HOW MANY POLES ON A 100 YD NET???

andy s410c

I'm currently in the process of sorting out my qickset nets,2 x100 yds(100% bagging).I've read & been told poles at every 5yds however i had a quick look on Magnum Trapping & they say 13 poles which equates to 7.5 yds give or take :hmm: .What do you experienced fella's think?? :signthankspin: Andy...

I'm currently in the process of sorting out my qickset nets,2 x100 yds(100% bagging).I've read & been told poles at every 5yds however i had a quick look on Magnum Trapping & they say 13 poles which equates to 7.5 yds give or take :hmm: .What do you experienced fella's think?? :signthankspin: Andy...

you must of calculated that wrong, or forgot the first pole, at 8 yard intervals there are 13 poles, and this is 96 yard .this is what i was tought with trad set net years ago.

if you set at 7 yard you will need 15 poles, that will take you to 98 yard if your being exact

6 yards you will need 17 that will take you to 96 yard , and an extra one to make the 100.

and 21 poles at 5 yard intervals,

its your choise fella, TOMO :victory:

WHAT IM ABOUT TO SAY IS PURELY MY OPINIONS, BASED ON MY EXPERIANCE OF USING LONG NETS.

It is my opinion most folk using the basket type set up will use fewwer poles because of the setting height of their nets, in my opinion to high. With the setting height being around 36inch (guessed at after looking at pics on here and in magazines) the distance between each pole will be greater as the sag in the top line will be negated over this length.

Now if like me you use the trad style of nets you will proberbly like me have a setting height of around 18-22inch, so the top line is closer to the ground and will not allow for the top line to sag over a greater distance. And with a shorter distance between poles you will be able to get the top line tighter( which in my opinion is very important).

Now, with the top line being higher on some net due to the poles spacing you are in fact loosing that all important BELLY in the net. It is my opinions that the BELLY is in fact more important than the BAGGING (running kill). So with this in mind, surely the debate of how many poles (pegs) a net needs should realy be goverened by correct mechanics rather than trend (due to supplyers skimping on poles) style of net (basket or end pins) or our own budget? After all, skimp on pegs, bagging and belly, and your hard earnt (easily spent) cash will not help you catch the rabbits you seek.

fewwer poles= higher setting height=less belly = cheaper outlay= an inefficiant net

more poles = lowwer setting height=slightly more expence=correct belly on net = more rabbits.

of course, the above is only my opinions :whistling:

Edited by mole catcher
About 5/7 yards seem right ,but folk putting them every 5 yards are hoping for a bumper catch and hoping that the net will still be standing to catch them all

maybe, maybe not. i never expect a bumper catch but i always set my nets with ppegs at 5yrds, or as close as i can in the pitch black.

now to catch a bumper catch :hmm: , NOW THAT WOULD BE NICE, WOULDNT IT?

WHAT IM ABOUT TO SAY IS PURELY MY OPINIONS, BASED ON MY EXPERIANCE OF USING LONG NETS.

It is my opinion most folk using the basket type set up will use fewwer poles because of the setting height of their nets, in my opinion to high. With the setting height being around 36inch (guessed at after looking at pics on here and in magazines) the distance between each pole will be greater as the sag in the top line will be negated over this length.

Now if like me you use the trad style of nets you will proberbly like me have a setting height of around 18-22inch, so the top line is closer to the ground and will not allow for the top line to sag over a greater distance. And with a shorter distance between poles you will be able to get the top line tighter( which in my opinion is very important).

Now, with the top line being higher on some net due to the poles spacing you are in fact loosing that all important BELLY in the net. It is my opinions that the BELLY is in fact more important "than the BAGGING (running kill). So with this in mind, surely the debate of how many poles (pegs) a net needs should realy be goverened by correct mechanics rather than trend (due to supplyers skimping on poles) style of net (basket or end pins) or our own budget? After all, skimp on pegs, bagging and belly, and your hard earnt (easily spent) cash will not help you catch the rabbits you seek.

fewwer poles= higher setting height=less belly = cheaper outlay= an inefficiant net

more poles = lowwer setting height=slightly more expence=correct belly on net = more rabbits.

of course, the above is only my opinions :whistling:

"Wonderful", someone that knows how a net should be set.The only thing I would add is that extra poles will be needed on uneven ground.My quick sets are 12 to 13ins high and I have never seen a rabbit jump the net. :victory:

The only thing I would add is that extra poles will be needed on uneven ground.My quick sets are 12 to 13ins high and I have never seen a rabbit jump the net. :victory:

Too true :victory:

This is one thing i have always said about the basket system. With the running lines being tied direct to the poles and in most cases both being held at the same tension, on un-even groud there will be places where the footline (bottom line) will stand clear of the ground. Of course this can be put right by adding a peg. This would meen carrying more gear and more time spent adding the new peg. So with this in mind you are in fact slowing yourself down whilst setting, something at night that you dont realy want, ferreting it wouldnt matter. Where as on the trad set way of setting as you go(i dont meen back pegging as this is a sin ) you can adjust you lines as you go, only traveling the ground once, and that is as you set the net.

Mole-catcher...excellent advice...in fact DOUBLE EXCELLENT advice on the importance of the belly of the net....in fact...if my memory serves me correctly....and rest assured...it normally does...isn,t that the exact same point that I made to you many months ago in one of our numerous hour long telephone calls, when you told me you were going to make a very shallow net and I explained that in my very humble opinion you need both running kill and height kill to make the net as effective as possible....interesting...very interesting....It,s nice to know that at least someone listens to me.... :thumbs:

Regards.

Mapreader

Mole-catcher...excellent advice...in fact DOUBLE EXCELLENT advice on the importance of the belly of the net....in fact...if my memory serves me correctly....and rest assured...it normally does...isn,t that the exact same point that I made to you many months ago in one of our numerous hour long telephone calls, when you told me you were going to make a very shallow net and I explained that in my very humble opinion you need both running kill and height kill to make the net as effective as possible....interesting...very interesting....It,s nice to know that at least someone listens to me.... :thumbs:

Regards.

Mapreader

Hello Mapreader, i thought like me, you to had fallen off the face of the earth, hope your all well and ready for this coming season.

I suppose a net of 12 mesh deep is shallow compared to a net of 14 0r 16 meshes, but then as you and i know, a setting height of say 18-20 inch isnt that high compaered to some netters prefered heights. Then again as i have found out whilst in conversation with both you and other netters, we all have our prefered ways of doing things and gaining advice, no matter how much we think we know is always a goood thing. ;) Best i give you a call soon and catch up with you and see how you have been :yes: