Personally i think the whole idea stinks. If the deer are doing prolific damage, then they must be showing themselves in the daytime, as for shooting a doe when she is caring for her young, well that is incomprehensible.

basil.

basil...you have to open your mind to the MAJOR difference between VERMIN CONTROL (As defined by man) and licenced in these circumstances: and sport. These are 2 very different things and must not be confused....nobody wants to cause deliberate suffering to any animal but if control is required then the young go as well; as humanely as possible!!

I still don`t agree with it. Someone didn`t do their planning very well. If the deer numbers were out of control, why plant a load of saplings which surely he must of known would attract the deer. The deer have only become a pest because of someone elses ignorance.

basil.

basil.....I would tend to agree with some of this as well...BUT ..... I go back to my original post.....which one or two other people also seem to have picked up on, and to which I still wait a response from the author of this post>>>>>

What country are you in??

22-250 will kill a Roe easily in any country but is still not legal in England and Wales.

What is the B******t about bigger calibres at night and what rational has been suggested for this.

Do you have a licence for ..

Night shooting?

Out of season shooting?

Who granted it???

Yours curiously.....

Sorry but thought I had answered earlier but here goes. I am in Scotland and a vermin controler. 22/250 is my prefered calibre for Roe for a lot of reasons that I will not go into but there is no requirement for shooting at night ( just a courtesy ph. call to the local police office to let them know we are on sight and again when we are finished for the night. ) No licence is required either for taking deer out of season either. The land owner applied for the permissions as technically we are employees (under contract) . The damage was inspected by a guy from the forestry commision and and two others in the group were an official from Tayside police and the local firearms officer.

Lastly the question of larger calibres for night shooting....... Long winded but ultimately it's to ensure a clean kill. ( thats a debate in itself.)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are good lads giving good advice on this thread and asking questions, rightly so, be a shame if it is a wind up.

No wind up and brilliant chat .

I had a chat with BASC about shooting marauding deer out of season and was told to be very careful as you'd have to justify beyond any reasonable doubt why sufficient couldn't be dealt with during the season.

My problem is a farmer who has a lot of Roe eating his crops and so need thinning out. No question of night shooting, I couldn't justify it and wouldn't want to anyway but during the day, and only on the specific fields being damaged I can legally shoot marauding deer. But, and its a big but, now I'm not keen on doing it based on the advice given.

England by the way :victory::whistling:

There are good lads giving good advice on this thread and asking questions, rightly so, be a shame if it is a wind up.

I had a chat with BASC about shooting marauding deer out of season and was told to be very careful as you'd have to justify beyond any reasonable doubt why sufficient couldn't be dealt with during the season.

My problem is a farmer who has a lot of Roe eating his crops and so need thinning out. No question of night shooting, I couldn't justify it and wouldn't want to anyway but during the day, and only on the specific fields being damaged I can legally shoot marauding deer. But, and its a big but, now I'm not keen on doing it based on the advice given.

What the F**k is a marauding deer??????.....since 2007 in England and Wales you need a licence to shoot deer at night, and a seperate licence to shoot them out of season...if by some chance marauding refers to "endangerment to life" you can shoot any animal, at any time under these circumstamnces!!!

What the F**k is a marauding deer??????.....since 2007 in England and Wales you need a licence to shoot deer at night, and a seperate licence to shoot them out of season...if by some chance marauding refers to "endangerment to life" you can shoot any animal, at any time under these circumstamnces!!!

Deer doing excessive crop damage is what the F**k it is Deker and only on the actual fields that they're excessively crop damaging. I did say that there was no question of night shooting as I couldn't justify it. Doesn't that suggest I wouldn't apply for a night licence? You need a licence for shooting deer out of season unless they're causing excessive damage. Check it out.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countrysi...advicenote2.pdf

Catch up man :rtfm::air_kiss:

Edited by DaveK
Personally i think the whole idea stinks. If the deer are doing prolific damage, then they must be showing themselves in the daytime, as for shooting a doe when she is caring for her young, well that is incomprehensible.

basil.

basil...you have to open your mind to the MAJOR difference between VERMIN CONTROL (As defined by man) and licenced in these circumstances: and sport. These are 2 very different things and must not be confused....nobody wants to cause deliberate suffering to any animal but if control is required then the young go as well; as humanely as possible!!

I still don`t agree with it. Someone didn`t do their planning very well. If the deer numbers were out of control, why plant a load of saplings which surely he must of known would attract the deer. The deer have only become a pest because of someone elses ignorance.

basil.

basil.....I would tend to agree with some of this as well...BUT ..... I go back to my original post.....which one or two other people also seem to have picked up on, and to which I still wait a response from the author of this post>>>>>

What country are you in??

