Beginner's Guide?

Tunstall

Hey Guys,

I'm interested in Falconry but not really sure where to start. I was wondering if you could give me a few tips on what I would need to start and how to properly care for the bird. Also could this be used alongside ferreting with a well trained bird or would there still be a risk of my ferret getting harmed when it finally comes back out of the warrens?

Tunstall

Hi find a falconer local if possible lurn the ropes and then decide if it is for you. Get lots of books and read up on. Travel to see birds working if you can find someone to take you out! When trained the birds work great with ferrets. If you do get a bird make sure it sees the ferrets daily and knows they are not to be flown !! Please take time to lurn as to many are getting birds only to pass them on when it's not for them. ATB and welcome.

Lee

can only echo the above, theres a mine of information to be had and its worth taking the time to work your way through as much as possible, strive to find a mentor and failing that get out and join a club, book a quality course and get ssome hands on that way at worst,

Books Id recomend are Falconry and Hawking by P Glasier, Understanding the Birds of Prey, by Nick Fox they by far the ones I go too time and time again and a lot would agree, ity really pays to do the ground work and get things in place and right forst time, the birds with you for many years after it comes to you.................................bets of luck the truly determined always find a way

Thanks for the advice guys.

@Lee C, It's good to hear that I can go ferreting with a bird and don't worry I wouldn't get a bird without seriously thinking about it first.

just make sure the hawk is ok with a ferret beforehand,