Rspb Hit For Six

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Glad I missed that club.

Working in the interest of justice and the public interest Moxy.

hows it going derek mate jeff here i didnt know you were on this site mate,that female harris hawk i got off you 2 year ago is still going well took loads with her,for people who dont know derek very

a

You really don't like the RSPB do you :D

Not sure what you mean, I was in the Young Ornithologist Club and the full RSPB.

I was in rolfes cartoon club...!!

Glad I missed that club.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/the-vampire-squid-rspb-attacked-by-other-conservationists-for-misusing-funds-9814685.html

RSPB

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2817171/Botham-hits-RSPB-dictators-SIX-Cricket-legend-savages-charity-spending-donated-millions-TV-ads-56m-pension-deficit-forgetting-birds.html

Botham hits RSPB ‘dictators’ for SIX! Cricket legend savages charity for spending donated millions on TV ads and a £56m pension deficit while ‘forgetting the birds’

• RSPB forced to siphon off £5m from charitable income each year to fill a black hole in pension fund
  • Charity lobbies for measures to tackle global warming, and supports wind turbines – which kill thousands of birds every year
  • Hides fact that to protect birds on its 206 reserves, the charity shoots hundreds of foxes and deer every year

By David Rose for The Mail on Sunday

Published: 22:01, 1 November 2014 | Updated: 18:55, 2 November 2014

395 shares

View comments

Sir Ian Botham has launched a sweeping attack on the leadership of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, saying it is a ‘dictatorship’ that has ‘messed up its finances’ and betrayed bird lovers and the species that it is meant to save.

The England cricket legend’s attack, in an open letter published exclusively in today’s Mail on Sunday, is a key element of You Forgot The Birds, a new campaign by farmers and conservationists who want to force RSPB reform.

Sir Ian points out that the RSPB is one of Britain’s biggest charities, with more than one million members. His accusations include the following:

• The RSPB is forced to siphon off £5 million from charitable income each year to fill a black hole in the pension fund – a deficit that will take 17 years to pay off. ‘The RSPB is a pension fund with a charity attached,’ writes Sir Ian.
  • ‘Misleading marketing’ downplays the vast cost of fundraising and exaggerates the amount the RSPB spends on conservation: ‘Your donations pay for its 405 fundraisers to ask you for more money so they can employ more fundraisers to ask you for still more money,’ claims Sir Ian.
  • The charity lobbies for measures to tackle global warming, and supports wind turbines – which kill thousands of birds every year.
  • It hides the fact that to protect birds on its 206 reserves, the charity shoots hundreds of foxes and deer every year.

Lack of democracy: at last weekend’s annual general meeting there were only three candidates for three vacant posts on the RSPB council.

‘I have a dream that the RSPB will one day represent all who care about bird life,’ says Sir Ian.

The RSPB has been misleading donors and competing unfairly with other charities

He adds that next year he will be ‘offering competition by putting together a list of reform-minded candidates’.

Sir Ian’s campaign has already scored one notable success. Following a complaint to the Charity Commission, the RSPB has been ordered to stop claiming that 90 per cent of its £128 million income ‘goes directly to conservation work’.

The commission says it must make clear that the 90 per cent claim did not take account of the cost of fundraising, on which the RSPB spends £21 million a year.

A commission spokeswoman said it could not rule on other complaints from Sir Ian and his colleagues, including that money earmarked for ‘conservation’ had in fact been spent on lobbying the Government over issues such as climate change. It was for the RSPB to decide how best to allocate its funds, she added.

Last night, RSPB chief spokesman Grahame Madge mounted a passionate defence of the organisation, claiming Sir Ian and his campaign had a ‘hidden agenda’ representing ‘shooting interests’.

Some rare species were vanishing, he said, because they were being ‘persecuted by the shooting community’ – such as some of Sir Ian’s campaign backers.

Mr Madge said the way the organisation reported its income and expenditure was ‘standard’ among similar charities. He admitted there was a large pensions deficit but said this was ‘common’ among charities.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2817171/Botham-hits-RSPB-dictators-SIX-Cricket-legend-savages-charity-spending-donated-millions-TV-ads-56m-pension-deficit-forgetting-birds.html#ixzz3I0RH8JPh
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter
| DailyMail on Facebook

hows it going derek mate jeff here i didnt know you were on this site mate,that female harris hawk i got off you 2 year ago is still going well took loads with her,for people who dont know derek very well he sells some cracking birds ive had 4 off him and all have done well

• Like 1