22-250 will kill a Roe easily in any country but is still not legal in England and Wales.

What is the B******t about bigger calibres at night and what rational has been suggested for this.

Do you have a licence for ..

Night shooting?

Out of season shooting?

Who granted it???

Yours curiously.....

Sorry but thought I had answered earlier but here goes. I am in Scotland and a vermin controler. 22/250 is my prefered calibre for Roe for a lot of reasons that I will not go into but there is no requirement for shooting at night ( just a courtesy ph. call to the local police office to let them know we are on sight and again when we are finished for the night. ) No licence is required either for taking deer out of season either. The land owner applied for the permissions as technically we are employees (under contract) . The damage was inspected by a guy from the forestry commision and and two others in the group were an official from Tayside police and the local firearms officer.

Lastly the question of larger calibres for night shooting....... Long winded but ultimately it's to ensure a clean kill. ( thats a debate in itself.)

http://www.dcs.gov.uk/bestpractice/reference/dcs_night.aspx

This suggests a 'licence' is required for night shooting, in the form of written permission from the DCS. Be sure you have this.

As for a bigger calibre, it's a roe deer for crying out loud. The law permits the use of a 22 CF up there, so use one! 243 is SOOOO not required for a roe deer. Stupid law down here!

I would think if the landowner has the permission you'd be OK. But, I would want to see it before I starting knocking over bambi under a lamp though.

But I can't find anything anywhere that says you need a bigger gun for night work, and tbh that's a load of crap from a simple view of getting the job done. I can shoot just as accurately at night as I can in the day. If I find myself in a position where I can't see very well, I don't take the shot. Simple as...

Deker

Actually "marauding" is the term used in the 1991 deer act. I have 12 bore slugs on my ticket specifically conditioned for such use.

No special license is required to shoot marauding deer out of season, one must simply comply with the terms of the deer act 1991 and I stress be able to prove the need.

Night shooting is another ball game.

Deker

Actually "marauding" is the term used in the 1991 deer act. I have 12 bore slugs on my ticket specifically conditioned for such use.

No special license is required to shoot marauding deer out of season, one must simply comply with the terms of the deer act 1991 and I stress be able to prove the need.

:signthankspin: :stupid: :stupid:

Deker

:signthankspin: :stupid: :stupid:

The 1991 Act was the subject of LOADS of amendments in 2007, there was no requirement for a licence to shoot out of season under the 1991 Act, just had to comply with some of the terms/conditions...this has now all changed and you need a Licence! England & Wales!!!

Night shooting was always another ball game but you still need a licence for night shooting...England & Wales

Deer doing excessive crop damage is what the F**k it is Deker and only on the actual fields that they're excessively crop damaging. I did say that there was no question of night shooting as I couldn't justify it. Doesn't that suggest I wouldn't apply for a night licence? You need a licence for shooting deer out of season unless they're causing excessive damage. Check it out.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countrysi...advicenote2.pdf

Catch up man :rtfm::air_kiss:

Where do you get off..... "Catch up man" you have just quoted some ancient history....kindly get your facts right...I don't give a **** where you got this from it is wrong and out of date, even the game seasons have changed.......

Perhaps you would be kind enough to answer my original question and point me in the direction of the 1991 Deer Act or 2007 Deer Act Amendment and tell me where it refers to "marauding" deer in either of these? It is a term I do not recall from the legislation so I need to check..thank you! I

Edited by Deker
What the F**k is a marauding deer??????.....

Where do you get off..... "Catch up man" [

Maybe if you weren't so aggressive in replying to posts you'd get a more polite response. Now go and find it for yourself :wankerzo4:

I asked BASC and it still applies apparently :whistling:

But making the assumption that you're the expert in these matters and not the BASC deer department, I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

Edited by DaveK

Maybe if you weren't so aggressive in replying to posts you'd get a more polite response. Now go and find it for yourself :wankerzo4:

I asked BASC and it still applies apparently :whistling: WHEN ..... see email below from BASC and note the date..but regardless of when they told you, the Government makes the laws in this country not the BASC!!

But making the assumption that you're the expert in these matters and not the BASC deer department, I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

Good cop out...but I can't help thinking I wasn't the cocky git telling me I was stupid and to "catch up"........There were several changes that effected Deer last year and they were contained in the Game Act Amendment and Deer Act Amendment which BOTH came into force last year ..so the term "marauding" does not appear then...funny that I didn't think you would answer that one...and the BASC have still not updated their website apparently...try telling them that when you end up in court...and I'm not an expert...I simply read legislation that applies to what I do!!!

