Practical genetics in dog breeding.

Found this on the internet and thought others might like to read it, there are sections on linebreeding and culling amongst other things and it is explained in understandable terms so you dont have to have done a degree to follow what it means! lol!

http://home.comcast.net/~NoPuppyMillsVA/Po...l_genetics.html

totally agree with the culling and about the bitch should be of quality,you can't polish a turd.

lol, true! :laugh: although ive never tried it! polishing a turd that is! :laugh:

you can polish a turd, you need to bake it in an oven at 180 degrees for hour and alf.. then when cooled varnish it, polish it as many times as you like..

One things for sure though.... 'It's still a turd' .... :whistling:

by the way .. Excellent link, worth a read...

totally agree with the culling and about the bitch should be of quality,you can't polish a turd.

lol, true! :laugh: although ive never tried it! polishing a turd that is! :laugh:

you can polish a turd, you need to bake it in an oven at 180 degrees for hour and alf.. then when cooled varnish it, polish it as many times as you like..

One things for sure though.... 'It's still a turd' .... :whistling:

by the way .. Excellent link, worth a read...

your pm box is full

Found this on the internet and thought others might like to read it, there are sections on linebreeding and culling amongst other things and it is explained in understandable terms so you dont have to have done a degree to follow what it means! lol!

http://home.comcast.net/~NoPuppyMillsVA/Po...l_genetics.html

I try to read everything about breeding so that was very useful to me but i wonder how many people in working dogs practice inbreeding or line breeding to maintain a good line of dogs.People always knock the show people but how much irresponcible breeding goes on in the working dog world.A lot i think.What thinking and knowledge of the parents is behind a lot of the litters for sale on this site or c/w ? It seems most people think that lurcher breeding is an exercise in fractions but if you are to develope a strain of reliable workers then you will have to inbreed and not just for one or two generations either. But then i suppose you could argue they are no longer a true cross breed which is surely what a lurcher is.I suppose inbreeding might occure more in the terrier world where there are a a section of people who seriosly rely on certain qualities that are not common amongst casually bred dogs and show dogs like great courage and the determination to stay below ground in total darkness for hours at a time facing a foe whos bigger and stronger than they.If you need to produce these qualities as well as other desired traits for serious regular work then would not in breeding be the only way of fixing firm those qualities for generations?

There is a lot of bad press lately about inbreeding largely to do with the show people and crufts etc but its articles like the one you have put up that can educate us and stop us all jumping on the bandwagon and start thinking about breeding better dogs.

• 4 weeks later...