11 replies to this topic

#1 Welsh_red

Welsh_red

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:31 pm

Im going to give it a go tomorow . Im going to use the cold water maceration technique for getting the flesh off but im a bit worried about all the teeth falling out . Am i going to be fighting a losing battle triyng this for the first time on such a small skull

#2 j j m

j j m

No2 on the Thl welcoming committee.

• Donator
  • 19,440 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:24 pm

good luck mate

• Welsh_red likes this

#3 Welsh_red

Welsh_red

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:41 pm

good luck mate

cheers , Got all the skin off and a bit of the meat and ive wrapped it in mesh and i have it pegged out by a pile of rubble and wood hoping some beatles eat some of it off . Im planning on putting it on simmer at some point to lose some more of the flesh . Ive seen some people use dermested beatles and they seen perfect but i dont fancy buying and starting a colony off myself so for me its going to have to be part nature and part me getting the skull completely clean

#4 EDDIE B

EDDIE B

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:33 pm

Here's my first attempt of a skull. Not the cleanest looking skull, and lost a couple of little bottom teeth (butter fingers).

shareimage20170116_182009_zpsrjuocdwm.jp

Just left it out for a few months in an onion bag. I'm sure there's better and quicker ways. Lol

Edited by EDDIE B, 16 January 2017 - 06:33 pm.

• peterhunter86 and Rez like this

#5 j j m

j j m

No2 on the Thl welcoming committee.

• Donator
  • 19,440 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:23 pm

looks good bud

• EDDIE B likes this

#6 The one

The one

Honorary Life President of the THL New Member Welcoming Committe

• Donator
  • 39,085 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:58 pm

That's fine if it's out the road but it must smell while the maggots are cleaning it ?

#7 EDDIE B

EDDIE B

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:05 pm

That's fine if it's out the road but it must smell while the maggots are cleaning it ?

If it were a big animal, yea it would stink the place out, but small skull hung from old unused stable, nearly forgot it was there. Lol

#8 Welsh_red

Welsh_red

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:50 pm

I dont know if ive taken enough of the flesh off to start with but this is what i have left out to hopefully rot .

IMAG0301_zps7ol4s4qb.jpg

Just going to hope it works out . Nothing seems to have happened yet . Hopefully some burtsing sun will help in the fututee

• EDDIE B likes this

#9 The one

The one

Honorary Life President of the THL New Member Welcoming Committe

• Donator
  • 39,085 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:20 pm

I think I would of boiled it and removed even more meat even with a crotchet hook for the brain and nasal,passages your near enough there now mate
  • foxdropper likes this

#10 EDDIE B

EDDIE B

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:06 pm

I dont know if ive taken enough of the flesh off to start with but this is what i have left out to hopefully rot .

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af25...

Just going to hope it works out . Nothing seems to have happened yet . Hopefully some burtsing sun will help in the fututee

It'll work out if your not in any hurry for it lad. Just keep it out of reach of dogs and cats that could bring it off. Boiling etc might be quicker, but these little skulls are quite delicate.

#11 Welsh_red

Welsh_red

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:22 pm

It'll work out if your not in any hurry for it lad. Just keep it out of reach of dogs and cats that could bring it off. Boiling etc might be quicker, but these little skulls are quite delicate.

ive got the mesh lashed to a breeze block in my pile of rubble so hopefully i cant see it being taken away . I have a plan to get my friends camping stove and take it up my dads in the countryside to simmer for a few hours . Like you said im a bit worried about it all falling apart . I seriously considered getting some of those carrion bettles to clean it  but they seemed a lot of effort for one mink skull . Im not even sure where i would look for bettle fanciers to ask to use their beetles for a bit . Maybe down the line i will try and get a colony for them but for the time being im just going to try let nature clean it for me 

Did you have to glue any of the teeth back in ?

#12 EDDIE B

EDDIE B

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:15 am

ive got the mesh lashed to a breeze block in my pile of rubble so hopefully i cant see it being taken away . I have a plan to get my friends camping stove and take it up my dads in the countryside to simmer for a few hours . Like you said im a bit worried about it all falling apart . I seriously considered getting some of those carrion bettles to clean it  but they seemed a lot of effort for one mink skull . Im not even sure where i would look for bettle fanciers to ask to use their beetles for a bit . Maybe down the line i will try and get a colony for them but for the time being im just going to try let nature clean it for me 

Did you have to glue any of the teeth back in ?

Yep glued in all the canines, and few small ones at the front.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users