hawke scopes keep losing zero

i have a set of deben hawke scopes 6-24=50 frontiers and for the third time in as many months i'v had to tonight re zero them in ...anyone explain to me why this happens

Could be a variety of reasons. I will list some, others will chip in what i've missed.

Loose scope on the mounts

Loose mounts on the gun

change of ammunition.

Inconsistency of ammo

You dont say if it fac or air? Loss of air power on a precharge towards end of fill? High recoil rifle

Knocked scope or rifle

Knackered scope

Could be your inconsistency in shooting?? Only saying this because i dont know you :icon_redface:

May be this will help

Come on others, what have i missed, i've had a couple by now and the thought process is wavering??

Edited to add loose bolts mounting the gun to the woodwork, pressure from a wet woodern stock on to a floating barrel, then drying out.

Matt

Edited by mattydski
i have a set of deben hawke scopes 6-24=50 frontiers and for the third time in as many months i'v had to tonight re zero them in ...anyone explain to me why this happens

I had a Nite-eye 3-9X50 and it was doing the same thing, but when you tried to re-zero you had to give it more clicks than you should have needed to. I took it back to my dealer, they sent it back and it was faulty, so they gave me all my money back. The scope was 15 months old. Top service from Weldon Gun and Deben. I used the refund to buy a second hand Leupold from Weldon Gun, a top quality scope.

Fastrac10

turret allen screws loose, this has been a problem in a few scopes by hawke......they need checking as they are often very small and will loosen with ease then if you dial up the scope you never get to the same zero after because the dial has moved, thinking you are still on zero, after resetting or dialing down............

if it's on a centrefire rifle then its your own fault as they will not take excessive recoil...........by which i mean over a period of time.

:gunsmilie:

I had a Nite-eye 3-9X50 and it was doing the same thing, but when you tried to re-zero you had to give it more clicks than you should have needed to. I took it back to my dealer, they sent it back and it was faulty, so they gave me all my money back. The scope was 15 months old. Top service from Weldon Gun and Deben. I used the refund to buy a second hand Leupold from Weldon Gun, a top quality scope.

Fastrac10

Oh dont say that i just bought a set :icon_eek:

I had problems with my hawke nite eye 3-12x50. zero kept changing on my theoben evolution. at the time I was part exing the gun anyway so i didnt bother sending it back or out.

Same gun and scopes now you got me really worried :wallbash:

Edited by scothunter
I had problems with my hawke nite eye 3-12x50. zero kept changing on my theoben evolution. at the time I was part exing the gun anyway so i didnt bother sending it back or out.

Yeh thats spooky that like. id be gettin really worried now lol !!

fuk off lol :tongue2:

Yeh thats spooky that like. id be gettin really worried now lol !!

fuk off lol :tongue2:

thanks everyone for your reply's ..i took the scopes back to the shop in rugby and he said there was nothing wrong with the scopes even tho i'v had to rezero them twice in 3 days ...he said it was because the gun barrell was cold that i had to shoot some bulletts into the ground first then the gun would be alright i this right or me being new to gun shooting or is he trying to make a fkin mug out of me..then he said that the mod was too long then the bullets might be catching the mod inside....its a 1.7 anchutz mod was made by local gun smith

thanks everyone for your reply's ..i took the scopes back to the shop in rugby and he said there was nothing wrong with the scopes even tho i'v had to rezero them twice in 3 days ...he said it was because the gun barrell was cold that i had to shoot some bulletts into the ground first then the gun would be alright i this right or me being new to gun shooting or is he trying to make a fkin mug out of me..then he said that the mod was too long then the bullets might be catching the mod inside....its a 1.7 anchutz mod was made by local gun smith

It is possible that a zero will change with a hot barrel on non varmint barrels. It is possible that the first shot from a clean barrel will have adifferent zero from the next shot.

The question is though, how many of us when shooting get the opportunity to keep our barrels warm by shooting in to the ground prior to guaranteeing a humane kill. Doesnt happen!!

How much of a change in zero are we talking about? Would it be out of the kill zone at your zero range?

Unless you have missunderstood his explanation, i dont agree with with the explanation as you have understood it. If that makes sense.

As for the mod catching, shoot a group with out the mod, see if changes.

:thumbs: matt

2 days ago i went for a shoot and missed a bunny at about 90 yards so i put up a target took some shots they were about 8 inches to the left so i got them back on zero with about 6 more shots ...i then put the my 1.7 back in the gun cabinet 2 day later i went for a shoot only for the same thing to happen it seems the scopes have gone to the left again i put both targets together the first shot was in roughly in the same spot only a nats nagger out so theres me problem..took the gun and scope back to rugby gun shop terry said he was going to take my gun out for a shoot with a new mod and try this that and the other ...maybe i should take an electric blanket with me so my barrell will be warm..(lol)...john

just had a fone call from the gunshop i was told it was a dirty barrell and thats why it was shooting to the left ...i dont know if this is right maybe someone can tell me ....i use kg12 cleaner even if i shoot one bullett i clean my gun .....i dont know if hes taking the pi**or he is telling the truth ...john

thats piss mate, if it shoots consistantly to the left then it only needs the turrets turning to adjust for zero, if you aim at your target and are a fairly good shot then you should have no problem keeping close to target zero.....if however the bullet strike is all over the place then its the scope.........