built a live catch trap

the company I work for, have contracts to keep london underground free of pests, one of our contracts is feral pidgeon control, and most nights each week, were culling feral pidgeons on most platforms around london, one large station in north london had problems with feral pidgeons gaining access to a cavity inside a canopy, and therefore causing damage to elecrics etc by way of the gauno (shit) we meshed in the access areas, and although this solved the problem, it just moved them on of course.

they now have 100-200 pidgeons roosting on the station roof, that then come down each day to feed on the station, and crap everywhere, we have a 21 night shoot here, but of course with all the health and safety rules and regulations, concerning us getting permission to get on the roof, an easy sounder job becomes a nightmare, plus your limited to the time, as this can only be done when power to the rails is off, also you need a protection master on each visit, in case shot pidgeons fall onto the track, also each visit only lasts around 2hours, and only yeilds around 8 pigeons, as they fly off to roost in different areas, after a couple of shots

so I suggested to my bosses that I build a live catch trap, which can be left on the roof and inspected nightly, to remove pidgeons, and re-bait and water,

it will be postitioned in an area that has a handrail surround, which they have asked if we can tie tarpulin onto, at a height of 18" just to shield from view and passengers that look across from the bridges

this will save them around £200 per night,

of course they jumped at the idea, ordered some bobwires from johnb and put this together yesterday, its held together with plastic ties, so it will get dismantled to take onto the roof, but thought I'd leave it in the garden for a week, see if I can get a few woodies in it

post-5267-1222514516.jpg

hope you charged your company for your time and materials stubby

if you were to look round my garden, you'd see most of the fencing is mesh :whistling: , plus, dont know how it happened, but I ordered to many bobwires that they paying for :whistling:

yes tomo, I'll get sorted :thumbs:

this trap building lark can get addictive, just put this one together for myself using a design simular to one richie built, although made this one non collapsable using johnb's crimpers :thumbs:

post-5267-1222620755_thumb.jpg

Good job mate ,just a suggestion, 2ins higher than the bobs would be good, that wire leaning on the fence to the right is making my mouth water. :victory:

well, its now situated on the canopy roof of the station, its only been there 24hrs, and Ive not left it fixed open, but ready set and baited, Im hoping londons greedy feral pidgeons wont need to get used to it, although from a thursday night to sunday night, it will have the access doors fixed in the open position, as we dont work these nights, so hopefully this will give the birds the "free meal" they need to start using it

only downside, before this was installed you would see 60-70 roosting pidgeons, on the night we set it up, none :wallbash::laugh:

post-5267-1222942988.jpg

well, its now situated on the canopy roof of the station, its only been there 24hrs, and Ive not left it fixed open, but ready set and baited, Im hoping londons greedy feral pidgeons wont need to get used to it, although from a thursday night to sunday night, it will have the access doors fixed in the open position, as we dont work these nights, so hopefully this will give the birds the "free meal" they need to start using it

only downside, before this was installed you would see 60-70 roosting pidgeons, on the night we set it up, none :wallbash::laugh:

post-5267-1222942988.jpg

Don't think about them Stubby, they know you are after them. Once you stop thinking of them, you'll get the b4st4rds.

Guest friedrice
the company I work for, have contracts to keep london underground free of pests, one of our contracts is feral pidgeon control, and most nights each week, were culling feral pidgeons on most platforms around london, one large station in north london had problems with feral pidgeons gaining access to a cavity inside a canopy, and therefore causing damage to elecrics etc by way of the gauno (shit) we meshed in the access areas, and although this solved the problem, it just moved them on of course.

they now have 100-200 pidgeons roosting on the station roof, that then come down each day to feed on the station, and crap everywhere, we have a 21 night shoot here, but of course with all the health and safety rules and regulations, concerning us getting permission to get on the roof, an easy sounder job becomes a nightmare, plus your limited to the time, as this can only be done when power to the rails is off, also you need a protection master on each visit, in case shot pidgeons fall onto the track, also each visit only lasts around 2hours, and only yeilds around 8 pigeons, as they fly off to roost in different areas, after a couple of shots

so I suggested to my bosses that I build a live catch trap, which can be left on the roof and inspected nightly, to remove pidgeons, and re-bait and water,

it will be postitioned in an area that has a handrail surround, which they have asked if we can tie tarpulin onto, at a height of 18" just to shield from view and passengers that look across from the bridges

this will save them around £200 per night,

of course they jumped at the idea, ordered some bobwires from johnb and put this together yesterday, its held together with plastic ties, so it will get dismantled to take onto the roof, but thought I'd leave it in the garden for a week, see if I can get a few woodies in it

post-5267-1222514516.jpg

stubs at £200 a night saving i hope you get a big bone us at Christmas mate :thumbs: