Parent Reared Or Imprint...

Gaz_1989

get an imprint they double as an alarm clock an intruder alert and also could be used as a guard dog as they can become very nasty :laugh: .why people would want to inprint is beoned me :blink: ....yes you can fly them at a higher weight but if that is why you want an inprint(not aimed at you there gaz ) to fly it at a higher weight just get a female red or a female Finnish gos as they will have enough weight to talk quarry.and neighbors wont be to happy when they start screaming at you everytime your in the garden.....and that's not to mention the fact that the hawk trys to breed with you :laugh: ................ive got a enough with my crazy bird as it is one with tits never mind a crazy one with talons :laugh:

Not all imprints are like that though, imprinted right there great birds and the noise soon settles when the kills start coming in, i think the main reason for an imprint is there less highly strung so good for spars and goshawks, dont see the need for imprint harris hawks though there good enough parent reared but some people just have preferences

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so I have searched and I know what the difference is... I think...   Parent reared is hatched with its parents and stays with them (no human contact) untill 20-22 weeks when a human has to basica

The Harris is a more sociable bird mate than the reds are, its in the fact that they hunt in groups and also live in groups for protection etc they even have a set hierarchy within the group, unlike m

Yeh mate FHH she flys at 2.3 2.4 but don't take any notice of that as mate as different birds have different flying weights! Same as hunting weight etc! Lorne

get an imprint they double as an alarm clock an intruder alert and also could be used as a guard dog as they can become very nasty :laugh: .why people would want to inprint is beoned me :blink: ....yes you can fly them at a higher weight but if that is why you want an inprint(not aimed at you there gaz ) to fly it at a higher weight just get a female red or a female Finnish gos as they will have enough weight to talk quarry.and neighbors wont be to happy when they start screaming at you everytime your in the garden.....and that's not to mention the fact that the hawk trys to breed with you :laugh: ................ive got a enough with my crazy bird as it is one with tits never mind a crazy one with talons :laugh:

its nothing to do with the weight verses ability, its weight verses train- ability. take musket where 1/8th of an ounce is the difference between death and living. having an imprint gives you a better weight safety margin.

Why carnt you like mods posts, i asked on an earlier topic got a like from malt but no answer

• Like 1

its nothing to do with the weight verses ability, its weight verses train- ability. take musket where 1/8th of an ounce is the difference between death and living. having an imprint gives you a better weight safety margin.

understand what ur saying there mate.my point was from a weight for handling quarry point ov view and knowing gaz he will be going for a female Harris or a female red in which case a female Harris is prity forgiving when it comes to weight management and can handle rabbits hare squirrel phesant (when mugging them :whistling::angel: ) and a female red tail can take all the quarry mentioned as well so from a weight versus quarry point of view there is no point in him having a inprint......plus a female red will teach him about weight management very very quickly. the thought of an inprint red tail scares the life out of me :yes:

understand what ur saying there mate.my point was from a weight for handling quarry point ov view and knowing gaz he will be going for a female Harris or a female red in which case a female Harris is prity forgiving when it comes to weight management and can handle rabbits hare squirrel phesant (when mugging them :whistling::angel: ) and a female red tail can take all the quarry mentioned as well so from a weight versus quarry point of view there is no point in him having a inprint......plus a female red will teach him about weight management very very quickly. the thought of an inprint red tail scares the life out of me :yes:

and il apologies if any of the words are spellt wrong or in text talk as i have been enjoying the sun and had a few :drink:

• Like 1

I think a bird like a musket needs to be an imprint. I love imprints!

• Like 1

I think a bird like a musket needs to be an imprint. I love imprints!

What imprint method is it you follow?

Cheers for the interesting replies folks. I've got a much clearer picture now :thumbs:

Cheers for the interesting replies folks. I've got a much clearer picture now :thumbs:

mines fueled by beer so donrt tacke notice of mine gaz lol

Haha no change their chief. Lol.

It made sense to me!

Ok more questions...

I've just been reading on the pros and cons of Harris vs Red Tailed for first bird.

One of the cons of a Harris was that it MAY imprint to you which the red tailed is less likely to do.

What does this mean? Don't spend too much time with it?

Ok more questions...

I've just been reading on the pros and cons of Harris vs Red Tailed for first bird.

One of the cons of a Harris was that it MAY imprint to you which the red tailed is less likely to do.

What does this mean? Don't spend too much time with it?

Shite mate a parent reared bird wont do that, just make sure the bird has been with the parents an absolute minimum of 16 weeks and you will be fine,

If you want to fly a bird of the fist, have a bigger bird for hares and squirrels and like a better looking bird go for a red

If you want the bird to follow on and fly in a cast with h other harrises then get a harris

depends on what kind of imprinting.harris hawks are renown for food imprinting but think that thats because that its in there breeding as in the wild they call and are very vocal as they are a pack animal.a mate told me he trained two harris hawks exactly the same way and one became food imprinted and the other not...