What the best ON/OFF Road??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The suzukis will still piss all over ur other 4x4's offroad - even with the hairdressers car reputation ;)

No, I dont think it will ;) .............LR S3 or Defender........off road they are the daddy. :):)

nothing will come near a landcruiser 4.2 td,they the bollox. all locking diffs so can achive proper 4wd not just 2 like landys ect.

my old Defender was pretty hard to beat, but not great on the fuel...or comfort to be honest. Toyota Amazon & Isuzu troopers are pretty capable, if not a bit big off road in the UK...need a tad more space for them.

Got a Volvo xc90 now. No where near the same off road ability as the others, but a shed load better on road ;)

Edited by jojas
Guest oldskool
daihatsu four track's a good little motor mate, cost you F*ck all. Know a few blokes with them, all say theyll owe them nothing if they packed in tomorro

i'm surprised there hasnt been more about daihatsu mentioned on this thread because most of the old sheep farmers where i am use them and they swear by them.... the only thing i heard about them was that parts were a bit pricey...

what about the toyota Rav 4???? i've heard mixed reports on it

• 2 weeks later...

In my own opinion, the best off road, is a short wheel base Defender. But given that the majority of users will never test it to one half of its capeability, it leaves you with many other viable options.

Most of the stuff mentioned on this thread will be a good compromise. The two things you cant compromise on are tyres and ground clearance. If you ground out..you aint going forward, if you loose grip..you aint going forward. The other things toconsider on the real tough stuff are departure and approach angles, where the shorter vehicle with the least overhang will always be better.

I have a Defender, because i like them. But there are better on road vehicles..fact. Although now they have taken the centre bulkhead out, you can get the seat back enough to be comfortable. This particular defender has all the mod cons too.. The best being heated seats..lol

post-14246-1229245715_thumb.jpg

Nice looking landy there Matty, suspiciously clean looking though mate..... :laugh::thumbs:

Mal,

:icon_redface: That particular day was greenlaning in the Lake District, it was a rock outting, not a mud outing...And it rained heavy...

That's my explanation and i'm sticking to it.. :D

Nice looking landy there Matty, suspiciously clean looking though mate..... :laugh::thumbs:

Mal,

:icon_redface: That particular day was greenlaning in the Lake District, it was a rock outting, not a mud outing...And it rained heavy...

That's my explanation and i'm sticking to it.. :D

:clapper: :clapper: