Grey Squirrel Count

Guest little_lloyd

Guest little_lloyd

Was on pidgeon watch forums a while back and there was a count of how many squirrels members have acounted for since the begining of the year.

So.........I thought it would be a good idea to start the hunting life grey squirrel count :gunsmilie: So to start it of ive had 30 this yar in my wood. Some trapped, some shot!!

LL

But theres plenty plenty to come as yet =@

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would you all agree though,

that there,s a lot of them around this year

Too many!!! And there popping up in the most unusual unexpected palces.

so go on then whats the most unusual UNEXPECTEDPLACE you've found them

Guest little_lloyd

The other week was out at first light checking my birds. I was walking down the footpath about 100 yards from the wood where there is a sinlge Oak in the middle of the feild and two tree rats ran up the tree looking at me from the top they had no where to go.........but i didnt have a gun on me :doh:

And just today i was in my bosses garden with my gun this time and the climbers on the side of his house was a very young squirrel looking right at me, i did not shoot as i would of ended up ruining a lovely cotswold stone house but i maganged to get a few feet from the young thing leading it climbing down the plants onto the lawn ran straight past me to the nearest tree (a willow) Thats when you need a dog.

Doubt if I've shot a half dozen this year.............shot all the feckers last year :laugh: . I've only come across one here in the last few months, but as already said........"they'll soon be back!" :boxing:

Al :gunsmilie:

Edited by mad al
Guest little_lloyd
My mate shot one in my wood earlier....again so thats 13 this week.

Since the beginging of the year every tree rat i shot i had an obsession with removing the tails as trophy and storing them in my key draw in the porch. Recenltly i had got them out to show a mate when the tops where all maggoty and not very nice :sick: So i chucked them....and that idea is out of the window :laugh:

I've had 217 so far (I have to keep records for landowners), 43 on one site earlier this year in 2days......anyway.......I have just had my local council call and they want me to help with their massive grey problem at one of their country parks.

Problem, it's about 70 acres and about 60 of which is woodland. Now...I have always found shooting a good option especially spring and autumn when the canopy is poor, and trapping fairly unproductive. My problem here is this park is open to the public 24/7, dog walkers love it, the cats prowl at night, children play, assorted "hoodies" do their worst and courting couples do....well whatever they do!

So traps will get nicked or destroyed, poison will kill cats/dogs/etc, gas is not an option, and shooting will cause national headlines, even assuming the council would allow it.

HOW DO I CONTROL THE GREYS?????

Answers asap please I meet the man from the council tomorrow!

Cheers

Deker