Email the BASC Deer Department...they are very good at answering and will CONFIRM that I am correct!...They will also explain why their web site is still wrong...if indeed it still is an they have not corrected it yet!! However unlike you I can help....READ this and it will explain more.....

Subject: RE: Deer Act Amendments

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:40:12 +0100

Dear Deker

Thank you for your email.

The Stalking Code of Practise has been revised in line with current legislation. But as I’m sure you are aware it is a joint publication with other shooting organisations and we are awaiting their approval of the revised text and layout before the new Code of Practise is released.

You may rest assured that we will post the updated Code of Practise as soon as it has been approved.

Kind regards

Chris Brooks

Deer Projects Officer

British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC)

Marford Mill

Rossett

Wrexham

LL12 0HL

Tel: 01244 573047

Fax:01244 573013

I may well be abrupt...how about..."I'm every so sorry to suggest it but I think you are mistaken, and kindly do not wave silly flags at me, suggest I am out of touch and stupid......" :thumbs:

But certain idiots leave me with a limited selection of words... I am still interested...is "marauding" a term used ANYWHERE in the legislation??

One thing I can guarantee though is... .when I am wrong (which actually does happen occasionally :whistling: ) I apologise and accept it, I don't try and get sarcastic...that really doesn't work....

Edited by Deker

I asked BASC and it still applies apparently :whistling: WHEN ..... see email below from BASC and note the date..but regardless of when they told you, the Government makes the laws in this country not the BASC!!

Good cop out...but I can't help thinking I wasn't the cocky git telling me I was stupid and to "catch up"........There were several changes that effected Deer last year and they were contained in the Game Act Amendment and Deer Act Amendment which BOTH came into force last year ..so the term "marauding" does not appear then...funny that I didn't think you would answer that one...and the BASC have still not updated their website apparently...try telling them that when you end up in court...and I'm not an expert...I simply read legislation that applies to what I do!!!

Email the BASC Deer Department...they are very good at answering and will CONFIRM that I am correct!...They will also explain why their web site is still wrong...if indeed it still is an they have not corrected it yet!! However unlike you I can help....READ this and it will explain more.....

Subject: RE: Deer Act Amendments

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:40:12 +0100

Dear Deker

Thank you for your email.

The Stalking Code of Practise has been revised in line with current legislation. But as I’m sure you are aware it is a joint publication with other shooting organisations and we are awaiting their approval of the revised text and layout before the new Code of Practise is released.

You may rest assured that we will post the updated Code of Practise as soon as it has been approved.

Kind regards

Chris Brooks

Deer Projects Officer

British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC)

Marford Mill

Rossett

Wrexham

LL12 0HL

Tel: 01244 573047

Fax:01244 573013

I may well be abrupt...how about..."I'm every so sorry to suggest it but I think you are mistaken, and kindly do not wave silly flags at me, suggest I am out of touch and stupid......" :thumbs:

But certain idiots leave me with a limited selection of words... I am still interested...is "marauding" a term used ANYWHERE in the legislation??

One thing I can guarantee though is... .when I am wrong (which actually does happen occasionally :whistling: ) I apologise and accept it, I don't try and get sarcastic...that really doesn't work....

Nowhere did I say you are stupid Deker, nor would I as I don't know you. But I'm beginning to think you're a bit too touchy and looking for confrontation. Are you ginger? Are you small or are you both.

Until BASC tell me that the rules have changed (after recently telling me on the phone, not by email (a 20+ minute conversation) that it's still legal to shoot marauding deer without a license to do it) I'll continue to believe it. Doesn't mean I'll do it as previously mentioned.

Similarly to you, if you show me I'm wrong I'll admit it and stand corrected (then give BASC a beasting) but why would you need to apologise for being wrong? Dunno about you not being sarcastic. I think you'll find you are mate. And so am I for that matter and really we're arguing over something that needs bottoming out one way or another but us butting heads isn't going to solve it. Far from it, It'll only show that this forum can degenerate into the antics found on one or two others. I didn't come on here for that.

We're both interested in the correct answer whatever it is, as are probably everyone else reading this topic so, instead of us both doing the "my knob is bigger than yours" ritual, shouldn't we be working together for a definitive answer? :victory: I'll be phoning BASC again in the morning to discuss the mixed messages they seem to be putting out.

Do a google search for Marauding deer and look through the house of lords debates.

Oh! and by the way :wub: :wub: :wub: