Photo
- - - - -

The reason you should 'soak' Rabbit meat in salt water.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 bullmastiff

bullmastiff

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:31 PM

Read an interesting article by a chef on the reason you should soak Rabbit meat.

Apparently Because they originally come from a lot warmer climate than ours, they evolved to cope without an abundance of water. As such they rarely if ever drink and can survive on the moisture from their food.
As a Rabbit doesn't have much 'free' fluid it rarely has to pee, so the Urea (the bit that turns your pee yellow) builds up in the blood stream. This is what can make a Rabbit taste bitter/funny after taste.

By soaking the carcase in salt water, you draw out the blood from the meat and with it the Urea, dramatically lessening the 'odd' taste that puts so many off eating Rabbit.

Although soaking in milk does work it's not as effective, it's actually the small amount of salt content in the milk that's at work not the milk itself.

I've since started doing this and it works a treat! I never used to be a great fan of the taste of Rabbit and would always mince it or put a strong flavoured sauce on it.

I tried just adding salt to some water and dropping the Rabbit carcase in but when I tried a few plain pieces it didn't work as well as I thought it should.
I then boiled some water with the salt in to dissolve it, cut the meat off the bone and dropped that in the cooled water overnight and BINGO!
Drained it off, patted it dry with kitchen roll then fried up a few plain bits... it tasted lovely!
If your doing a recipe that involves cooking the whole carcase then just lightly score the meat with a knife to allow the blood to be drawn out easier.

If in the past you've enjoyed other Game meats but just couldn't get on with Rabbit then please try this! I can almost guarantee you'll like it.

Edited by bullmastiff, 21 September 2010 - 11:35 PM.

#2 bert the fert

bert the fert

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:01 AM

Well, you live and learn ! I've done the milk thing for years, without actually knowing why.... just did it cos that's how my mum treated rabbit. I'll definitely try your technique in future, though. Cheers :thumbs:

#3 masmiffy

masmiffy

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:36 AM

I have always 'soaked' rabbit in salt water before cooking.
My great aunt always did so I guess I followed suit.
She would joint the rabbit place it in a bowl of salt water in the fridge overnight before using.
Must admit I didnt know this was the reason it was done mind prob neither did she!

#4 SEAN3513

SEAN3513

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

good advice

always soak mine.......after hanging them for 24 hrs :thumbs:

#5 scothunter

scothunter

Super Duper Stormtrooper

• Donator
  • 20,155 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:44 AM

ill defo try that :thumbs:

#6 Malt

Malt

sheep bothering mod

• 23,073 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:45 AM

My dad has always soaked them in salt water. I don't eat much rabbit, but when I do I do the same.

#7 mexlad

mexlad

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

top tip mate :thumbs:

#8 Ideation

Ideation

Jesus Like Hunter

• Members
  • 14,093 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

I usually just eat it. Tastes like rabbit. :tongue2:

#9 markha

markha

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:04 AM

Thats a great snippet of information and top tips, SP for that one.
Cheers
Mark

#10 jimmy

jimmy

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 728 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:23 AM

never done it just skinned and gutted quick wash then in the pan great

#11 trappa

trappa

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

Didnt know that! I have been cooking it with strong flavours lately to overpower the "odd taste". Rabbit tikka masala will still be on the menu but will try that as well!

#12 Polkey

Polkey

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:08 PM

I saw a chef do the same on tv but the his reason was that it tenderized the meat but that makes a lot of sense.

#13 bullmastiff

bullmastiff

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:13 PM

Thank you MarkHa for the rep point, much obliged!
It was one of the reasons Rabbit Curry is always so popular Trappa, because you can't taste the Rabbit! lol

#14 marlin vs

marlin vs

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

Very good explanation,iv'e alway's soaked them in salt water overnight and find it made them tender, thank's for that, I never knew what the soaking actually done. :thumbs:

#15 desertdog

desertdog

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

good tip, was talking to an old warrener, last week, and he said to do this, i have never bothered, but i will now.