Drop Net Any Info

I looked at a spot last night,which had plenty of rabbits on, all running to a bypass,the problem is there's a lot of buzzards about and the rabbits are jumpy, some I can take with the rimfire but the rest have no safe backstop,years ago I saw a drop net,basically a long net on poles that's pre-placed and fastened up so the rabbits went out under it, into the field, then dropped via a system of pin triggered poles,at the time I thought no, destined to be nowt but a bloody head ache and so I never used one, the old man used to talk about tying the bottom line up to the top with a slip not,and using a lead foot line,I never saw him do this,although I have done this on short nets,20 yds no more, and could not see it being effective on the 100 yd nets,due to the length of pull needed,the problem is the rabbits are not going far enough away from the hedge to get in and drop a net,the bypass is too over grown to get in and net the sets to back net them,so I ask the question has any body used or got a drop net design,they would share as I am considering making one,it seems the best option,for this particular spot, I did once see a design on a website too which to me looked like major works, and I don't want to get into that something quick and relatively simple,any direction on this would be a great help,

• Like 1

i made one thats there or there abouts just needed a little tweeking but i have no mesurments for anything now and mixi came around so the spot i wanted it for had nothing left to catch. the tweeking never got done although it was something and nothing,

leeview is you man he has one if not more. when i was making mine he explained what i needed to do goving some good advice.

• Like 1

Cheers lads I sat today and decided its time I had a go and made one myself,I did once see one,and if my memory serves me right I am sure I can do better,I don't know what it will work like yet but sod it in for a penny in for a pound,it seems there's very few people who has used one properly,or regularly I have some good ideas and I will see where we get,

Good on you for giving it a go mate but here it all comes to cost and i couldn't leave something like that out it would be stolen in no time , so i just have to go and have a look at the problem and see if i can figure out a solution to work it .

Hi Darren,

I haven't to date used one or constructed one but I have gone so far as the design / planning stage and for me the con's outweighed the pro's in the end so that's as far as it went really.

But like the one has just said, fair play for having a crack at it and I wish you the best of luck mate :thumbs: . Mr Goodcat.

Good on you for giving it a go mate but here it all comes to cost and i couldn't leave something like that out it would be stolen in no time , so i just have to go and have a look at the problem and see if i can figure out a solution to work it .

cheers I will have a go and I recon I could make it reasonably priced I have gone over it for two days now, and I recon it would work for me, I know not every one could use one, I grew up in a place where I couldn't leave anything out in a field either,but I am not so bad where I live now,the problem I have is working out how high, to hold the drop net up so the rabbits are happy to travel underneath it, and out onto the field to be honest I think it won't be a problem, but the only one I ever saw set up,the bottom line of the net must have been maybe 2-3 foot off the floor, while it was lifted, I recon it won't need to be anywhere near that height,we will see,

The only problem with hoisting the net that high is catching birds. As has been said, there are a lot of negative elements with a drop net and it made me think years ago, 'was it worth the hassle?' To me it was not, but to anyone who wishes to have a go, the best of luck.

I don't know if I can find it but there was an article about a lift net that was set on pre tensioned poles, once they were activated they sprung up carrying the net with them. If I remember correctly Heritage off of here had some information about them.

TC

hi I made my own drop net out of garden canes it works well enough but could do with tweeking a bit ie a mark 2 the net is held at about 2 foot of the ground. good luck with your one let us know how you got on.

hi I made my own drop net out of garden canes it works well enough but could do with tweeking a bit ie a mark 2 the net is held at about 2 foot of the ground. good luck with your one let us know how you got on.

cheers mate I will when I get a start on it,

Your standard net 14 meshes deep+selvedge @41/2" will give you just over 6' of sheet net, your top and bottom line say 24"(I do mine at 18") apart leaves you 4' of net below the bottom line giving 2' of clearance for the rabbits to pass under, Good Luck

Y.I.S Leeview

Your standard net 14 meshes deep+selvedge @41/2" will give you just over 6' of sheet net, your top and bottom line say 24"(I do mine at 18") apart leaves you 4' of net below the bottom line giving 2' of clearance for the rabbits to pass under, Good LuckY.I.S Leeview

what I might try and do, is set it up and up the trail camera to one side, to see how the height of the bottom line affects the rabbits passing under I ordered the spun poly this morning, but in the mean time I am considering taking one if my old nets and removing the hazel stakes just to do the experimenting,

Some time ago I set about making a set of both lift nets & drop nets....,

I engineered every single component and the process took me months to complete and the cost was, shall we say,.....quite substantial .

Looking back it was all worthwhile doing if only for the experience but I definatly wouldn't do it again.

every single part of the system has to be well made in order to consistently perform but the amount of use they get just dosen't warrant the amount of effort or cost involved.

There are a few things I learned during the setting operation that may be of use.....

You want to loft the net as high as possible, this longer drop aids the process and can sometimes help to get the rabbits moving. Rabbits will also be less wary of a net lofted in the higher position.

The best type of net to use is without doubt a trammel fixed by means of bobbins on the sliders.

Add outriggers & additional supports.

Try to keep the run as straight as possible

Loft a scrap / dummy net for several days prior.

Raise your pull cord ....

There are also things such as trimming overhanging obstructions to consider.....

And you have to be aware of the risk they pose to birds......

Hope you enjoy making , using and catching with your net..

Atb.

• Like 1