how many nets and what type

Guest eddie willo

Guest eddie willo

i am wondering how many nets i should buy ready for september because all my old ones are tangled and when they are dedscribed what does all the nylon 4z and 6z ect... mean!!

hope you can help eddie :blink:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am wondering how many nets i should buy ready for september because all my old ones are tangled and when they are dedscribed what does all the nylon 4z and 6z ect... mean!!

i would say about 40 nets you need and a would go for heavey nylon net are spun nylon :good:

:

How many did you use last season and how many are now fecked.. :blink: ..it's not rocket science working out how many to buy to replace the fecked ones..

Millet

:clapper: millet your a mean fecker :laugh: GOOD HUNTING ALL WOODGA :ph34r:

Guest caleb

Well 6z is stronger than 4z, hemp is much easier to lay and picks up less debris { or to give it the correct name, SHIT } than nylon ones do. But the downside is, hemp rots if not looked after, but are nicer to handle than nylon. If you make your own nets, hemp is a nice medium to work with and needs to be knotted only once, where as nylon needs double knotting! Poke nets are good, they have runners instead of the usual ring and TWO pegs, one each side, the rabbits hit the net and the net purses to the middle as normal, but then it can slide up and down the strings as the rabbit struggles to get out! This gives the rabbit less purchase to anything solid to push against. P.M. me with your email address and I'll send some pics, I've yet to work out sending pics through this site! :rofl:

Well 6z is stronger than 4z, hemp is much easier to lay and picks up less debris { or to give it the correct name, SHIT } than nylon ones do. But the downside is, hemp rots if not looked after, but are nicer to handle than nylon. If you make your own nets, hemp is a nice medium to work with and needs to be knotted only once, where as nylon needs double knotting! Poke nets are good, they have runners instead of the usual ring and TWO pegs, one each side, the rabbits hit the net and the net purses to the middle as normal, but then it can slide up and down the strings as the rabbit struggles to get out! This gives the rabbit less purchase to anything solid to push against. P.M. me with your email address and I'll send some pics, I've yet to work out sending pics through this site! :rofl:

have you used spun nylon

If you make your own nets, hemp is a nice medium to work with and needs to be knotted only once, where as nylon needs double knotting!

I DONT KNOW ABOUT YOUR NETS MATE BUT I CAN ASURE YOU MY NYLON NETS DO NOT NEED DOUBLE KNOTS TO HOLD THEM YOU MUSN,T BE PULLING YOUR KNOTS VERY TIGHTLY IS ALL I CAN SAY IV GOT OVER 50 HAND MADE NYLON NETS FROM LAST SEASON SINGLE KNOTTED AND ALL ARE STILL GOOD I SUPPOSE IT MUST BE THE NYLON YOU ARE USING THE STUFF WE GET FROM THE FISH QUAY HOLDS A REAL TIGHT KNOT :good: GOOD HUNTING ALL WOODGA :ph34r:

If you make your own nets, hemp is a nice medium to work with and needs to be knotted only once, where as nylon needs double knotting!

I DONT KNOW ABOUT YOUR NETS MATE BUT I CAN ASURE YOU MY NYLON NETS DO NOT NEED DOUBLE KNOTS TO HOLD THEM YOU MUSN,T BE PULLING YOUR KNOTS VERY TIGHTLY IS ALL I CAN SAY IV GOT OVER 50 HAND MADE NYLON NETS FROM LAST SEASON SINGLE KNOTTED AND ALL ARE STILL GOOD I SUPPOSE IT MUST BE THE NYLON YOU ARE USING THE STUFF WE GET FROM THE FISH QUAY HOLDS A REAL TIGHT KNOT :good: GOOD HUNTING ALL WOODGA :ph34r:

same nylon needs double knot and some is single :good:

Guest Bigbob

We were at scone game fair yesterday and i was on a well know stall and my lad whos 12 was pulling at a green spun nylon net and came running up telling me in front of every bugger them nets are no good dad the knots are slipping :11: .I beat a hastey retreat

Guest eddie willo

thank you for all ya help guys :signthankspin: eddie

How many did you use last season and how many are now fecked.. :blink: ..it's not rocket science working out how many to buy to replace the fecked ones..

Millet

i neva used any last season i neva ad a ferret :) eddie :)

Edited by eddie willo
Guest Bigbob

Depends where im going ,i just take a bag of 50 nets with me .But if its a big job with 4 of us ferreting i can take up to 300 nets .Need to find out what the ground your going to ferrets like and how many burrows there is mate

Spun nylon everytime for me. I have forty two at the minute but once i get this bloody insurance claim sorted i will make getting another kilo of spun of JAMES B (TOP QUALITY STUFF) to make another 40 odd up

Hemp is good but rots if not looked after properly. And if you have 200 or 300 nets it takes a lot of time.

Just my opinion :good:

You can never have too many purse nets or longnets imo. Hemp is very good to handle but has its obvious draw backs, spun nylon is very good but not the heavy "tank netting" :no: ...and spun nylon is not necessarily thick and hairy. This longnet handmade by myself is spun nylon with approximatly 24,000 SINGLE knots :p

Guest Bigbob

Got to agree mike you can never have too many nets i use 350 feet of longnets as well but there no use if the rabbits are hole hopping.Horses for courses that where traps and snares kick in . :laugh: