Charlie took a cock last night, or possibly the previous night.

There are two chicken houses in the wired run.

This cock will not go into either house and stays ontop of the smaller house all night.

Most of the hens go into this smaller house and one or two sleep in the larger one for some reason.

The hen houses are surrounded by 4 foot high chicken wire which is not dug in that well.

See picture of the hole the fox made under the wire: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67356568@N05/7157818870/lightbox/

Mr fox dug the 4-5 inches under one section of the wire to gain access to the run and them somehow got the cock on top of the house. There was a ball of feather in one area of the wire where the cock was trapped.

The hens were not touched.

Previously (last year) the fox had dug under the gate to get to a broody and its chicks in a smaller house which was not secure. So I laid slabs under the gate. Again the houses were not touched.

I have a snare, tealer and the securing post, and I have not touched the hole in the fence. I also have a trail camera to use, it is in use elsewhere but this time is the last time I will let this fox take anything so it is no holds barred.

My thoughts were to put the snare on the chicken side of the fence to see if charley pays another visit.

I have had this snare outside the back door for a while so there should be no smell of me on it.

I am not sure if charley will attend the run as there are no cocks or hens outside in the run at night.

I know the basics of snare setting but I have not caught a fox with one.

If he or she is getting confident then I guess it may visit in the day? but the chickens are let out into the Orchard in the daytime.

If there is anything I should or should not do please post your suggestions.

Edited by jackg

Looks like its been a badger mate. Was there any fur on the wire ? if so what colour was it ? That will tell you whats been and payed a visit. I'm a gamekeeper and had a badger got into a pheasant pen last year. The chicken wire was buried 12 inches deep but it just ripped the netting apart. If you can see any runs coming into your property then set a snare on them but make sure it is fox before you set snares or you could be catching something illegal.

Andrew.

Thanks for your advice, no I did not boil the snare and I did kneel but onto a pair of criss cross yellow gloves.

Could be a badgers then from your comments.

Did you set your snare then?... :hmm: Cause i'm 100% sure that it would have been back the very next night, through the very same hole...... :yes: And i think its a fox by the way....... :thumbs: