no 2 in the bag

terryd

Well we bagged our second ferreted rabbit of the season this morning. On a roll now  :laugh:  It sure does make you appreciate them.
I think this lurcher of mine is great watching him working his nose this morning was the best thing. He uses it like a wand even though he can't get in the cover because it is so thick he stands there altering the position of his snout and wafting the air. Bloody great.

I travelled light and didn't have the camera sadly so just a couple of snaps when we got home.

24375457747_a3407de64e_b.jpg

We worked along the top of some forestry for starters and he scented a rabbit a long the top and went crashing down into the woods. Spent some time tracking back and forward but just couldn't get where he needed to get. There was one set of holes I found and he said nothing in there but I ran the ferret through just in case and he was right which chuffed me.
Up into the fields then and a good old black thorn hedge and double fenced. I new where the holes were as we get one out of there every year and sure he enough as he drew level he just started staring at a hole in the middle and gave a little whine which is the confirmation. He never over does it just a little winge and then his quiet while I net up. A real pain in the ass spot where I can hardly get over. Netted up as best I could. Then had to decide the young hob or the experienced jill. I decided on the hob and popped him in and he came straight back out then did the same again. I nearly swapped ferrets but stuck with him and the third time all hell let lose when he found the rabbit. Loads of rumbling and I new that the rabbit had to leave quick with that big lump hanging off his arse.
Sure enough out he came out of an unnetted hole. The lurcher saw him and just smashed into the hedge and dam near had him but pressured him enough to go back down and get nicely back netted  The hob came zooming out in hot pursuit so second one him and his looking good.

Down into the next field then with the dog scenting as went just checking holes at a distance because he couldn't get close. Then he swung around aback tracked and went on point staring at a hole. So into the thick of it again and netted as best I could. Gave the jill a run this time. All was quiet then out came one my side out of an unnetted hole again that I hadn't seen. Up the it went with the dog the other side racing up. While that was happening a second one came out his side and went the other way so he swung around and went after him then. So I  my fault and some slack netting but nice to see a couple about to run another day. In fact next week should do nicely.

Like this young hob too his a real gentle character but shaping up well.

25371495598_ff1780dbb6_b.jpg

• Like 1

I'm guessing your ground is like mine, me and another member of the site spent over 3 hours crawling on our bellies last week trying to net under thorn bushes and nettles.

We ended up with 3 and another 4 escaped from unnetted holes but thats expected I suppose. I'd love to go out and net a bury out in the open just once in a while and not come home with pins and needles in my hands from nettle stings..lol

• Like 1