Do pigeon traps work on Woodies ?

I've been asked a few times if pigeon traps will work for Woodies and to be honest the answer I usually give is 'Not Reliably'.

Recently we've had a lot of woodies feeding on the spills from the bird table - they sit under the grain feeder shouting at the sparrows to peck faster.

Anyway this seemed like an ideal pre-baited test site so yesterday I dug out my 'Take down Pigeon Trap' and put it out. No sides or lid at this stage to let them get used to it.

post-2748-1212317116_thumb.jpg

How does this trap work may i ask

It's a standard bobwire door trap - with a door in each of the wooden ends. What's missing in this picture is the top and the sides. The whole thing is built to be folded away. If you click on where it says 'Take Down Pigeon Trap' in the first topic theres a thread all about it.

But as an aside look at this - just when you think you've cleared the bloody magpies .......

post-2748-1212319633_thumb.jpg

made a big walk in ladder trap last year for the jackdaws , only problem is i didnt make the gaps small enough so all the jacks bar a few got out.... but it was leathal for woodies after you had fed it up with wheat for a few days.. they went in with less fuss than the jacks did, once the first one was in the rest couldnt get in quick enough

That would be my first choice too little_lloyd. I have made one with bobs and it has caught, but in the time I made it, I could have made a dozen pyramids traps.

H

Luddites the pair of you :laugh: Nothing wrong with Pyramids but a good bobwire trap is essentially a multicatch trap which is ideal where you have a feral problem. This is just a bit of an experiment.

Anyway - had a few happily going in and out so phase 2

post-2748-1212501047.jpg

Ooooh so close... guillotine next? ;) Now with a pyramid you would have had that... Only kidding John. Is it worth pinning up every other bob for a day or so? let them struggle in and struggle out? Then reset all and bingo! Leave one in as a decoy?

BTW is it legal to decoy with a live pigeon in a cage??? Bet it's not...

Looks good John, tomorrow is another day.

H

well done john now we have use a similar trap to that made out of galv 2 inch mesh made into a circle with two funnel doors with bobs on only opening in over to catch an odd pheasant ot two :whistling: good idea :victory: