Goshawks

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been happy enough with my Harris for the last few weeks, in the future maybe I will move onto a goshawk or something else.BUT I hope I never become one of those falconers that has owned a Harris

No mate I ain't to be fair , had em as a kid sparrowhawks, kestrels always hacked back to wild or shamefully died,like many lads my age and older will of done (Barry Hines/Ken Loach got a lot too ans

What quarry are you after and how many days a week can you fly? They need answering first. As a rule, goshawks are NOT a first bird. Reading books wont prepare you for a gos no matter what anyone sa

Posted Images

Don't forget the main factor when flying a fit Gos..you need to be fit.. :yes: . because once they get on the tail of something they don't give in till they have caught it or screwed it into cover..not like these harrises that glide along on the wind.. :D ..and if your gos is fit and it spot's another game bird it will be off again..hence you need to get to the first miss or kill asap...it alway's make's me laugh when i see a fat man with a gos.. :laugh: :laugh:

what are the problems a first timer will encounter with a gos in comparison to a harris?

have you ever been out with one ? seen one fly ?

no unfortunately not, just harris and spar

the guys in the club who dont fly gos's say the same, its all telementry and you dont get to see the majority of the flight. However regardless of the bird i choose to fly gamebirds are few and far between where i am, rooks/magpies and rabbits will make up the majority of my quarry

ive seen a fit mhh and there was no gliding involved, opened my eyes to what they could do but there seems to be an allure with the gos

am really lookimng forward to taking one on, am pretty confdent all be ok with one and look forward to the high level of prey drive and tenacity, plus am very confident with the ol telemtry lol

From experience telemetry is a must with gos's as they will go out of sight many time's in persuit..most of the time it is miles away..not 50yrd's like a harris.. :D

• Like 1

Ive tramped some miles after me gyr saker when I turned him loose on phessies, picked exactly the wrong land to do it on :icon_redface: , thank god for the hours I spent learning to use the telemetry properly, used to send me lad off with it and have him keep moving etc and finally him leaving the tag hidden so I could get in close without the advatage of seeing him before finding it lol

Im planning to use the falcon on hare again coming season but will start him later this season maybe late october, see if he progresses, thankfully after the moult I will have more feather to imp any damgae as that hindered him this year , they dont half put up a fight lol, he nmeded up looking like he been in a war zone, hard bird though and he learned the hard way, I was suprised a few times he wnet back too em, still think I can fly him heavier than I did , but time will tell on that :thumbs: the young male gos I plan to fly from the off, corvids and rabbits being the main targets :victory: to be fair the reputation they have is half the lure :D

I really enjoyed my harris and still enjoy days out with my pals, I know they not every falconers dream, however, everytime I see one they always impress they are so adaptable, real jack of all trades, maybe master of none but always please, and the odd times amaze, Id never class one lower then any other kind of BOP, they summat else they really are :yes:

• Like 3

Ive tramped some miles after me gyr saker when I turned him loose on phessies, picked exactly the wrong land to do it on :icon_redface: , thank god for the hours I spent learning to use the telemetry properly, used to send me lad off with it and have him keep moving etc and finally him leaving the tag hidden so I could get in close without the advatage of seeing him before finding it lol

Im planning to use the falcon on hare again coming season but will start him later this season maybe late october, see if he progresses, thankfully after the moult I will have more feather to imp any damgae as that hindered him this year , they dont half put up a fight lol, he nmeded up looking like he been in a war zone, hard bird though and he learned the hard way, I was suprised a few times he wnet back too em, still think I can fly him heavier than I did , but time will tell on that :thumbs: the young male gos I plan to fly from the off, corvids and rabbits being the main targets :victory: to be fair the reputation they have is half the lure :D

I really enjoyed my harris and still enjoy days out with my pals, I know they not every falconers dream, however, everytime I see one they always impress they are so adaptable, real jack of all trades, maybe master of none but always please, and the odd times amaze, Id never class one lower then any other kind of BOP, they summat else they really are :yes:

a harris when fit is a bird thats hard to be beaten for most falconers thats a fact because of all the advantages this species has to offer off, ease of training, inteligence, low level needs basically. all of which dont exist with a gos :laugh: however they get in your blood and if you commit the time and effort needed to get one about right, then the rewards are great, you chest will grow overnight :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

methinks too many go the imprint route with gos and mess it up lol always loads of imprints for sale, personaly id go for parent reared, deffo gonna try a male this season coming, see just how hard they are or are not as the case maybe

i can see the logic of imprinting and have seen a very good male imprint fly very well indeed. however i made such a mess of my first 2 sparrowhawks through imprinting (aggresive screamers) it put me off imprints for life, mind very little was known of imprinting back then :laugh: :laugh:

a goss has been passed around by mine for being a screamer noisy bstard :laugh:

methinks too many go the imprint route with gos and mess it up lol always loads of imprints for sale, personaly id go for parent reared, deffo gonna try a male this season coming, see just how hard they are or are not as the case maybe

i can see the logic of imprinting and have seen a very good male imprint fly very well indeed. however i made such a mess of my first 2 sparrowhawks through imprinting (aggresive screamers) it put me off imprints for life, mind very little was known of imprinting back then :laugh: :laugh:

a goss has been passed around by mine for being a screamer noisy bstard :laugh:

there horrible mate. i once even made a soundproof box for a female spar and the fooker still drove me nutts, but as soon as she was out in the field, silent. i even managed to breed off her :laugh:

My PR male has never made a sound..the only time he does is during the breeding season when he call's for a female..if you have a PR bird that scream's you have fooked it up somewhere down the line.. :yes: ..

• Like 1

My PR male has never made a sound..the only time he does is during the breeding season when he call's for a female..if you have a PR bird that scream's you have fooked it up somewhere down the line.. :yes: ..

found the nest to early :whistling: