New International Lurcher Events

hi albert im back again for god sake just put the entrance fee for dogs in the ring three euro and reap the profits otherwise people wont enter there dogs.i cant be arse winding you up this year facts are you or shamus erwin were not at any of the show down south last year.i might be in voled in running a show myself this will you and shamus surport us or will you sponsor us on the day

Fionn,

I would be disappointed if I didn't hear from you! I really do hope we get a chance to meet some time.

I am not involved in terrier & lurchers myself and rarely have a free Saturday to look at other sports - hence I do not go to terrier & lurcher shows anywhere. If I do have a free Saturday this year I am going to run my bitch in gundog tests and I do hope to take in Mourne as it is near to me.

If you are running a show it is unlikely that I would get to it unless I was in the south - I do go down every month so I might hit lucky.

BUT I have never refused any organisation sponsorship yet - There's not a lot left in the kitty this year as we have had to support our own prize fund extensively as sponsorship in general this year is difficult. But let me know when you're running and I will put some form of package together for you.

AlbertJ

we meet this year albert i didnt get to birr last year even with the free passes hope your package is in stirling lol i think your taking too much agro over the mid antrim club i.e shamus erwin.let him defend himself i think the rest of the show is a good day out and terriermen lurchermen rescent giving mid antrim there money as they dont surport any other shows plus 5 euro is too much.this has been going on for years shamus is the mid antrim terrier club,whats going to happen albert is someone will come on here looking for all terrier and lurchermen to bycott your show its only a matter of time nobody want that to happen ps maybe mid antrim might sponser us aswell

Fionn,

As I said I and one of my fellow Directors met with the club - not just Seamus - and asked them to make a gesture on prices this year - they offered FREE racing but I felt that depended on people going two days so I suggested a nominal fee for the racing €2 which would go directly into a sweepstake prize fund on the day ( nothing to the MA) and we would give anyone who entered a FREE ticket for the Sunday. Anyone coming both days saves a net €13 on admission. No other event has such a concession on admission. This is the subject of a firm agreement between the directors of the fair and the MA club and has gone into our budget for the event.

All the clubs who organise events make money at the fairs whether we ( the directors do or not) but all invest their time, labour, expertise and shoulder some of the costs of the event. We also ask them to carry out at least one nominal promotional task - in the case of the MA - they do postering AND this , (as I have done it ) is not a 'one man' job!

We have agreed this concession as a team and with the Mid Antrim for 2011. We shall revisit the whole matter of entry and admission fees in 2012. We have come a long way with the terrier and lurchers since I came on the forum to answer crotiism of our fairs myself because I don't like others, no matter how well intentioned, speaking on my behalf. Prizes have gone up, new competitions have been launched and concessions given.

Some of the criticism on the forum has been well motivated others appear to want to be critical no matter what we would do. There are some who even if we gave FREE admission and FREE entry would still find cause to criticise.

I think we have put together a great prize package for the three shows, two new innovative international competitions and a very fair two day admission/entry package for Birr. Indeed a package unmatched by any other major fair. For better or for worse that is it for 2011. But I am always willing to speak to people ( face to face) rather than through the forum and discuss how 2012 could be better. I trust we will have the chance to have such a discussion.

Albertj

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You really do appear to have a rather odd 'chip on your shoulder' about something. I should have thought most lurcher owners would have welcomed fresh innovative competitions instead of inaccurate and

First of all, I'd like to apologise for taking this thread slightly off topic! but I feel I have to respond when the "Five Nations International Working Terrier Championship" has been mentioned! it wa

I can't understand all this craic about entrty fee's, to the fair, and to enter your Lurcher or Terrier to the show; I'd of thought it was dead simple.... if you don't like it.... don't go !! If the m

Every lurcher enthusiast i have spoken to, everyone without exception, have all complained about the price for entering their lurchers for showing. The majority of those who attend the lurcher shows have more than one dog, some have three or four dogs and others have more. Most of those who support the show enter their dogs into more than one class so you can appreciate the lurcher folks annoyance over the cost to enter their dogs for showing. It is the cost for entering each dog in each show class that people are not happy with. The MAWT&LC need to look at the prices THEY are charging. I'm sure the lurcher fraternity are grateful to Albert for speaking up for them at his meetings with the MAWT&LC but they don't seem to be geeting the message. Maybe a poll should be set up on this issue regarding the cost for showing.

hi albert im back again for god sake just put the entrance fee for dogs in the ring three euro and reap the profits otherwise people wont enter there dogs.i cant be arse winding you up this year facts are you or shamus erwin were not at any of the show down south last year.i might be in voled in running a show myself this will you and shamus surport us or will you sponsor us on the day

Fionn,

I would be disappointed if I didn't hear from you! I really do hope we get a chance to meet some time.

