aa s410 custom stock

hia all, just thought i would share my first stock making project with you all for my aa s 410 , managed to get hold of a lovely bit of american black walnut enought to make 2 stocks and this is my first attempt, just put the sanding sealer on and had one coat of oil so loads a coats ta go yet, thanks ta grim for ya help and guidance on this mate , made it a bit easier for me , enjoyed doing this so much will be starting the second one after this one is oiled up, will put a few more pics up when fully oiled , hope the pics work,

post-27947-1236196991_thumb.jpg

post-27947-1236196991_thumb.jpg

post-27947-1236196963_thumb.jpg

post-27947-1236196976_thumb.jpg

post-27947-1236197070_thumb.jpg

post-27947-1236196683_thumb.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well done old chap!! :thumbs::yes:

I am pleased it has worked out as well for you as it has for me bud! :thumbs:

All the very best pal, and keep in touch - i'll always help you where i can. ;)

Regards,

Grim.

FANTASTIC!!!

in the words of little Britain " i want one" " that one "

well done mate ,i was only talking to a mate of mine who is a carpenter that we should have a go at making one

regards

a envious

davy

looks good with the action on, fits me like a glove, thanks ta grim helping me with measurements so it fits me, i think it took me about 20 hours ta get this far with it, enjoyed it so much i think i found a new hobby, will put up some pics when fully oiled with the action on, would recommend to have a go yaself , very rewarding when ya see it all coming together, will shortly be making another as have another piece of walnut , wanna try one with wooden trigger guard built in.

A cracking job mate! After you sketched it out on the blank what tools did you use to shape it? im out of work at the moment so looking for stuff to keep me occupied :D

good project ta keep ya busy mate. i used a router, various rasps and files and also what they call a riffler set , like small rasps , very handy for doing detailed work. basic tools realy, invested in a bandsaw now so that should be easier for me next one, got another cracking bit of walnut so thinking up ideas as we speak, def got the bug for it now. put another coat of oil on today after rubbing out small imperfections, looking better all the time, more pics up soon when complete with action. thanks

Looks an excellent job, did you have any Templates to follow or did you do it all free hand

thanks mate. i used a standard stock as a rough template then just changed a few bits to how i would like it and then made a proper template from a piece of ply with moveable hand grip and moveable cheeck piece and kept moving them until it felt right, it all fits like a glove and i found it fits me better then standard stock being an inch shorter and higher cheek piece , i think it important that this is the way to go before making one ta make sure it fits you , thanks for great comments

have a go mate, very rewarding when you see it taking shape, i,m on me 3rd coat of oil now, cant wait ta finish so can start on another, another quick pic ta show how it going and the off cut from stock end ta show transformation from what looks like an old crap bit a wood ,

post-27947-1236280615_thumb.jpg