Spawning perhaps Walshie, they knock the crap out of them selves just to release their spawn mate

Or could be jumping to flush gills and grab a bit of oxygen.

Keep an eye on them because this heat is a killer for pond fish

Atb

Rainbows especially triploids don't live a long time. How long have they been in the water and how big is the pond, depth etc?

Some have been in there 2 years. The rest about a year. It's not a very big pond, but it's deep in places. 16ft.

And they are triploids, so definitely not breeding.

Water temperature here have been over 26 degrees and we have lost a fair few fish. Surprised you've only lost one, you probably have but you've not found them in time. This one was probably dragged out ready to be munched.

Have you ever checked your water temps and do you have a good water supply.

• Like 1

Water temperature here have been over 26 degrees and we have lost a fair few fish. Surprised you've only lost one, you probably have but you've not found them in time. This one was probably dragged out ready to be munched.

Yep lack of oxygen in this weather unless there is a spring feeding in fresh water

Have you thought about stocking with brownies instead?

It's probably just died a natural death and been dragged out by something

Natural Resources Wales will only let me stock rainbows. Didn't look like anything had touched it except the flies.

The pond is only about 50 yards by 30 so I'd notice dead ones. I found 2 last year in a brief hot spell and they weren't on the bank. Decent water supply from a tiny stream and outflow into another so the water is always turning over.

Natural Resources Wales will only let me stock rainbows. Didn't look like anything had touched it except the flies.

How the f**k does that work???? Only allowed to stock a non native species :fool:

How the f**k does that work???? Only allowed to stock a non native species :fool:

I can stock coarse fish, but as far as trout are concerned, triploids only. Something to do with the risk of them escaping into surrounding water.

Yeh they wouldn't want you stocking with rainbows that can breed because they will prey on small brown trout and out compete them in the rivers. I'm fairly sure you would be allowed to have brownies in there, give it time and the birds will bring the eggs anyway and you will have them :)

Yeh they wouldn't want you stocking with rainbows that can breed because they will prey on small brown trout and out compete them in the rivers. I'm fairly sure you would be allowed to have brownies in there, give it time and the birds will bring the eggs anyway and you will have them :)

I thought it was because browns didn't do so well in still water. Oh well, I'll have eaten most of them soon enough.

I intend to slowly replace them with tench and crucians now they've done their job of eating the hundreds of stunted rudd. Saw a 1/2 pounder in there the other day.