I am not involved in terrier & lurchers myself and rarely have a free Saturday to look at other sports - hence I do not go to terrier & lurcher shows anywhere. If I do have a free Saturday this year I am going to run my bitch in gundog tests and I do hope to take in Mourne as it is near to me.

If you are running a show it is unlikely that I would get to it unless I was in the south - I do go down every month so I might hit lucky.

BUT I have never refused any organisation sponsorship yet - There's not a lot left in the kitty this year as we have had to support our own prize fund extensively as sponsorship in general this year is difficult. But let me know when you're running and I will put some form of package together for you.

AlbertJ

albert you mention clay shooting ..the gun dogs etc as being very popular . i was just wondering is it cheaper to shoot the clays if you pay english pounds or is it dearer for the irish gun dog team because they pay in euro . i look forward to answer a simple yes or no will do ...just hunt

Just Hunt,

The entry fees for all our competitions at our fair in Birr will be the same whether you pay in pounds or euro what exchange rate is given for pounds is at the discretion of the club running the event. As you are aware I have published the concession we are offering to terrier & lurcher owners ( and the entry fees) and what is certain is that the person going ro the fair to shoot two days will pay much more that the terrier or lurcher owner who runs their dog one day and shows the next.

I have made it clear on this thread what the prizes are and what the concessions/entry fees are and I think that is me finished answering questions on either topic.

AlbertJ

so albrt your not going to answer any more questions on either topic well i wont ask you any so all i will say is ...how dare you and your clubs come to my country and try and rip us off with your double standards . i hope the terrier and lurcher men of eire treat the show with contempt it deserves ....your a very arrogant man . now i am finished on this topic ......for a while

There was me thinking there were no political or religious divisions between country sports people on this island!

There are no double standards at our fairs and I was not being arrogant. I simply am fed up going over the same old ground when I quite clearly posted the costs and concessions that were on offer this year. I made it quite clear that this year at BIRR all terrier & lurcher show classses wil be posted as being €5. If someone offers a sterling equivalent it is up to the club be it a clay club or gundog club based in the ROI, a stand holder or the terrier & lurcher club to set the exchange rate. NO one is ripping anyone off and certainly not in a sectarian or political fashion that you imply. Furthermore as I have stressed time and time again I do not set the entry fees the club organising the events do. I asked them to join with me in putting forward a concession - they have done this and I have more than matched it. If I am favouring anyone on this island it is the southern terrier & lurcher people in terms of admission to the ROI show.

I have tried to be civil on this forum and answer even quite intrusive questions because I believe if someone asks me a question they deserve an answer but I am going to stray a little from that because I am afraid I do not like your 'them and us' rant. Our shows and events have always been open to all - they and I and my fellow directors are totally non sectarian, non political or non territorial and our directorial team who run Birr are two ROI and Two NI resident on the island of Ireland. Are you seriously accusing our two ROI directors of anti ROI activity? The workers on site are also a good mix of Southernors and Northerners - just as it should be. I abhor discrimination of all types and have fought many cases in the tribunal ( on a voluntary basis) on behalf of people who have been discriminated against. But I have absolutely no time for people who whinge against perceived discrimination or who make silly allegations of discrimination where none exists.

I am proud to HELP run all Ireland fairs including setting up All Ireland Championships with rotating finals which actually encourage sportsmen to travel and interact on an all Ireland basis. I am also proud to publish an all Ireland magazine and to work with virtually all the major countrysports organisations on this island North and South of the border. Ask the Director of the NARGC or the Directors of FISSTA or the Director of the Woodcock Association or any of the ROI clubs or associations I have assisted or worked with over the years whether it was likely that I would discriminate against anyone in the ROI or apply double standards.

You, on the other hand, appear to wish to put up sectarian, political or terriorial barriers and I trust all Irish sportmen from wherever they live on the island of Ireland will deplore your rather apparently naked attempt to bring politics into our sports. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

Albertj

remember lads 3 pound is about 3.50 euro ...so when you pay your 5 euro your paying 1.50 more than the sterling paying man beside you . but thats not alberts fault ,nothing to do him at all..... ha ha ha ....jesus its a fxxking classic...sorry shouldnt of said jesus maby too religious..

