of the usual ring and TWO pegs, one each side, the rabbits hit the net and the net purses to the middle as normal, but then it can slide up and down the strings as the rabbit struggles to get out! This gives the rabbit less purchase to anything solid to push against. P.M. me with your email address and I'll send some pics, I've yet to work out sending pics through this site! :rofl:

have you used spun nylon

no i havent lol

:) eddie :)