check where he would go for water,pigs are like cattle and often use the same track each day so be on the lookout for tracks etc leading away from water,once you find where he is walling and drinking just wait there at different times throughout the day,in the middle of the heat is good as they are never to far away from water when hot

check where he would go for water,pigs are like cattle and often use the same track each day so be on the lookout for tracks etc leading away from water,once you find where he is walling and drinking just wait there at different times throughout the day,in the middle of the heat is good as they are never to far away from water when hot

Feck you'll have to wait a long time, have you ever been to Blitey in February Clinton

Good stuff Fish, the most tell tale sign of pigs is rooting up of the ground, they will do this as they travel along. Look for mud against foliage or tree trunks and boar shite.

Try locating the spoor beside the road where the pig crossed as a starting point.

The first thing you usually find is shite and rooted up ground. Sounds interesting mate, keep us up to date please.

By the way big droppings mean big pig. Good luck.

I have found that areas where there is a concentration of shit indicates a bedding area nearby.If you find shit of different ages then find the most travelled path and wait there before dawn.Go in at midnight and sit silently.Plan your route in during daylight and mark it with toilet paper at eye level.Have several sitting options depending on wind direction and stay silent.Guess you can't dig a pit?

Central to all the sitting positions you must place some bait (dead chicken etc) to force the pig to stop for a short while.

Or just get a good couple of dogs!

What time of day was he spotted?

Fish, this is a pic of a big boar print, note the dew claw marks designated by the black lines. This was a monster pig, very deep prints and the dew claws are a shore sign of this. Also the height at which you find mud on foliage or trunks obviously will give an indication on size.

post-11073-1202551513.jpg

the boar was about agood 30 inches at the shoulder and very long.ive been to the place it was first seen,that end the track goes to a small pond.the other way i havent checked yet. it was seen early in the morning .i maywell use a dead pheasant as bait too. i am also considering using a tree stand as i dont want some pissed off boar taking a chunk out of me!

the boar was about agood 30 inches at the shoulder and very long.ive been to the place it was first seen,that end the track goes to a small pond.the other way i havent checked yet. it was seen early in the morning .i maywell use a dead pheasant as bait too. i am also considering using a tree stand as i dont want some pissed off boar taking a chunk out of me!

Tree stands a good idea for the scent factor - just limiting for your shooting options if he doesn't come axactly where you want.

I guess the area has some human traffic so you can probably rule out the pig will visit the water during full daylight - which means the water is his last buisness before hiding.

You write it was very long - makes me think a mixed bred pig - some domestic/wild boar cross.

Visit the water every early morning for a week and learn the pigs schedule.

Follow all tracks away from the water as far as possible.

A hound had been lost all night, the next morning we were blowing for him, thats when I found these tracks.

trottergonedigging.jpgtrotter1gonedigging.jpg

Not a big pig, but good clear tracks, ive got some photos of pig trees but theyre on my old pc.

The tusk marks are a bit concerning!

Id say keep youre eye on muddy wallows or where water runs overground down to a stream or river,

not only do they love it, but the ground is soft enough to see the tracks.

Im working at a house next week where he is having trouble with boar on his lawn, ill try and remember the camera, it looks like a jcb has been wheelspining on it. if I was him id be having an eye out all night. Strictly for scientific purposes :whistling:

Edited by GD Waz