Fionn,

AlbertJ

albert you mention clay shooting ..the gun dogs etc as being very popular . i was just wondering is it cheaper to shoot the clays if you pay english pounds or is it dearer for the irish gun dog team because they pay in euro . i look forward to answer a simple yes or no will do ...just hunt

Just Hunt,

The entry fees for all our competitions at our fair in Birr will be the same whether you pay in pounds or euro what exchange rate is given for pounds is at the discretion of the club running the event. As you are aware I have published the concession we are offering to terrier & lurcher owners ( and the entry fees) and what is certain is that the person going ro the fair to shoot two days will pay much more that the terrier or lurcher owner who runs their dog one day and shows the next.

I have made it clear on this thread what the prizes are and what the concessions/entry fees are and I think that is me finished answering questions on either topic.

AlbertJ

so albrt your not going to answer any more questions on either topic well i wont ask you any so all i will say is ...how dare you and your clubs come to my country and try and rip us off with your double standards . i hope the terrier and lurcher men of eire treat the show with contempt it deserves ....your a very arrogant man . now i am finished on this topic ......for a while

There was me thinking there were no political or religious divisions between country sports people on this island!

There are no double standards at our fairs and I was not being arrogant. I simply am fed up going over the same old ground when I quite clearly posted the costs and concessions that were on offer this year. I made it quite clear that this year at BIRR all terrier & lurcher show classses wil be posted as being €5. If someone offers a sterling equivalent it is up to the club be it a clay club or gundog club based in the ROI, a stand holder or the terrier & lurcher club to set the exchange rate. NO one is ripping anyone off and certainly not in a sectarian or political fashion that you imply. Furthermore as I have stressed time and time again I do not set the entry fees the club organising the events do. I asked them to join with me in putting forward a concession - they have done this and I have more than matched it. If I am favouring anyone on this island it is the southern terrier & lurcher people in terms of admission to the ROI show.

I have tried to be civil on this forum and answer even quite intrusive questions because I believe if someone asks me a question they deserve an answer but I am going to stray a little from that because I am afraid I do not like your 'them and us' rant. Our shows and events have always been open to all - they and I and my fellow directors are totally non sectarian, non political or non territorial and our directorial team who run Birr are two ROI and Two NI resident on the island of Ireland. Are you seriously accusing our two ROI directors of anti ROI activity? The workers on site are also a good mix of Southernors and Northerners - just as it should be. I abhor discrimination of all types and have fought many cases in the tribunal ( on a voluntary basis) on behalf of people who have been discriminated against. But I have absolutely no time for people who whinge against perceived discrimination or who make silly allegations of discrimination where none exists.

I am proud to HELP run all Ireland fairs including setting up All Ireland Championships with rotating finals which actually encourage sportsmen to travel and interact on an all Ireland basis. I am also proud to publish an all Ireland magazine and to work with virtually all the major countrysports organisations on this island North and South of the border. Ask the Director of the NARGC or the Directors of FISSTA or the Director of the Woodcock Association or any of the ROI clubs or associations I have assisted or worked with over the years whether it was likely that I would discriminate against anyone in the ROI or apply double standards.

You, on the other hand, appear to wish to put up sectarian, political or terriorial barriers and I trust all Irish sportmen from wherever they live on the island of Ireland will deplore your rather apparently naked attempt to bring politics into our sports. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

Albertj

remember lads 3 pound is about 3.50 euro ...so when you pay your 5 euro your paying 1.50 more than the sterling paying man beside you . but thats not alberts fault ,nothing to do him at all..... ha ha ha ....jesus its a fxxking classic...sorry shouldnt of said jesus maby too religious..

Just Huntin

As well as apparently having a persecution complex you appear to have difficulty reading I said ALL entrants in the terriers & lurches at Birr will be charged €5. AND ALL terrier & Lurcher people have the concession of a days racing, anentrey to a show class and two days at the show for €22. Now you answer me a question what other fair in Ireland or the UK offers such BASIC value. How many classes you enter is then up to you - your choice.

AND how many shows in the UK or Ireland are offering T&L owners the chance to win such good prizes.

Albertj

5 euro is just over £4.30. Rip off. Is there any other lurcher show in the UK and Ireland that charges this amount to enter a lurcher into any of its show classes?

DAZZAM,

As I said before this is a cheaper entry fee than any of the other sports. I don't show my golden retrievers other than at the club show because they are working dogs. But I put an entry in the other day because I am President of the club. It cost £10 for the class and the only prizes on offer were rosettes!

However I took your concerns to the club and we negotiated an agreement for 2011 but I will return to this for 2012. It may be 'old fashioned' but I believe that when I give my hand to something I can't change it. What I was trying to do was to negotiate a good deal OVERALL for the T &L fancier and to do that the club gave a little and I gave a little.

If you look at the package 'In the Round' it is a good one AND one that is likely to be unmatched by any major fair in the UK or Ireland especially one with such good prizes. Think about it you run your dog on Saturday. and you get two days admission and your entry for €17. Whether you choose to show your dog on Sunday is up to you.

OR as a basic deal run your dog on Saturday and show it in one class for €22 and get two days at the show. The choice of how much you spend on classes after that is up to you. I have had several calls, pms and emails to say its a great deal! The critics on here appear to be focused solely on the entry fee per showing class NOT on the overall package.

Why is it not recognised that MA have costs associated with the racing and no revenue.

I would turn your question round and ask which UK or Irish game or country fair ( with equivalent prizes) offers a better deal than two days admission and an entry into the lurcher racing and a show class for €7 more than the normal admission fee?

I will finish off and say that the concession agreed this year will stand this year and I will revisit it with the MA in 2012. This is not me being 'arrogant' simply sticking by a deal I came to.

Albertj

5 euro is just over £4.30. Rip off. Is there any other lurcher show in the UK and Ireland that charges this amount to enter a lurcher into any of its show classes?

DAZZAM,

As I said before this is a cheaper entry fee than any of the other sports. I don't show my golden retrievers other than at the club show because they are working dogs. But I put an entry in the other day because I am President of the club. It cost £10 for the class and the only prizes on offer were rosettes!

However I took your concerns to the club and we negotiated an agreement for 2011 but I will return to this for 2012. It may be 'old fashioned' but I believe that when I give my hand to something I can't change it. What I was trying to do was to negotiate a good deal OVERALL for the T &L fancier and to do that the club gave a little and I gave a little.

If you look at the package 'In the Round' it is a good one AND one that is likely to be unmatched by any major fair in the UK or Ireland especially one with such good prizes. Think about it you run your dog on Saturday. and you get two days admission and your entry for €17. Whether you choose to show your dog on Sunday is up to you.

OR as a basic deal run your dog on Saturday and show it in one class for €22 and get two days at the show. The choice of how much you spend on classes after that is up to you. I have had several calls, pms and emails to say its a great deal! The critics on here appear to be focused solely on the entry fee per showing class NOT on the overall package.

Why is it not recognised that MA have costs associated with the racing and no revenue.

I would turn your question round and ask which UK or Irish game or country fair ( with equivalent prizes) offers a better deal than two days admission and an entry into the lurcher racing and a show class for €7 more than the normal admission fee?

I will finish off and say that the concession agreed this year will stand this year and I will revisit it with the MA in 2012. This is not me being 'arrogant' simply sticking by a deal I came to.

Albertj

Albert,

I appreciate your response. However its those who support the lurcher shows who have three, four and in some cases even more dogs who enter their dogs into more than one showing class, these are the ones who are going to hurt over the cost per entry per showing class. Again most lurcher folk who attend and support the lurcher shows have more than one dog. Due to the cost of showing they may have to limit the amount of dogs they show per class. As a package for one dog to enter racing and one show class it is very good. I, along with so many others feel the MAWT&LC may need to look at the cost they are charging per dog per show class.

DAZZAM,

Albertj

Albert,

I appreciate your response. However its those who support the lurcher shows who have three, four and in some cases even more dogs who enter their dogs into more than one showing class, these are the ones who are going to hurt over the cost per entry per showing class. Again most lurcher folk who attend and support the lurcher shows have more than one dog. Due to the cost of showing they may have to limit the amount of dogs they show per class. As a package for one dog to enter racing and one show class it is very good. I, along with so many others feel the MAWT&LC may need to look at the cost they are charging per dog per show class.

Dazzam,

As I said we will revisit this whole issue in 2012. If you are at Ballywalter I am happy to talk to you about another idea I have to address this.

Albertj

DAZZAM,

Albertj

Albert,

Dazzam,

As I said we will revisit this whole issue in 2012. If you are at Ballywalter I am happy to talk to you about another idea I have to address this.

Albertj

Thanks, i believe you ought to be commended for your insight into this new venture to promote both lurcher showing and racing in this country. May i also say i have been a supporter of the MAWT&LC for many a year. I believe their longevity within the showing and racing scene speaks for itself as year in and year out their shows have given so many of us an oulet for our hobby during the summer months.

