New Traps Officially 'Approved'

Guest Ditch_Shitter

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What it says, mate. Glis Glis, as they're otherwise known. Dear little creatures. Somewhere between a Bush Baby and a 'nice' squirrel. But ye still wouldn't want them playing havoc with ye wireing.

In some pockets of the country they've become so entrenched that they're now causing quite as much bother as any other comensal pest.

Check them out of Google. Lovely looking creatures.

I thought they were really rare?

Probably getting confused with something :doh:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I think " Localised " would be a more accurate term, mate ;) As in, plenty of the buggers where they do exist, yet none at all where they don't.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not up on where they can be found now. But I Think they're a bit of a creature of the upper 'Shires? Sort of east of centrally bias? Not sure. But mates of mine have to remove them regularly enough. Come to that, I'm not even that clear on what they do to make pests of themselves. But I guess they gnaw and that's why I mentioned wireing. I also have some lovely photo's I was sent, of a couple curling up in someones airing cupboard. Maybe their undeniable cuteness wears a bit fin after they've blown up ye immersion heater and chewed up and soiled ye bedding and best shirts?

Perhaps someone here could further enlighten us?

To be perfectly honest, I'm not up on where they can be found now. But I Think they're a bit of a creature of the upper 'Shires? Sort of east of centrally bias? Not sure.

I know a ranger in the forests of Buckinghamshire who has a fair few of them to deal with at certain times of the year - he uses Monarch type rat cages to good effect. They require a DEFRA license for removal too as I remember

OTC

Getting back on track again ~

Does anyone know a UK distributor of the DOC series of traps?

I would like to add one of each type to my collection and maybe try a few out in the tunnels. The only references I can find on the 'Net are from NZ which seems odd as I am sure that there is money to be made there somewhere importing them in.

I have contacted Solway Feeders about their 'new' Mk 4 and 6 traps and they appear to be nothing more than a 'Far Eastern' made copy of the Fenn pattern but with stronger springs as Ditch and I suspected.

OTC

Guest Ditch_Shitter

So, why not just ship a set in from Kiwi, mate? Get them sent over on the tramp steamer and forget about them till they arrive.

Won't get them any faster by waiting for them to materialise in 'the shops'.

So, why not just ship a set in from Kiwi, mate? Get them sent over on the tramp steamer and forget about them till they arrive.

Won't get them any faster by waiting for them to materialise in 'the shops'.

I might have to mate, if there isn't anyone selling them over here at the moment.

It just seems a bit odd for them to have been given the go-ahead by the Ministry but no-one with a business plan to get them bulk shipped in to cover the inevitable demand for the 'new' traps. Someone is missing out on a decent pay packet - I would do it myself but I don't have the spare time to manage the mini enterprise unfortunately.

OTC

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:blink: If ye That flush, how about squaring me up, ye cheeky f*kka! :tongue2:

It's like the Aldrich all over again, mate ~ heh! Not to mention the Fenn Mk I Vermin! :icon_eek: Only Aldrich's allowed had to, by law, be bought from a man who'd long since sold his bloody business! F*ckin ridiculous!

Makes me laugh, really; They bang on so much about who ye have to buy the shit from and what it says on the pan; Yet they never once question wether the herbert getting his hands on the McCoy has the feintest clue about what to DO with it!

Typical f*cking beurochracy! :no:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in what the criteria and type of testing is for legal traps in the UK.

I have a couple of Little Nipper mouse traps that unfortunately didn't always kill outright 100%. I bought a few more to see if I had a bad batch but they were the same.

How come these are still legal?

/Mad

Guest little_lloyd
I'm interested in what the criteria and type of testing is for legal traps in the UK.

I have a couple of Little Nipper mouse traps that unfortunately didn't always kill outright 100%. I bought a few more to see if I had a bad batch but they were the same.

/Mad

Im using little nipper's on a mouse problem eating the corn in the shed. Ive had eight so far and about two of them where stone dead but a few inches away from the sprung trap,,,....Poor Buggers :cry:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:unsure: I Really can't imagine what you guys are doing Wrong with ye traps there. I've killed innumerable mice with 'Little Nippers' and can honestly say I've probably had a 99+% stone cold dead, skull cleaved in two, success rate with them.

I bought a load of Kness Snap E traps - the black plastic ones with the yellow killing bar - and had some right shitters amongst that lot. F*cking nightmares! :no:

All I can suggest it that ye treat the traps like any other; Inspect them minutely. Tweak and tidy them as may be deemed necessary (I always pay particular attention to under the treadle and the length and cut of the dog / rettaining bar). Then set them as if ye mean to kill a three gram animal.

Take ye time and make a proper job of it.

Mine Seemed To Work Okay

:unsure:

post-3041-1192581756.jpg

/Mad

Mad,

I always thought that traps for rats, mice and moles did not have to be specifically approved for use as they are domestic vermin which might account for the influx of cheaply made Chinky traps available which are poorly engineered to say the least.

I set a trio of SelfSet mouse traps in my loft last night and have got a full house this morning - I like them, they rarely need adjusting and rarely, if ever, have any non lethal strikes.

OTC

/Mad

I don't think that any trap is guaranteed to kill outright 100%, there are too many variables, the chief among them being the person setting, the placing of the bait and the placing of the trap itself. The only trap that I have had a 100% kill rate is the Kania, but thats a bit of overkill for mice.

:unsure: I Really can't imagine what you guys are doing Wrong with ye traps there. I've killed innumerable mice with 'Little Nippers' and can honestly say I've probably had a 99+% stone cold dead, skull cleaved in two, success rate with them.

But you yourself said a while back that they weren't designed for the beefier wood mouse:

Having had considerable experiance with the Little Nipper, I find it has a working life of between three and six months. That's planty for an amateur having a pop at his own House Mice. And, at the price of them, it suits a pro' who's bang at it with them day and night too. But, as I've said earlier, they just weren't designed to take on the beefier wood mouse.

I think I'll take this up with someone. A recent article in an industry magazine suggests that woodie's are becoming quite the 'Pest Neveaux'. Looks like we could use something up to the job? Though, as also stated, the Kness trap seems to work. Ironically, the most lethally powerful trap I ever field trialed against the little buggers was an absolute scorcher! Slammed down so f*ckin hard it nearly seperated them! Trouble is, it was an absolute bitch from hell to set in the first place.

So, is it fair to question how we are setting them when you yourself said they are not up to the job of killing the bigger Wood Mouse!

And in answer to your other point about tweaking them, I have already trimmed the dog bar back as it was far too long when I bought them and them set so light they often go off when I place them. Also take my time and double check everything. A badly set trap is a waste of time.

regards,

/Mad