i've just gone back to making up there feed aldi beans cheap frozen peas, or any veg on offer, cheap sardines , and i buy a large bag of rice,and frozen mince http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/ the rice mixed with mince is the main stay, with veg which as been blended with the beans, and i get sheeps heads and necks off a mate every so often

http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk/

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest reload

Did seven warm tripes, 10 hearts and beef skirt and shin all wacked through the mincer. Made a good mix for basic feeding:good: I use more tripe this time of year as the dogs are doing less :good:

Bones sure keep the dogs happy :good:

Dsc00382.jpg

Dsc00374.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I feed the best complete diet available today - complete, fresh, raw carcases :rocker:

You just can't beat good fresh food - it shows in the dogs big time, not to mention on the kennel floors (hardly any clean up, just a few hard, chalky bone-pellets which flies can't stand - bonus!).

Most (99%) of dog foods with meat as the 'main' ingredient either have the water removed, meaning meat is no longer the main ingredient, or play clever with the labels. That is, listing "Dried chicken, corn meal, ground maize... etc" - so when you add the corn products up, there's a lot more corn than meat!

Even so, I'd never feed kibble to a dog now (jmho). Most of the protein is plant-derived, and all those carbs and by products are just no good :sick:

I must admit, without wanting to offend anyone unduly, it always worries me to see people actually bragging about how they feed the cheapest kibble around "Wow I feed this bag of stuff 'Shiteylite' and its only £2 a ton!"... come on guys, how can you expect the feed to be anything like adequate at those prices?

It's a hell of a lot cheaper (even free) to feed a carnivores' diet - so why bother with crap in a sack? I used to feed Autarky years ago, but even that is mostly corn - >50%. Straight in one end and out the other. Like the computer phrase goes, Garbage In Garbage Out.

With the raw diet, all the goodness is digested and all thats left is some undigested bone powder. Can't beat it I reckon! Dogs are carnivores, and carnivores eat other animals - not corn, or rice, or beet, or oats, etc etc.

BTW, just fyi - the Chudleys range is preserved with BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin - known carcinogens. I asked them why they bother putting herbs, glucosamine etc in a 'quality' food, and then spoil it by making it mostly grain and carcinogenic preservatives. The rep wouldn't answer me. Nuff said.

Soz this is so long - I'm well into nutrition lol

Lee

Guest Uncle Fester
I feed the best complete diet available today - complete, fresh, raw carcases  :rocker:

You just can't beat good fresh food - it shows in the dogs big time, not to mention on the kennel floors (hardly any clean up, just a few hard, chalky bone-pellets which flies can't stand - bonus!).

Most (99%) of dog foods with meat as the 'main' ingredient either have the water removed, meaning meat is no longer the main ingredient, or play clever with the labels. That is, listing "Dried chicken, corn meal, ground maize... etc" - so when you add the corn products up, there's a lot more corn than meat!

Even so, I'd never feed kibble to a dog now (jmho).  Most of the protein is plant-derived, and all those carbs and by products are just no good  :sick:

I must admit, without wanting to offend anyone unduly, it always worries me to see people actually bragging about how they feed the cheapest kibble around "Wow I feed this bag of stuff 'Shiteylite' and its only £2 a ton!"... come on guys, how can you expect the feed to be anything like adequate at those prices?

It's a hell of a lot cheaper (even free) to feed a carnivores' diet - so why bother with crap in a sack?  I used to feed Autarky years ago, but even that is mostly corn - >50%. Straight in one end and out the other. Like the computer phrase goes, Garbage In Garbage Out.

With the raw diet, all the goodness is digested and all thats left is some undigested bone powder. Can't beat it I reckon!  Dogs are carnivores, and carnivores eat other animals - not corn, or rice, or beet, or oats, etc etc.

BTW, just fyi - the Chudleys range is preserved with BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin - known carcinogens. I asked them why they bother putting herbs, glucosamine etc in a 'quality' food, and then spoil it by making it mostly grain and carcinogenic preservatives.  The rep wouldn't answer me.  Nuff said.

Lee

good post Lee! theres a saying you are [bANNED TEXT] you eat, well am a bargin bucket :11: :11: :11:

I feed the best complete diet available today - complete, fresh, raw carcases  :rocker:

Even so, I'd never feed kibble to a dog now (jmho).  Most of the protein is plant-derived, and all those carbs and by products are just no good  :sick:

It's a hell of a lot cheaper (even free) to feed a carnivores' diet - so why bother with crap in a sack?  I used to feed Autarky years ago, but even that is mostly corn - >50%. Straight in one end and out the other. Like the computer phrase goes, Garbage In Garbage Out.

With the raw diet, all the goodness is digested and all thats left is some undigested bone powder. Can't beat it I reckon!  Dogs are carnivores, and carnivores eat other animals - not corn, or rice, or beet, or oats, etc etc.

BTW, just fyi - the Chudleys range is preserved with BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin - known carcinogens. I asked them why they bother putting herbs, glucosamine etc in a 'quality' food, and then spoil it by making it mostly grain and carcinogenic preservatives.  The rep wouldn't answer me.  Nuff said.

Lee

Informative post there, if memory serves me right the name "rain maker kennels" rings a bell.. you have a web site on nutrition or some thing? Will have a look through my bookmarks, im sure of it lol

EDITED TO ADD : Yep i knew id seen the name , Click Here again, Informative.

Guest chilli

dogs are skavingers firstly though ,eat wat they can [bANNED TEXT] they can id like to see some scientific evidence about some of the things people (not sayin you rmk) say about dogs diets .

if you want to feed your dogs on meat only everyday go pets at home u can buy frozen blocks of meat by a company called prize choice the blocks weigh 400g an do not have any shit put in an they cost at most 60p a block .this is wat mine get if i do not have any game in freezer to give them

http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/

very good site with some quaility products some of which you stuggle to get from butchers because theres no call for it

Guest Keeps
dogs are skavingers firstly though ,eat wat they can [bANNED TEXT] they can id like to see some scientific evidence about some of the things people (not sayin you rmk) say about dogs diets .

How very true chilli, my big dog was helping herself to beef cobbler, vegetables & cheese scones last night in the kitchen :rolleyes: :realmad:

Mine get complete food as well as raw meat,vegetables & bones alternately, together with the odd cheese scone :blink:

Guest CharlieC

years ago when I did a lot more hunting than I do now :icon_redface::D I never bought dogfood at all, my partner in crime at the time used to raid the big sandwich factory skip and get all the out of date peices, bread crusts etc, we used to put everything we caught through a mincer and mix with the sandwiches, and he also used to raid a butchers skip full of bones, out of date mince, sausages etc. Most of the stuff was pretty bloody good quality grub, if he went on a friday he would get stuff that would be in date to the following Monday, I used to eat a lot of the peices myself :icon_redface::D the chicken and black pepper ones were brilliant :11:

Anyway, this went on for a good few years and I can honestly say it was the best and most varied diet the dogs had, they always looked great, nice and shiny and full of beans and always ran well.

Eventually the sandwich factory people cottoned on to what was going on (I think a bit of bribery with the security guards to avert eyes had been going on :D ) and they brought in a huge crusher machine to crush all the waste sandwiches :realmad: imagine that, they would rather crush them up than let someone have them for the dogs :realmad: Its all to do with health and safety laws and covereing their backs so no one can sue their ass for eating a dodgy peice.

So that was when I started to feed a mix of dry and raw - if I had less dogs I would feed raw only, but when you have a few it makes sense to bulk buy some cheap meal to make the meat go a bit further.

I use Erics green special (Borderfox I think its the same stuff you buy? about £7 a bag from Blendbetters in Carlisle?) and mix that with raw minced tripe, rabbit and hare meat, and a sprinkling of high protein puppy food (alpha I think its called?) the bitches and pups stay on the high protein and tripe until the pups are speaned off, and pups stay on it until theyre about ayear old, or if theyre doing a lot of work.

It costs me about £60 a month and that feeds around 8-10 medium sized dogs, several of which are usually pups, whelping bitches or dogs in work, not bad really when you weight it up :good:

Guest chilli

How very true chilli, my big dog was helping herself to beef cobbler, vegetables & cheese scones last night in the kitchen :rolleyes: :realmad:

Mine get complete food as well as raw meat,vegetables & bones alternately, together with the odd cheese scone :blink:

the pup had the lamb joint of the side the round me mums other week and has figured out how to get the bin open little bugger :11:

Re: all replies since my post. Yes some people state dogs are omnivores, but genetically and environmentally I believe they are carnivores by design. We domesticated the wolf but we didn't alter it's digestive system or food preferences!

Their digestive system is not designed to handle grains or vegetation. That IS a scientific fact. No wild dog or wolf raids the corn field, unless they're lurking there looking for birds and rabbits :11: :diablo:

Take a look at your dog next time s/he eats a whole rabbit carcass (skin, fur and all) - most dogs will eat the guts and chyme (digested grass) but ignore the stomach with not-yet-digested grass. Ditto if you can manage to feed them an entire cow's stomach (full tripe - not cut).

Not saying this is true for all dogs, just my observations.

Generally I find dogs eating grass either don't get much fur and feather (ie daily), and are looking to add fibre to their diet, or are looking for minerals. Stabs, that's certainly not a dig at you mate - my smaller bulldog munched grass like a cow before I started feeding furred rabbits rather than just RMBs etc. That's how I made the connection to fibre. Take a look at their shit after eating grass, it's always there at the other end - nothing digested.

Heck, maybe they just LIKE eating grass - I like sweets and coke (cola :p ) but it doesn't mean there's any nutrition in them :)

Again, all this is just mho, I know just as much as the next guy - only my opinions might be different to most :D

BTW, yep that's my site (Mac was it?) - I used to feed veggies etc until I read Tom Lonsdale's book "Raw Meaty Bones Promote Health". He mentioned if dogs need veggies so much (omnivorous) how come we have to puree them in the blender for them to be capable of digesting any goodness out of them? Good point I reckon. So now I just feed whole carcases and RMBs etc.

The site is undergoing a huge overhaul so you'll probably not wanna bother visiting again just yet. A lot of stuff is getting changed, especially on the BARF page.

RE: AMP Prize Choice products. Yep they have some decent stuff for sale - I used them for years and still buy their meaty chunks etc. Just make sure you don't rely on the mince and blocks alone mate. Not enough there to chew and keep teeth clean and free of periodontal disease. Plenty of good raw meaty bones, whole hearts, liver, kidney, and some of those blocks is good - just don't feed blocks alone :)

Anyway, I got some pics of my hounds/bulldogs today - just trying to find the bloody USB cable to attach my cam to the pc LOL *tearing hair out looking*

Cheers,

Lee