The Law on bodygrip placement

I have always thought that to clarify the law better, it would be much clearer to stipulate the length of the start of the tunnel/ cubby to the actual trap say 8inches etc.....

I know we are talking BG's, but there has been a lot of negotiation consultation regarding the kania which is basically housed in a cubby but.....you still need a tunnel so when is a tunnel a tunnel :blink

a tunnel is any channel, or passageway through ,or under something , and thats as clear as i need it to be.

micky.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There have been a few test cases on this subject.

The law is clear. If you are using spring traps, you must house them within a tunnel, either artificial, or natural. A natural tunnel has been defined as being 'within the overhang of a burrow'.

The housing around a Kania does not contitute a tunnel. To use it legally, you must add a tunnel of some sort. There have been previous threads on this subject.

One more note; if you are using Fenn traps, a tunnel is even more essential as the trap 'throws' its victim upwards when it goes off. If you have no tunnel roof, or a roof which is too high, you run the risk of foul catches.

There have been a few test cases on this subject.

The law is clear. If you are using spring traps, you must house them within a tunnel, either artificial, or natural. A natural tunnel has been defined as being 'within the overhang of a burrow'.

The housing around a Kania does not contitute a tunnel. To use it legally, you must add a tunnel of some sort. There have been previous threads on this subject.

One more note; if you are using Fenn traps, a tunnel is even more essential as the trap 'throws' its victim upwards when it goes off. If you have no tunnel roof, or a roof which is too high, you run the risk of foul catches.

matt , can you tell me exactly where you got your info as i knew i had read about the "within an overhang" bit somewhere , but couldn,t think were

i,m not a fan of the kania , but as i understand it , it is housed in its own tunnel/cubby as the kill bar is within the tunnel/cubby, not looking for an argument , but that is how i see it these laws should be clearer even if only to save arguments on here

food for thought , does the law mean the whole of a set trap has to be in a tunnel or just part of it, i set all my traps in the tunnel/hole as i find they catch better anyway, but the law doesn,t stipulate it

Section 9 (Pest Act 1954) Specifies that traps set for rabbits or hares must be in rabbit holes. The courts have held that a rabbit hole is that part of a burrow which is inside the ground and covered by the roof, not the ground which is scraped away outside; the trap must be wholly within the overhang of the burrow.

Source of this information: Fair Game by Charlie Parkes & John Thornley ( The law of countrysports and the protection of wildlife)

Hope this Helps......... ;)

Rolfe.

i,m not a fan of the kania , but as i understand it , it is housed in its own tunnel/cubby as the kill bar is within the tunnel/cubby, not looking for an argument , but that is how i see it these laws should be clearer even if only to save arguments on here

food for thought , does the law mean the whole of a set trap has to be in a tunnel or just part of it, i set all my traps in the tunnel/hole as i find they catch better anyway, but the law doesn,t stipulate it

The Kania trap that was submitted for approval included the housing (which is part of the trap). If no tunnel was needed, the order wouldn't have specified it.

theres too many grey areas when it comes to regulations, not only in pest control but everything else as far as I'm concerned...

i think when it comes to using traps in tunnels, be it man made or natural they should be more specific, eg: how many inches it should be from the edge of the tunnel, ect.

just a case of using some savvy, but i always make sure i place my mk4 & mk6`s at least 6" from either entrance inside a tunnel & camoflage them the best i can where possible....

here's my kania.. ;)

DSC00816.jpg

Guest jbswildlife

after setting a trap, you should ask yourself these questions. Is it hidden, is it the best place to catch the target, can it be touched by dogs etc, is it secure, can it be seen after being triggered, how would a passer by that noticed it think, could a child get at it.

Section 9 (Pest Act 1954) Specifies that traps set for rabbits or hares must be in rabbit holes. The courts have held that a rabbit hole is that part of a burrow which is inside the ground and covered by the roof, not the ground which is scraped away outside; the trap must be wholly within the overhang of the burrow.

Source of this information: Fair Game by Charlie Parkes & John Thornley ( The law of countrysports and the protection of wildlife)

Hope this Helps......... ;)

Rolfe.

I also have a copy of that book, its great reference, covers all subjects. :thumbs: