Which older rifles would you tune, if any?

Iam thinking many of us have Brum made BSA's / Webleys from the 70's 80's. Would any be suitable for modern day tuning and if so which models would

be your choice to spend a few quid on, it may be an alternative to spending two / three hundred pounds on a hunting rifle. If Iam dreaming no doubt you will

inform me.

Cheer's boys,

Phil.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you older guys think we should set up a O.A.P section so you can reminisce lol

hw 80k

It was actually the other way around Pianoman the 127 was .22 and the 124 was .177, both awesome rifles. My third ever rifle was a FWB 127 Sport which I bought at the end of 1978 for £60 an enormous a

Posted Images

I always wanted to tune up a BSA Airsporter Studzen, I'd be interested to see your results if you do have a go at one of these. I did a tune up on a BSA Meteor, but there wasn't an outstanding improvement, although it was a bit sweeter and more consistent to shoot. Tuning wise like the other guy said I'd go German i.e. 77 or 80 every time. Dave Pope Venomised a Meteor and made an outstanding job of it. But home tuning wise Weihrauchs are far more user friendly and easier to get decent results from in my humble opinion.

WEBLEY PATRIOT. FAC .22

I had one of these as my first FAC air rifle after I got my ticket in 1976. It produced near 30ft/lbs and was blisteringly accurate on Eley Wasps. It would have been superb with a proper tune with todays component standards.

WEBLEY OSPREY .22

This was a decent enough air rifle but it got twangy and loose-feeling after time. A custom tuner today would tighten it up and give it the better spring, guide and piston kit it needed.

WEBLEY VULCAN.

A great all-purpose sporting air rifle. Tuning would have made a fantastic job of this one

BSA GOLDSTAR.

This was a rifle crying out for custom tuning. In any calibre this was a superbly accurate underlever and could easily have been a serious contemporary of the Weihrauch HW77. It should have been a winner but, thanks to typically British business thinking, the BSA management failed to fully realise what a seriously good rifle for further developement and tuning they had on their hands. It became a lost opportunity and the company today is a Gamo-owned concern that has lost it's once renowned British made excellence.

Just my two-pennorth! ;)

Pianoman

When i was a lad my first air rifle was the BSA Meteor then the Mercury followed by The Airsporter underlever,then a mate and myself went to buy the Stutzen but when we arrived in the gun shop i noticed they had just got the new Feinwerkbau mk1 on the racks so we ended up with 2 Feinwerkbau ,loved that rifle ,the airsporter was a good rifle but very noisy closing the underlever,Feinwerkbau is still in the family and still going strong

I know someone that tunes springers and he rates the proper Webley Vulcan above all the Weihrauchs when it comes to tuning.

He really knows what he's talking about too.

Any questions on the subject please phone Sandwell Field Sports (SFS) on 0121 520 2000 and ask to speak to a gentleman called Mr Wall ;).

Si.

Edited by zini
  • Like 1

When i was a lad my first air rifle was the BSA Meteor then the Mercury followed by The Airsporter underlever,then a mate and myself went to buy the Stutzen but when we arrived in the gun shop i noticed they had just got the new Feinwerkbau mk1 on the racks so we ended up with 2 Feinwerkbau ,loved that rifle ,the airsporter was a good rifle but very noisy closing the underlever,Feinwerkbau is still in the family and still going strong

Feinwerkbau 124 or 127 now they are worth some tender loving care, gorgeous piece of kit, almost timeless in their quality.

I had the .22 calibre Feinwerkbau 124 Sport. The FWB. 127 Sport was the .177 version. it was a fantastic air rifle. One I wish to this day I never sold. A real Audi of a German air rifle. Tony Wall would make an awesome job of it, I'm certain.

Pianoman

I had the .22 calibre Feinwerkbau 124 Sport. The FWB. 127 Sport was the .177 version. it was a fantastic air rifle. One I wish to this day I never sold. A real Audi of a German air rifle. Tony Wall would make an awesome job of it, I'm certain.

Pianoman

It was actually the other way around Pianoman the 127 was .22 and the 124 was .177, both awesome rifles. My third ever rifle was a FWB 127 Sport which I bought at the end of 1978 for £60 an enormous amount of money at 17. Up until that time I had been using a Sussex Armoury Jackal which was a good piece of kit, but the FWB was light years ahead in every department. Like you I wish I still had it now. I have had both calibres of the FWB Sport and wish I kept both. The mistakes we make as kids hey :whistling: .

• Like 2

Oh bloody hell! I could never remember which was which, with the Feinwerkbau Sport :icon_redface: .

I do remember it was a breakthrough rifle in terms of its accuracy, all round performance and sheer good looks for its time. And the likes of Tony Wall these days could have turned it into a really superb performing sporting rifle.

Pianoman

Oh bloody hell! I could never remember which was which, with the Feinwerkbau Sport :icon_redface: .

I do remember it was a breakthrough rifle in terms of its accuracy, all round performance and sheer good looks for its time. And the likes of Tony Wall these days could have turned it into a really superb performing sporting rifle.

Pianoman

Me neither :icon_redface: I Googled it :boogy: . I do know like you I loved them, they were a bit like the early 1900's BSA underlevers. They redefined air rifles from then on. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like FWB Sports.

Do you older guys think we should set up a O.A.P section

so you can reminisce lol

Ha Ha Ha!!

Nice one Davy boy, I lol'd at that (cos i'm gettin' owld!!)

To the OP, of over 90 guns in my collection, these two 'Stars' are the smoothest cockers (and shooters!) in my collection...

rifleBSAgoldsuperstar.jpg

I don't know whether they've been worked on but i'd guess that they have as they are just like silk in use :good:

John :bye:

• Like 1