tips please

benny

We`ve been out longneting tonight in a paddock which is usually alive with rabbits we hit it about 11 oclock, we had 150 yrds of preset long nets which took me 5 mins to drop, three of us drove the paddock towards the nets claping and flashing torches and got one rabbit :cry::censored: did we go to late or just no bunnies tonight?

Edited by benny

Im thinking you should have gone for a look a couple of time's a saw what time the rabbits come out maybe 11ish was to early

i did go and have alook a few times and they come out at dusk but it`s no good trying to set up in the light so i thought they would be out all night so anytime would do :thumbs-up: but that wasn`t the case i`ll go as soon as it`s dark enough next time :hmm: thanks for the reply bigbob, do you longnet if so how do you go about scaring them into yr nets r we doin that write?

we have a lovely rabbity field directly behind our house, i rarely touch them preferring to leave them and study their ways, fascinating the things you learn, the least change in air pressure, temperature etc will totally throw their movements and habbits, going out to specifically net a certain group of rabbits can be a bit of a lottery, so if you had the breeze right and were quiet and it was dark enough etc you were just unlucky that time, try it again another suitable night and you might bag up.

The field is next to a road with cars passing me i could well have been spoted joe, i was lieing down when the cars came thou :( i`ll give it another go one night this week maybe early mornin before daybreak they seam to be out then aswell, thanks for the replys

Edited by benny
we have a lovely rabbity field directly behind our house, i rarely touch them preferring to leave them and study their ways, fascinating the things you learn, the least change in air pressure, temperature etc will totally throw their movements and habbits, going out to specifically net a certain group of rabbits can be a bit of a lottery, so if you had the breeze right and were quiet and it was dark enough etc you were just unlucky that time, try it again another suitable night and you might bag up.

same as me mole trapper, i also have them in the back garden . with one or 2 little warrens in the deviding hedge.

for the most part i leave them compleatly alone. the most i have counted was 13 in my garden last summer . 3 adults the rest young , in two seperate litters diffrent ages.

its great to just sit and watch them and there habbits. there have benn a number of ocations when the lurchers has been laid down chewing a bone and not 20 feet behind her the young bunnys have come out to feed. :laugh:

• 2 months later...
We`ve been out longneting tonight in a paddock which is usually alive with rabbits we hit it about 11 oclock, we had 150 yrds of preset long nets which took me 5 mins to drop, three of us drove the paddock towards the nets claping and flashing torches and got one rabbit :cry::censored: did we go to late or just no bunnies tonight?

I suggest you treat yourself to some night vision equipment if you are going to do a fair bit of netting at night. Before I run my nets I always check with night vision to see the rabbits are out. Reasons why rabbits may not be out, foxes hunting that area, people walking over that area,wind being in the wrong direction to set the net.

When you look with night vision you will see some rabbits will only be sitting and feeding several yards from their burrows, others will be 50yds and others a lot more. When you start to run your nets, all the rabbits that are only several yards out will know you are there and run straight back to their burrows.The rabbits that are 50yds and further will not know you are there and the ones that do if the grass is long will squat. This is the reason why I developed the Fast set system as a 100yds can be run in approx 2 mins. I have caught rabbits in my nets as I am setting them, These are the rabbits that know you are there and wont squat. I hope this information is useful to you netters.