out decoying and need help

So as I write this I'm sat in a field of young rape. Hide up, decoys out in the usual shape considering wind direction and I haven't seen a pigeon all morning :(

I have set up where the farmer wants me but havnt seen a sausage.

There is a bird scatter machine further up the field which I have turned off. I'm pretty much shooting a field I've never done before so don't know the flight lines. I am on the edge of a wood with the sun in front of me so I'm nice and concealed.

The ground is rock hard with frost mind, could this be the reason why there is no pigeon feeding?

Personally i tend to go for afternoon shooting, be set-up & in place for 1:30 ish - judging that the birds would have had a morning feed and then be sat about in trees/on lines with full crops. This allows some time to watch the field, then decide where to situate the hide etc, Watch for flight lines.

I have also gone to fields & clapped off 100 or so birds, then sat and watched to see if others start to come back, if after 20 or so mins there isnt any sign, i move on to the next. Not sure if this is the right thing to do but thats how i do it. Some fields just seem to draw pigeons, some dont.

• Like 1

Firstly why you set up where the farmer wants you ,you watch the flight lines and set up from there

likelyhood is that the farmer has asked him to set up where the damage is being caused :fool: - and the pigeons are going to feed where they want to no matter how good your pattern is

• Like 1

BEEN on rape today saw about hundred birds feeding walked them off set up thought they would come back nothing 3 very fast incomers zoomed out again buzzards and sparrow hawks flying about pigeons very jumpy . called it a do went home , i think they need to get desperate to feed more cold weather needed food supplies need to dry up

there still feeding on spring barley that couldnt be combined here but theres very little in the way of natural food this year so late winter will be a bad time for them :thumbs: