Anyones Canaries Started Yet?

I've chucked some of mine out in the aviary to try and stop them but their still flying round with material trying to build. Got a hen in the shed getting fed and tread by the siskin too. It won't be long now till their all raring to go ;)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers Fireman.....this first year will just be a watch and learn time for me so advice is much appreciated

Had some Irish hatch today, couple more on eggs and 2 hens laying to my linnet cock. My greenies in the aviary have layed their first egg too.

I know im being a bit of a melt showing pictures but im well chuffed with the little dudes As you can probably see they are in one of those silly little indoor aviary things ....would that be anythi

I've put out a few pans and nesting stuff for a few of my native pairs as i had redpoll chicks in the nest this time last year outside but apart from a few pecks at it nothing nest building worthy and to be honest the cocks haven't really started to sing properly either so not expecting anything for a little while yet.

My little bird with the Beatles haircut is sitting on a couple of eggs.....how does this work then will they raise chicks in an aviary with other birds in or would i need to move them elsewhere ?......none of the males in there seem to give a shit how am i supposed to know who the dad possibly is.......please dont say Jeremy Kyle :D

• Like 1

There'll rear the chicks just fine with other birds about Gnasher and you might even find the father to the chicks helping out with the feeding once they hatch,the only thing i would do is put some branches in that reach up from the floor for when the chicks fledge and they need to be able to climb up off the floor.

She's sat tight on 4 today, she might lay another tomorrow but last year she mainly layed 4s. I'll candle them in a week or so to check if their fertile, there's a good chance they aren't but I'm not too fussed. I'd rather the other finches started treading hens tbh.

I've put up box with a camera in it so i can watch the nest and hopefully the parents feeding the chicks type thing and a irish canary hen is trying to build behind it instead of inside it :laugh: ,well hopefully she'll get bored of me pulling it down and use the box but it's early days and plenty of season for something to use it anyway.

Gnasher,how long has she been sat on them as like gnipper says after a week if you put a bright light behind them and "candle"them you can see if it's got a dark shaddow there's a chick growing in there but if it's clear the egg is useless and unfertalized,a mini torch will do the job just fine by the way.. :thumbs:

it's still early yet guys....no rush.....

Very true and it isn't uncommon for the first round of eggs to be clear either and on that note Gnasher don't be put off if yours are and i'll have a bet the next nest she builds she'll lay more than two in as well as fertility rises as we go into spring and summer.

• Like 1

I used to always try and not rush things.....Ma Nature knows best. It was uncommon to get eggs before April but I still managed three rounds with little trouble and those chicks were just what I wanted. Fit, Healthy buggers!

Mindst you, they got plenty of wild food too, dandelion being a big fave of theirs.....

I know you can rush canaries through, but some if the other types of Britsh you aint just going to be able to rush. I soon learnt to go at their pace.....especially the softbills,..

Good luck to all this breeding season....i really miss having an old cock canary hanging about the place..

• Like 2

This time last year i had redpoll chicks in a outside flight and all the chicks were reared but this year i've only seen one redpoll feeding another one and that was a paired off cock(to two hens in there own flight) feeding a spare hen i have in my mule flight next door :censored: ,so she'll have to find a new home as i want him with the ones i've put him with and not smooching with the tart next door :laugh: ,So every year can be and is different and it is all up to old "Ma Nature" JD like you say and there ain't nothing like some wild food to get then right into condition as it's got to also be a natural trigger to show them it's time to do there thing surely?. :hmm: