Classifying whippets for racing

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

prob best you dont buy one because if you think martins dog is a non reg whippet then you would end up coming home with a greyhound .and i would be the first to say that im on lady like . Lets just le

thanks albert we love wat we do and injoy it as i said in one of my posts a little black hairy dog/bitch ran in the very same class and all the smart people come on ere blowing there mouths off and no

Shane,   It was obvious to all of us involved in the Birr Fair that your club from the Chairman down to the little lads with their dog were all in it for the fun and their love of dogs and the sport

Yawn Paddybar !

Don`t go comparing the Greyhound Racing World with Game Fairs ! It just demonstrates how little you know ! In the Greyhound world there are grades and rules, so you know what grade you are in and so does the racing manager and everybody else.

A white board in a field stating non-pedigree whippets doesn`t really come across very clear. Is it non-papered KC Whippets, non-pedigree whippets or anything that resembles a whippet ? So be warned Paddybar, when you`re organising your Show next season, make sure you have eveything perfectly clear from the start, so as to avoid this situation. You are organising one next season I hope ?

Also, you should know, ìm not responsible for classing him a non-pedigree Whippet. That is the title he has been given, due to his breeding, which can trace back 40 years or more and is registered with the British Whippet Racing Association. So why would I deem him anything else ?

Thankfully the season is now over and my little fellow wont ever be the cause of so much rubbish being written about him ever again, by individuals, no matter how you try to explain, just haven`t the capacity or ability to understand or just don`t want to !

Martin i was using an analogy ( for WhipxGrey An analogy demonstrates the similarity or similarities between two things or concepts) re Greyhound/whippet racing and making the assumption that you of all people would understand the anger of fellow racers (be it a field not track) who felt the dogs were not graded correctly i have not organised a show this year although i have been involved in an organising capacity for several events over the season i am aware of the importance of clarity and take great care to make sure all competing have a clear understanding of the rules and regs i am also lucky that if i have made mistakes in the past ie not making it clear re a certain rule it has been pointed out to me by someone more experienced in such matters :whistling:

Still not getting it, Albert !! Martin KNOWS FOR A FACT his dog is NOT an "unregistered KC Whippet" It's a "Non-ped Whippet" with pleanty Greyhound blood in it !! A world of difference !! Don't eqate Retreives with Whippets !

Cheers.

Martin has a crossbred Whippet which is unregistered! I did not say it was an unregistered KC whippet. Our classification was KC whippets and unregistered whippets ( not specified as purebred whippets without registration). This to include unregistered whippets of all types.

My point was that if a whippet is unregistered by definition its parentage/ ancestry is not confirmed. Short of DNA testing no one can say its a whippet except the owner.

We will discuss this with our organisers but it is likely in future we will run classes for whippets ( KC registered) and whippets ( un reg) or (non ped) under 21.5".

Albert

Albert i believe you breed retrievers? what do you call a -

1 A KC registered Retriever x KC registered Retriever

2 A Retriever x Retriever neither KC registered

3 A Retriever (KC or not) x Pointer

By the way the Martin fella knows the score he races Greyhounds if he turned up to race and there was a dog from a different grade running against his dog he would soon have something to say

Can`t wait to hear his reply to this .But you know what he is like he will try and tell you its a retriever .

Speedy,

So as not to disappoint!'

1. Fact :A KC registered Golden Retriever x KC registered Golden Retriever - gives you a KC registered Golden retriever eligible to be shown at KC events, and run in field trials.

2. Opinion : A unregistered golden retriever x an unregisters golden retriever - would look like a retriever and most people would call it a retriever but no one would probably know for definite what its ancestry was. It would be ineligible to be shown or run in KC field trials. Might get away in running in tests.

3. A fairer hypothesis based on the whippet with grehound ancestry might be a golden retriever x Labrador retriever. It would be ineligible for shows and trials but would clearly be a retriever. Some might argue ( much as has been argued on this forum on the non ped whippet) that such a dog would be superior to the golden retriever. One of this type of animal that ran in the Retriever Championship did win it.

4. Regarding your other hypothesis : I have seen a number of labrador/pointer crosses. And in fact we had one on our small shoot. It looked like a retriever and the 'man in the street' would have said it was a retriever and it did retrieve well - but it also pointed. It had more retriever characteristics than pointer - so I would have said it was a retriever! BUT unlike the people who are reluctant to take on the non ped whippets I would have been quite happy to compete against it in a test/trial!

Can`t wait to hear his reply to this .But you know what he is like he will try and tell you its a retriever .

You were right Speedie :laugh: now I wont ask what tonights lotto numbers are but if you could tell me the tricast on tonights Derby

I'll have a do on that :thumbs:

Albert you say a cross breed won a field trial Championship? Cant believe for one minute that the other competitors shook his/her hand and offered their congratulations to someone so obviously cheating :whistling: or ordered pups out of or by the winner

Y.I.S Leeview

You were right Speedie :laugh: now I wont ask what tonights lotto numbers are but if you could tell me the tricast on tonights Derby

Albert you say a cross breed won a field trial Championship? Cant believe for one minute that the other competitors shook his/her hand and offered their congratulations to someone so obviously cheating :whistling: or ordered pups out of or by the winner

Y.I.S Leeview

LV,

Eng FT Ch Haulstone Larry won the IGL ( UK ) Retriever Championship in 1937 running as a golden retriever. His Grandmother Lizzie was registered with the KC as ( retriever interbred) ; His great grandmother was Haulstone Jenny ( Retriever Interbred) and his gggrandfather was Eng FT Ch Laylers Defender ( Labrador). And his owner was not viewed as a cheat by either the Kennel Club or his fellow competitors AND people did purchase pups from him as his lines are still carried through to today. And if you looked at photographs of him - you would say he was a golden retriever. Now if the KC can take such an enlightened view why can the owners of unregistered whippets not take a similar approach!

in fairness now albert your graspin a bit as not to many current breeds even look like they did in 1937,would the kc today register a three quarter retreiver quarter greyhound.i think not or would they even regester a litter from a regestered dog and an unregestered bitch again i think not so your line of defence isnt the best.the bottom line is when you look at a non-ped and a kc whippet there is a vast difference in the details and the bottom line is the mid antrim or glenbank or what ever they are called this week or next year have only done one thing consistently since ive been at your events and that is take money and let you down

Y.I.S Leeview

LV,

Eng FT Ch Haulstone Larry won the IGL ( UK ) Retriever Championship in 1937 running as a golden retriever. His Grandmother Lizzie was registered with the KC as ( retriever interbred) ; His great grandmother was Haulstone Jenny ( Retriever Interbred) and his gggrandfather was Eng FT Ch Laylers Defender ( Labrador). And his owner was not viewed as a cheat by either the Kennel Club or his fellow competitors AND people did purchase pups from him as his lines are still carried through to today. And if you looked at photographs of him - you would say he was a golden retriever. Now if the KC can take such an enlightened view why can the owners of unregistered whippets not take a similar approach!

OOH Albert hadnt realised you were quite that old :boogy: From what my great grandfather told me it was all Flat coated retrievers back in the pre war years :thumbs: So when were Golden Retrievers first recognised as a breed by the KC?

Also back then in a lot of breeds other breeds were allowed in a pedigree in order to stengthen a breed as there was nt the amount of dogs registered in certain breeds

Who knows in another 70+yrs these unregistered whippets may appear in whippet pedigrees :D and go by the name of Titterington Whippets as a mark of what you have done for them

Y.I.S Leeview

Y.I.S Leeview

LV,

Albert It was 1928 that he put the lab into his breeding and 2 generations of breeding it out before the KC accepted them, so a bit of a spurious claim saying a crossbred won a retriever Trials championship

Y.I.S Leeview

LV,

Albert It was 1928 that he put the lab into his breeding and 2 generations of breeding it out before the KC accepted them, so a bit of a spurious claim saying a crossbred won a retriever Trials championship

Paddy,

Addressing the point of what is a whippet I was making the point that the KC accepted and registered retrievers interbred as being registrable - indeed when I was first involved in dogs there were classes for them! They were registered as INTERBRED RETRIEVERS. The two generations of breeding you mention were from dogs accepted for registration as retrievers interbred. It was as you say third generation before they were accepted as golden retrievers.

Now applying this to the dispute in question over whippets, following the same line of reasoning I would describe Martin's dog as a whippet interbred. And as such elegible to run in a classification for whippets other than KC registered.

I am not completely up to date on the KC's policy of registering progeny from unregistered parents but it used to be that if a dog was accepted as typical of its breed by three appointed Ch judges it was deemed capable of registration as a specimen of that breed.

Y.I.S Leeview

LV,

Paddy,

Addressing the point of what is a whippet I was making the point that the KC accepted and registered retrievers interbred as being registrable - indeed when I was first involved in dogs there were classes for them! They were registered as INTERBRED RETRIEVERS. The two generations of breeding you mention were from dogs accepted for registration as retrievers interbred. It was as you say third generation before they were accepted as golden retrievers.

Now applying this to the dispute in question over whippets, following the same line of reasoning I would describe Martin's dog as a whippet interbred. And as such elegible to run in a classification for whippets other than KC registered.

I am not completely up to date on the KC's policy of registering progeny from unregistered parents but it used to be that if a dog was accepted as typical of its breed by three appointed Ch judges it was deemed capable of registration as a specimen of that breed.

I am no expert on the Gundog breeding and in days of old im sure your right re interbred etc, i very much doubt the last statement is true as it would take more than 3 Ch judges opinion re registration.

i think your missing the point re whippets what Martin has is a Non Ped whippet which is a true racing machine and very quick, many years of interbreeding with greyhounds etc over here they have a racing body that governs them some may look like whippets or very similar but as i said previously alot FASTER when running an open show/racing etc theses dogs would need to have a class running against their own or in the open lurcher racing ie over or under a certain height absolutely no point putting them with ped or UN REGISTERED whippets as they will beat them hands down.

Y.I.S Leeview

LV,

Paddy,

I am no expert on the Gundog breeding and in days of old im sure your right re interbred etc, i very much doubt the last statement is true as it would take more than 3 Ch judges opinion re registration.

i think your missing the point re whippets what Martin has is a Non Ped whippet which is a true racing machine and very quick, many years of interbreeding with greyhounds etc over here they have a racing body that governs them some may look like whippets or very similar but as i said previously alot FASTER when running an open show/racing etc theses dogs would need to have a class running against their own or in the open lurcher racing ie over or under a certain height absolutely no point putting them with ped or UN REGISTERED whippets as they will beat them hands down.

Paddy,

You are incorrect about your statement about the KC and the three judge opinion. I recall this happening some years ago AND interestingly enough the KC has just introduced a pilot scheme to register unregistered dogs with TWO judges!

"Pilot scheme for registering dogs of unverified parentage

19-Apr-11

A pilot scheme which could enhance genetic diversity has been announced by the Kennel Club. It will allow purebred unregistered dogs to be registered on the Breed Register on a case by case basis. This is a return to the position which existed forty years ago when similar rules were in force.

Enhancing genetic diversity

The move, approved by the Kennel Club General Committee last year, will if used, enhance genetic diversity by widening breed gene pools and allowing new bloodlines to be introduced within breeds.

Under the new pilot scheme, every successful application will be admitted to the register with three asterisks next to its name. Asterisks will be applied for three further generations, in order to identify the fact that there is unknown or unregistered ancestry behind a dog.

How to apply

Applications will need to be accompanied by a letter of explanation of how the applicant acquired the dogand will then only be considered on the proviso that the dog:

a) is verified by two Championship level judges appointed by the Kennel Club who should agree that the dog is representative of its breed.

B) is DNA profiled.

c) has relevant health tests (equivalent to that required and recommended under the Kennel Club Accredited Breeder Scheme) for the breed. Breed specific health requirements under the ABS can be viewed at www.thekennelclub.org.uk/breedhealth.

To ensure that only genuine applicants apply, strict requirements have been put in place that will need to be completed before an application is finally approved by the Committee, and in addition there will be an administration fee of £100 per dog. Every application will be considered on a case by case basis.

Whilst the Kennel Club is keen to open up its register, it should be noted that there is no guarantee that dogs so registered (and their progeny) will be accepted for registration by overseas registering bodies. That will depend upon their local regulations.

Application forms are available direct from the Registration Office on 0844 4633 980"

As to missing your point - I have not but you have failed to accept the point I have made.

It is easy to classify a group of whippets racing as KC registered. Then we have to try to classify the others. At Birr our intention was to have Un Reg and non ped whippets in the 'other' classification. In future In order to make it more even then the other class is likely to be for whippets ( unreg/non ped) dogs under 21.5". Bigger dogs can tun with the under 23" lurchers.

This gives non ped whippet owners a class to race in.

If someone has not registered their dog we have only their assertion that it is a pure bred whippet.

Such an owner's choice is very simple - if they do not wish to race with the 'others' then they register their dog. We are not excluding them but giving them a choice as to which class they wish to run in. Surely that is both simple and fair? If I do not register my retriever I do not expect the KC to design a special set of trials for me!

Now this really is my final comment on this matter.

Albertj

ALBERT the best way to sort all this out is to start with 19 and under 21 and under 23 and under and over 23. you wont need to have kc or any of this messing thats going on have it by height and if needed measure the dogs.it should not matter if it is whippet or lurcher just go by size of the dog after all its about having a good day out and putting the fun back into it and stop the prize money as well just a bag of meal and a trophy should do. its about taking part that counts and hopfully getting more young people in to the sport.

regards danny

Y.I.S Leeview

LV,

Paddy,

Paddy,

You are incorrect about your statement about the KC and the three judge opinion. I recall this happening some years ago AND interestingly enough the KC has just introduced a pilot scheme to register unregistered dogs with TWO judges!

"Pilot scheme for registering dogs of unverified parentage

19-Apr-11

A pilot scheme which could enhance genetic diversity has been announced by the Kennel Club. It will allow purebred unregistered dogs to be registered on the Breed Register on a case by case basis. This is a return to the position which existed forty years ago when similar rules were in force.

Enhancing genetic diversity

The move, approved by the Kennel Club General Committee last year, will if used, enhance genetic diversity by widening breed gene pools and allowing new bloodlines to be introduced within breeds.

Under the new pilot scheme, every successful application will be admitted to the register with three asterisks next to its name. Asterisks will be applied for three further generations, in order to identify the fact that there is unknown or unregistered ancestry behind a dog.

How to apply

Applications will need to be accompanied by a letter of explanation of how the applicant acquired the dogand will then only be considered on the proviso that the dog:

a) is verified by two Championship level judges appointed by the Kennel Club who should agree that the dog is representative of its breed.

B) is DNA profiled.

c) has relevant health tests (equivalent to that required and recommended under the Kennel Club Accredited Breeder Scheme) for the breed. Breed specific health requirements under the ABS can be viewed at www.thekennelclub.org.uk/breedhealth.

To ensure that only genuine applicants apply, strict requirements have been put in place that will need to be completed before an application is finally approved by the Committee, and in addition there will be an administration fee of £100 per dog. Every application will be considered on a case by case basis.

Whilst the Kennel Club is keen to open up its register, it should be noted that there is no guarantee that dogs so registered (and their progeny) will be accepted for registration by overseas registering bodies. That will depend upon their local regulations.

Application forms are available direct from the Registration Office on 0844 4633 980"

As to missing your point - I have not but you have failed to accept the point I have made.

It is easy to classify a group of whippets racing as KC registered. Then we have to try to classify the others. At Birr our intention was to have Un Reg and non ped whippets in the 'other' classification. In future In order to make it more even then the other class is likely to be for whippets ( unreg/non ped) dogs under 21.5". Bigger dogs can tun with the under 23" lurchers.

This gives non ped whippet owners a class to race in.

If someone has not registered their dog we have only their assertion that it is a pure bred whippet.

Such an owner's choice is very simple - if they do not wish to race with the 'others' then they register their dog. We are not excluding them but giving them a choice as to which class they wish to run in. Surely that is both simple and fair? If I do not register my retriever I do not expect the KC to design a special set of trials for me!

Now this really is my final comment on this matter.

Albertj

Bit of confusion, you was talking about Interbred?? i believe the KC would not condone such a situation 2 judges or 10 dont worry re reply as i know you have made your final comment :thumbs: