My Pointer Lurcher Diving In To Catch Crayfish!

So my silly lurcher Onsa will hunt pretty much anything we are hunting. Onsa catches the usual stuff you would expect like rabbits, hare, rats, squirrels, cats, possums, raccoons, etc. In addition to that, she likes to go for aquatic prey as well. Onsa started out with catching muskrats by diving head first into the water after escaping muskrats that my mink had flushed from their burrows, progressed to catching the occasional fish while out muskrat hunting, and now she will even dive in after crayfish when I take the mink fishing! Onsa is such a fun dog, and loves to go after whatever we happen to be hunting for at the time. Onsa has learned that I don't want her to try to catch the crayfish while the mink is fishing, because she typically just scares them away. The mink is the MUCH more efficient fisher, as I'm sure you can imagine. So I get after her if she scares away the crayfish when we have the mink out. Onsa now patiently waits while for the mink to catch her typical half a dozen to a dozen crayfish, often pointing to the crayfish she sees without disturbing them, and when the mink is done fishing Onsa gets her turn to catch one or two before we go home. Here's a video showing her diving in after crayfish.............

Edited by Minkenry
  • Like 7

Ha great stuff, watch you don't bust her teeth on rocks lol. I enjoy these bids cheers for posting, Atb Joe

Yeah, I don't worry about that as much with the crayfish, but I do when she's trying to catch faster moving stuff like fish. I check her mouth sometimes after a crazy dive, but so far I haven't seen any bloody lips, chipped teeth, or any other sign that she might be hurting herself. I still worry about it sometimes though.....

Edited by Minkenry

Fair play to you young fella, what with your mink and your dog you must pour some amount of time into messing with your animals.

I personally think that's brilliant.

Thanks! Yeah, hunting is my life! If at all possible I prefer to get out at least once a day, sometimes twice, every day but Sunday. There are weeks when I average 8 or 9 hunts a week. But there are of course times when I'm so busy that I only get to hunt 3 or 4 times a week. I'm constantly working and saving to build up additional income sources so that I can retire early. I'm currently building up my real estate portfolio by purchasing rental property to help build a residual income source, in addition to my other businesses/income sources. When I retire I plan on hunting pretty much all day, every day but Sunday ;) When I do get to that point, I want to get back into falconry. That way I can fly a hawk, hunt with my mink, and of course have a dog or two to go along with both, in addition to doing hunting with just the dog. I also hope to get back into horses, that why I can fly my hawk from horse back, and follow my coursing dogs during the chase. Plus I just miss ridding horses in general. But yeah, it's all just a dream now, until I can get enough residual income sources to make it a reality.

Edited by Minkenry
  • Like 5