2 hours ago, charlie caller said:

That would be the best approach Mark indeed, and then bin the crap seal and fit a Vortek, along with the rest of the kit.

Absolutely Tim. :good:

Vortek are being mithered to produce their kit for the FWB Sport and I`m told are about to do so.

Imagine a tuned FWB Sport with the Vortek kit fitted :whistling:

Well I`ve two FWB`s waiting Tim :D

Meanwhile I want an old HW 35E - new piston, Vortek kit and in .177 - mouth watering.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, PeskyWabbits said:

I would like to know....

Right, in the old days we had the HW35 then came the HW80 and we were told that HW35s didn't produce the full power we had all been led to believe and this was all down to the smaller cylinder capacity, whereas the big and beefy HW80 had much more swept volume and oodles more power.

Come forward to more modern times and the HW35 is advertised as full power.

Is this really because of the piston head and maybe better springy things?

Thank you

the piston seals make a massive difference as do the new springs, you can buy a new rifle and fit a vortek seal and get up to 2ftlbf straight of the bat and thats before tinkering with springs..

depending on the rifle... cant see a 35 being any different to the other hw's ive fettled!

atb si 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, mark williams said:

Absolutely Tim. :good:

Vortek are being mithered to produce their kit for the FWB Sport and I`m told are about to do so.

Imagine a tuned FWB Sport with the Vortek kit fitted :whistling:

Well I`ve two FWB`s waiting Tim :D

Meanwhile I want an old HW 35E - new piston, Vortek kit and in .177 - mouth watering.

NEW SPRINGS AND SEALS BEING PRODUCED ALL THE TIME

THAT WILL TRANSFORM OLD RIFLES

THE VORTEK BEING ONE OF THEM NOT HEARD NOTHING BUT GOOD REPORTS ON THESE

AND IF I EVER NEED TO REPLACE A SEAL IN ANY OF THE RIFLES I REFURB THEN A VORTEK IS THE ONE IM GOING FOR

iF I GET ANOTHER HW35 ITS YOURS MARK THATS A PROMISE MATE .

AND IT WILL BE FITTED WITH A VORTEK SEAL.

ATVBJIMMY:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

I bought a brand new hw35e 2 years ago. They come with the new piston and synthetic seal, stroke is 69mm as reported. Shooting 7.9gr crosman premier lite pellets I get an avg velocity of 805fps, so the newer hw35 in stock form as the one I have will yield 11+ fpe.20191210_171637.jpg.7ccc7b239520d39869c761404b3b44a9.jpg

20191210_170316.jpg

• Like 1

Three years on and still a great post :good:

I have a 1976 MK1 FWB Sport 124 fitted with a V- Mach engine by ARC Tuning, Lyn Lewis and it has utterly transformed that old rifle into one very accurate/ powerful hunting classic.( better than todays rifles- no ! )

The purists will scream " sacrilege" as said , I don't care either .( Nostalgia lads :whistling::angel: )

My Sport is now freakin` lethal to small game.( Now as good as todays rifles )

I asked Lyn Lewis his thoughts on the differences between the old HW35E and the new HW35 and he said basically - why would you want to spend all that money making an old rifle shoot as well as a modern HW 35 ?

Your thoughts lads ?

The newer hw35e basically looks like the older one with the Walnut stock, except for the 18.5" barrel instead of the 22" barrel. If you want more power just get the newer one, as I said mine in standard form gives me an avg of 805fps with 7.9gr pellets, that is 11.37 FPE. 

If you get the old one I would just keep it with the leather piston seal. 

Edited by Byhsu
  • Like 1

You can find the newer hw35e able the standard hw35 at Krale, it's an online shop from Netherlands. From the chronograph readings I had it was fps from 785- 817 with 7.9gr, I've only shot my rifle about 500 pellets. If you were to put the vortek pg3 kit you will go over the 12 FPE limit. In USA there is no limit on air rifles, but I feel mine shoots really nice, so I really have no desire to get more power out of her.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I bought a new HW 35K in .22 last year.I wanted a classic Spring rifle and I think the 35 is just about as classic as you can get.

i deliberately put a lower power scope on it 2-7x32 as I wanted to Keep my shots to within 25 yds,a range that I would be confident at taking live game with.So far I have not used the rifle to hunt,purely because I have not practiced enough with it (less than 500 shots)  at the range I can consistently hit the 25mm spinners at 25 yards but not the 12mm ones,not good enough yet.

it shoots nice and smoothish,is easy to cock and is surprisingly quiet (no moderator fitted) I will persevere to get the consinstancey I need before taking it out to hunt.It is running at 10.9 ft lbs using 13.43grn pellets.

I plan to get it tuned to calm the recoil down to aid with accuracy I am looking for (probably by Paul Short) I am very sure the rifle is capable,it's the person pulling the trigger that needs to up his game.

overall it's the most enjoyable springer I have owned,the last being a 97KT (what a lump) and previously a 95,80 and a Lightning Xl Se (?) I just need to shoot it more.

• Like 3