Advice wanted

Just wondering if anybody could help me out with an issue with an old air rifle i was given by the (mrs) grandad just before he passed. I dont know an awful lot about any rifles or guns at all as ive always been into running dogs. The rifle is an old webley hawk mk2, 1.77 but its the interchangeable barrel and can be switched to a 2.2. Anyway its smokes when fired and smells also?!?!?!?!?!?!

any thoughts please??

9 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

Sounds like it's dieseling mate - there could be grease in front of the piston that's combusting when it's fired.

....... a strip and clean should sort it :thumbs:

The image below might help.

24526.gif

Thanks mate, dont think i could manage that myself as ive never even seen the insides of any rifle, have to be a shop job i think. Maybe even cost more than the rifles worth in money but its sentimental value as its getting passed down to my son when hes a bit older as the rifle was his great grandads who passed a few months before my son was born. 

How much roughly am i looking at for a strip and clean???

It's nice when they have sentimental value like that :yes:

I wouldn't know how much a shop would charge - I've always done my own.

If you fancy giving it a go, they're really not complicated - we're really only talking a chamber where a spring pushes a piston forward to ram air up a barrel, behind a pellet.

....... it won't be a complete disassembly like the diagram.

Have a look at this link - you may need to copy and paste it into your browser.

angryangryguncompany.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/webley-and-scott-hawk-mk-ii.html?m=1

Alternatively, get stuck in and, take pictures as you go.

........ There's loads of knowledge on here - someone will have answers if you get stuck :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

It's nice when they have sentimental value like that :yes:

I wouldn't knowhow much a shop would charge - I've always done my own.

If you fancy giving it a go, they're really not complicated - we're really only talking a chamber where a spring pushes a piston forward to ram up a barrel, behind a pellet.

....... it won't be a complete disassembly like the diagram.

Have a look at this link - you may need to copy and paste it into your browser.

angryangryguncompany.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/webley-and-scott-hawk-mk-ii.html?m=1

Alternatively, get stuck in and, take pictures as you go.

........ There's loads of knowledge on here - someone will have answers if you get stuck :thumbs:

Many thanks, might attempt it then. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mark williams said:

A big, very helpful chap off here.

Be careful though, he`s gay I`m told, (off Mitch). :air_kiss:

Ill fecking gay you twat

As it happens im stripping one as we speak

there is nothing to it ,

as Jon has say,d its not a complete strip down

pics to follow and what you have to do .

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Haha 3

Right this one im doing is a mk2 in a mk3 stock

so dont let the pic throw you off lol

take the stock off the action you dont need to take both screws out of the trigger guard as the back one holds the guard in place and dose not fasten into the action .

just take the front screw out and the two in the fore stock

P160113_14.02.jpg

P160113_14.03.jpg

P160113_14.03_[01].jpg

P160113_14.04.jpg

Dont take any notice of the trigger being missing on this one as iv taken it off to work on it

Right once the action is out of the stock you need to push down on the end cap to re-leave the tension on the holding pin

as shown in the pics .

once you have done this you need to tap the pin out with a punch or old screw driver smaller than the pin or it will only tap out so far .

once the pin is out release the pressure on the cap DO NOT TAKE YOUR HAND AWAY AND LET IT GO

do it slowly or it could fly out and hurt some one .

once the cap is out take the spring out

P160113_14.04_[01].jpg

P160113_14.04_[02].jpg

P160113_14.05.jpg

P160113_14.05_[01].jpg

You then need to take the barrel off as you need the cocking arm out of the cylinder to release the piston

brake the barrel as its easier to release the pin that holds the barrel in place

tap this out and remove the barrel and the breach they should come off in one

then pull the barrel forward until the cocking arm falls out

you can then remove the piston if its in tight use a flat screw driver to push it out

when you take the barrel and the breach out you only need to tap the pin out that holds the breach in not the big one that is next to it on the cylinder

right once the barrel comes out remove the locking pin and spring as these will fall out any way

pics 6 and 7

P160113_14.05_[02].jpg

P160113_14.06.jpg

P160113_14.07_[01].jpg

P160113_14.08.jpg

P160113_14.08_[01].jpg

P160113_14.10.jpg

P160113_14.11.jpg

Now when you put the barrel back in the cylinder

put the locking pin and spring back in first before you place the barrel back in the cylinder

you will need to push the locking pin down with some thing as the pin slides a cross this locking pin to hold it and the barrel back in place .

A good tip is take pics of every thing before and after you have removed some thing that way you have some thing to look back on as you reassemble the action .

also get an old tub and place all the parts in it that way you dont loose any thing

hope this helps

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

P160113_14.09.jpg