Once again many thanks.

to get of the subject of the fiver what are the prizes for winning this year per class and the finals :toast:

Kegs,

Still working on prize funds for Shanes Castle and Birr other than the basic for the two new competitions - winner of each gets €500, a Barbour Coat worth €500 plus a portrait of their dog by David L Prescott plus a range of other prizes. The prize fund for Ballywalter has been posted on www.ballywaltergamefair.com

Albert

AlbertJ

Just as a matter of interest who actually pays for the rosettes and trophies and prize money for the shows, as I understand it's around £4 for each entry into the lurcher & terrier classes which goes to the Mid Antrim club. If they are providing the rosettes and trophies then they do need recompense even though it seems quite dear, if they are not then why does it need to be that expensive as they have not imo had a significant outlay to justify it.

Fionn,

AlbertJ

Just Hunt,

AlbertJ

Albertj

Just Huntin

As well as apparently having a persecution complex you appear to have difficulty reading I said ALL entrants in the terriers & lurches at Birr will be charged €5. AND ALL terrier & Lurcher people have the concession of a days racing, anentrey to a show class and two days at the show for €22. Now you answer me a question what other fair in Ireland or the UK offers such BASIC value. How many classes you enter is then up to you - your choice.

AND how many shows in the UK or Ireland are offering T&L owners the chance to win such good prizes.

Albertj

i can assure you albert that i have no complex and that i can read perfectly . your just not getting it are you.so its 5 euro for everybody but the mid antrim boys can charge whatever exchange rate they want . so there lads in the ring paying 2 different prices . its called being fair ,a level playing field .i dont care if they charge 10 euro as long as they charge everybody the same .there was a saying down here during the celtic tiger ....rip off ireland...its bad when it enters a terrier and lurcher ring ..i would say your a great crack with a few pints on ya albert ...your some comedian .....ha ha ha ..

Fionn,

AlbertJ

Just Hunt,

AlbertJ

Albertj

Just Huntin

Albertj

i can assure you albert that i have no complex and that i can read perfectly . your just not getting it are you.so its 5 euro for everybody but the mid antrim boys can charge whatever exchange rate they want . so there lads in the ring paying 2 different prices . its called being fair ,a level playing field .i dont care if they charge 10 euro as long as they charge everybody the same .there was a saying down here during the celtic tiger ....rip off ireland...its bad when it enters a terrier and lurcher ring ..i would say your a great crack with a few pints on ya albert ...your some comedian .....ha ha ha ..

Just Huntin,

Sorry but it is you who 'is not getting it'. As part of a very generous concession to the entry fee for ALL terrier & lurcher classes is €5 whatever the owner's religion, nationality or politics are.

In the RARE case that someone offers sterling the club like everyone else on the site will take the nearest equivalent which is probably £4.

Now lets get real - assuming you happened to be there and I know that is a big assumption because it would appear that you are anti Northern - possibly anti everything - are you really going to be exercised that someone who has travelled a couple of hundred miles to show their dog is charged a few pence less than you? If so come and see me before the show and I'll give you the difference!

Now you answer the question I asked you - do you know of any major fair in the UK or Ireland

where T&L owners can run their dog on Saturday, show it on Sunday and have two days at the fair ALL for €22?

Albertj

Fionn,

AlbertJ

Just Hunt,

AlbertJ

Albertj

Just Huntin

Albertj

Just Huntin,

Sorry but it is you who 'is not getting it'. As part of a very generous concession to the entry fee for ALL terrier & lurcher classes is €5 whatever the owner's religion, nationality or politics are.

In the RARE case that someone offers sterling the club like everyone else on the site will take the nearest equivalent which is probably £4.

Now lets get real - assuming you happened to be there and I know that is a big assumption because it would appear that you are anti Northern - possibly anti everything - are you really going to be exercised that someone who has travelled a couple of hundred miles to show their dog is charged a few pence less than you? If so come and see me before the show and I'll give you the difference!

Now you answer the question I asked you - do you know of any major fair in the UK or Ireland

where T&L owners can run their dog on Saturday, show it on Sunday and have two days at the fair ALL for €22?

Albertj

i quote .all terrier and lurcher classes is 5 euro whatever the owners religion nationality or politics ....well albert thank you very much for clearing that up well done you .as for going to shows i travel to shanes every year for the last 10 or 12 about a 2 hour drive . i have also travelled to birr which is another 2 hour drive .also to johnnys in kilkenny and matt in wexford ,but its not the big money that attracts me to a show its the for the crack and to meet old friends ...but then thats only my view ...i can assure you albert i have many friends from up north some i hunt with and some i dig with and there friendship i hold very close.i have also met you at a retriver trial at shanes many years ago ,a good friend of mine was running a dog .i hope your birds are flying better now than they did then ....

Edited by just hunt