Theoben Fenman Low Power?

Hi all,

im after abit of advice from any gas ram gurus out there!

Iv just got myself a Fenman but on using a chronograph on it because I felt it was low powered,I was right to worry as it was only pushing out 3lb/ft!

Do you think it needs seals replacing or could the ram just need recharging?

Many thanks in advance

Nick

Hi all,

im after abit of advice from any gas ram gurus out there!

Iv just got myself a Fenman but on using a chronograph on it because I felt it was low powered,I was right to worry as it was only pushing out 3lb/ft!

Do you think it needs seals replacing or could the ram just need recharging?

Many thanks in advance

Nick

Probably just the ram needs more air in but worst case scenario means new seals as well!

• Like 1

No mate, not many have the special hose adaptor to recharge the system, I had one years ago but thats been gone long ago, If you get one and are using a dive bottle to charge the ram be very carefull as it is easy to blow the seals, If you overcharge it even by a small amount you wont be able to cock it, Best to have a look on utube theres probally someone on there showing how they did it. :hmm:

Edited by Tron
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input lads and yeah I have heard the piston heads burn out so I guess thats another thing it can be.

I know the person I got it off and I know he hasnt had it serviced in the time hes had it and never had a chronograph so guess it could have been poorly for awhile!

I think im just going to send it off to someone who knows there stuff.

Does anyone know anywhere other than impact who knows theobens well?

Impact charge £125 just for a service will is a tad expensive I though.

Best fittings do a recharge adaptor!

http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=634

Personally I would recharge the ram and see if it holds power. If it does do not bother stripping down, can be more problems than it is worth!

Yeah to be fair mate I think your right,

start with the simple fix then the seal change if it doesnt hold power.

Best Fittings also supply the pumps, but any high pressure air rifle pump will do. Filling from a divers cylinder is a bit trickier! You have to open and close it so quickly you need about 14 bar if I recall correctly...

Yeah iv got a friend with a pcp stirrup pump so that saves me abit of cash and I can imagine using a dive bottle would be very sketchy with a high possibility of blowing seals!

Best Fittings also supply the pumps, but any high pressure air rifle pump will do. Filling from a divers cylinder is a bit trickier! You have to open and close it so quickly you need about 14 bar if I recall correctly...

Yeah iv got a friend with a pcp stirrup pump so that saves me abit of cash and I can imagine using a dive bottle would be very sketchy with a high possibility of blowing seals!

No, it just means you cannot cock the rifle! Spend ages at the Shrader Valve letting the air out bit by bit until you can cock it, get recoil like a shot gun, then find out it is over 17ft lb on the chrono, let more air out find it is best at about 10.8 ft lbs....

• Like 1