Decisions Decisions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 walshie

walshie

"English Dai"

• 15,689 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:40 am

We've got an old 03 reg Combo we use for going to the dump/taking the dogs out/poodling around. It can only be worth £500 on a good day. It just failed it's M.O.T as both front springs are broken and both the shocks are leaking badly. The cost to fix it including the new top plates is £400. 

I was considering just buying a new runaround van to see us through another year and scrapping this one, but I could be buying another load of problems. We had the cam belt done on this van a while back and the shocks are the only thing wrong with it. It runs great, good mpg and there aren't even any advisories but paying 80% of the value to get it back on the road is sticking in my throat a bit.

Doing the work myself is beyond my meagre mechanical ability so that isn't an option.

Would you ditch it or repair it?

#2 mad4it

mad4it

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:49 am

if you where nearer i would have done it  for you. 

• walshie and peterhunter86 like this

#3 walshie

walshie

"English Dai"

• 15,689 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:59 am

if you where nearer i would have done it  for you. 

You can be here in 4 hours if you step on it.  :laugh: Nice offer though, thanks. 

#4 mad4it

mad4it

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:05 am

my tools box wont fit in my truck and i would use more fuel than what I would want to be paid. 

#5 FLATTOP

FLATTOP

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:18 am

Get it repaired you know the history of the vehicle cam belt ect if you buy another runaround you will likely inherit some else's problems that they didn't want to fix.

Just my opinion I rarely get rid of vehicles I just get them fixed I've got a Mazda 3 car in my 12th year of ownership and because it gets serviced every year I've only ever replaced a battery which give up the ghost this year and one headlamp bulb in the whole time I've had it.
  • walshie and Hands of Stone like this

#6 Dabhand

Dabhand

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:46 am

We've got an old 03 reg Combo we use for going to the dump/taking the dogs out/poodling around. It can only be worth £500 on a good day. It just failed it's M.O.T as both front springs are broken and both the shocks are leaking badly. The cost to fix it including the new top plates is £400. 

I was considering just buying a new runaround van to see us through another year and scrapping this one, but I could be buying another load of problems. We had the cam belt done on this van a while back and the shocks are the only thing wrong with it. It runs great, good mpg and there aren't even any advisories but paying 80% of the value to get it back on the road is sticking in my throat a bit.

Doing the work myself is beyond my meagre mechanical ability so that isn't an option.

Would you ditch it or repair it?

as already said fix it you could buy a proper banger for another 12 months and spend out a lot more on it

#7 dytkos

dytkos

Northerner-in-Exile

• Donator
  • 8,470 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:56 pm

Fix it, just paid £372 for mot and service on my 5 year old car ffs

Cheers, D.

#8 walshie

walshie

"English Dai"

• 15,689 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:59 pm

Thanks for confirming what I thought lads. it's in being done as we speak. Still going to cry when I fork over the money though.  :cray:

#9 FLATTOP

FLATTOP

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:38 pm

I've got 3 Vehicles Mazda3 Nissan Xtrail and my beloved Ducati the first 3 months of this year they all needed servicing Mots & Insurance now that made me cry the service alone for the bike was £550.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users