Federal Game Shok Or Remmington Yellow Jacket??

Tried Yellow Jacket ages ago, look nice, big hollow point and a tapered cone shaped bullet, makes an impressive 'ker-rack' when you

turn them loose.

However in my rifles they grouped shot like a shotgun?

Those being a CZ452 bolt gin & an Anschutz 525 semi-auto.

Anyway I chrono'd them and they were pretty consistent so not that, so don't know?

Anyway the CCI Velocitor your after are the best by a mile, in my opinion wait and try and find some, I got a 500 brick at the CLA about 5 years ago

and still have a good few left, as I mostly use Win or RWS sub's.

AF

Thanks gents. I was starting to think I had found some bizarre rounds no one had heard or used before. I've heard and read very little which is positive about the rems. But I have read a couple of reviews in publications stating that the game shok 38s are a decent round. I still want some velocitors. However, I think I may take a punt on the game shok 38 gr and I'll post my findings. Unless any one else out their can offer anything further. If they're shite at least I can try and warn everyone else. Thanks again.

Never tried the federals, but I've used Yellowjackets before and as far as Remington .22's go they were probably about the best. They weren't as accurate as velocitors for me. The most accurate high velocity .22's I've used were the eleys, but they don't do them any more to my knowledge, don't know why. Rws high velocity should be worth a try if you can source any. I've been trying to get some myself but no luck at the moment. I'd be interested to know how you get on with the federals though if you decide to try them.

• Like 1

I've heard eley used to make HV .22lr and stopped I wonder why? I havent made it to the RFD yet but I will definitely get 50 federal just to try them. I think I may have found one not too far away who stocks velocitors. Now the big debate..... do I clean the barrel out before I shoot.

I've heard eley used to make HV .22lr and stopped I wonder why?

Probably because demand is low.

Most people that shoot .22LR do so because it's low noise and that is lost with HV's. I don't personally know anyone who uses HV's through a .22RF. I know a few who've tried them, but everyone I knew returned to subs as the advantages of Hv were outweighed by the advantages of subs.

Usually most people use .22RF for silence at short range and reach for CF for longer range fox skipping over HV's in the process.

I thought that too.

But demand for .22lr can not be so low. Look at the current market, there are no many different manufacturers making different types of high and hyper velocity .22lr. I completely understand your point about subs. I use eley subs myself and yes they are very good. But for those of us which do not have a centre fire rifle or enough cash to have multiple rifles. It's good to have an option just in case Basil Brush sticks his nose through the hedge.

I suppose as stated on many forums try them, your gun might like them. I was just trying to cut down wasted time with this post.

If someone asked me about air rifle pellets Id say Air Arms, JSB, or RWS. There is so much experience on here and so much ammunition out there.

I suspect, and stand to be corrected here if anyone knows different, that it's the American market that probably supports the manufacture of HV's as they seem to use few if any subs over there.

I have a feeling that I heard that in some states, moderated weapons are banned and in all the others you need hard to get special permits. So in effect, they're almost totally banned to all intents and purposes. Without a mdoerator, the advantage of subs is mostly lost.

Also, the Americans are huge "plinkers" and tend to use semi-auto's / full auto's such as AR clones for that purpose so consume a lot of RF ammo. I came across a video on Youtube not long ago of someone who'd made a homemade minigun that fired .22 RF!!!

I would be very surprised therefore if many subs were sold stateside due to the regs which probably makes HV's the biggest the RF seller, and the US consumes most of the world's supply of RF.

• Like 1

I don't use many hv .22's these days but I like to carry a few, although I don't have any at the moment. The last ones were Winchester lasers which were ok in my anschutz. I'm always up for trying a box of .22's that I haven't tried before, they're not going to break the bank, so if they turn out to be poor I'll just plink them off, or on the other hand, they might be good. Either way, not much to lose in trying different .22 ammo.

Well at the minute Ive been helping the farmer who owns my permission get his hay baled and in the barn. Hoping to do some crow shooting with eley subs over the next few days too. Then I'll sort some federal game shok from my RFD and post a report on here. I'll try and upload some pics too.

Well at the minute Ive been helping the farmer who owns my permission get his hay baled and in the barn. Hoping to do some crow shooting with eley subs over the next few days too. Then I'll sort some federal game shok from my RFD and post a report on here. I'll try and upload some pics too.

Good stuff, thanks for that.

• 4 weeks later...

Would you believe it. I managed to get up to my rfd and he'd sold out of game shok. He had the remmingtons but I thoughy better of it. I bought 50 cci subs and some winchester super x high velocity. Conclusions...... my gun does not like cci subs. No where near as good groups as eley or rws subs. Winchester super x? Sounded good! Again accuracy really poor. Hopefully he'll be getting some game shok back in soon so I will possibly have a go with those. As an inexperienced shooter I can now fully see the argument around the pointlessness of HV. Theyre no good for crows anyway.

Would you believe it. I managed to get up to my rfd and he'd sold out of game shok. He had the remmingtons but I thoughy better of it. I bought 50 cci subs and some winchester super x high velocity. Conclusions...... my gun does not like cci subs. No where near as good groups as eley or rws subs. Winchester super x? Sounded good! Again accuracy really poor. Hopefully he'll be getting some game shok back in soon so I will possibly have a go with those. As an inexperienced shooter I can now fully see the argument around the pointlessness of HV. Theyre no good for crows anyway.

60 yard zero for subs also gives me 100 yard zero for hv's or thereabouts, depending on the brand/ammo, so for me it's worth carrying a few.

60 yard zero for subs also gives me 100 yard zero for hv's or thereabouts, depending on the brand/ammo, so for me it's worth carrying a few.

Cheers for that I may well try out that theory. I need to get hold of something better than the winchesters though,

my brno hates them. I know you cant expect the same level of accuracy with hv. But they were rubbish! Love tge tips its really helping me gain some experience. Just back from holiday so hopefully get some shooting done before I go back to work on thursday.