DIY custom stocks

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And another         Cheers.     Bill.

Some fantastic looking stocks on here and some great talent.   Would it be possible to use one of those dremel type tools with all the various attachments to carve out a gunstock from scratch, inclu

Hiya Mark.   Thank you me dear.   Yes it was a good job I had some to spare mate   Well I managed to get to the Range, and have a pop. She felt realy nice to hold and shoot, and it was good to

Posted Images

The Force was strong, so attacked the stock again today :)

Had an E-mail this morning, Butt Plate is on it's way, so that's good new's.

Did a bit more shaping and sanding, and the stock is fitting like a clove,... so far :shok:

Getting used to the wood grain now which is making life easier.

So far the Spoke Shave and wood Rasp's have proved the best tool's for the task.....well for me anyway :laugh: a chippy may think different :tongue2:

Been working on the grip today, and the palm relief, taken a bit more off the forestock too, thined it out a little bit.

Started to shape the Butt gently, but need that plate.

A few more pic's of progress.

post-41269-013115800 1283953938_thumb.jpg

I was going to say, after seeing you take such a lot of wood out the stock on page 4 pics "once its gone its gone", but the above pics look great, its coming on fast now, you know what I was just thinking? Balance points; of the stock and also of the rest of action/barrel etc, you could make it a real treat to swing and aim if both the balance points matched up and were matched to how you would shoulder the gun. Keep up the fantastic work, keep a track of the hours taken and the cost per hour for when everyone wants you to build them a custom stock ;)

I was going to say, after seeing you take such a lot of wood out the stock on page 4 pics "once its gone its gone", but the above pics look great, its coming on fast now, you know what I was just thinking? Balance points; of the stock and also of the rest of action/barrel etc, you could make it a real treat to swing and aim if both the balance points matched up and were matched to how you would shoulder the gun. Keep up the fantastic work, keep a track of the hours taken and the cost per hour for when everyone wants you to build them a custom stock ;)

Hiya Mark.

Thank you for your kind comments mate Im glad you like it :thumbs:

Chopping out the Butt was a bit of a worry, as you rightly say....once its gone , its gone :laugh: all turned out ok though I think.

Sorting out the balance is on the list mate, but will be one of the last job's.

I think she will be a tad heavy on the arse end, so the deep forestock is handy to drill into from the inside to add lead and hopfully add ballance......well that's the theory :laugh:

Im hoping the Butt plate turn's up tomorrow, I can then finnish the Butt shaping.

Put some stock oil on a scrap piece today, and it look's realy nice, good grain to it :thumbs:

Cheer's me dear.

Bill.

The Butt Plate came this morning :yahoo:

Took it appart and penciled in the outline on the centre line of the butt.

Then set about trimming with the spoke shave and rasp, to suit the outline, and blend in the rest of the stock.

Pic's so far.

post-41269-048670600 1284042709_thumb.jpg

That really does look the part mate, and your doing a fantastic job. You sure you haven't done this before? :whistling:

Kyle

Hiya Kyle.

Cheer's mate :thumbs:

First time for everthing so they say, and this is a first mate :laugh: and proberbly the last :laugh: the people who make stock's by hand deserve every penny they charge :doh:

Realy enjoying it though, and looking forward to the first shot with her new furiture :thumbs:

Not tempted to buy a plank then mate?

ATB.

Bill.

Hiya Kyle.

Cheer's mate :thumbs:

First time for everthing so they say, and this is a first mate :laugh: and proberbly the last :laugh: the people who make stock's by hand deserve every penny they charge :doh:

Realy enjoying it though, and looking forward to the first shot with her new furiture :thumbs:

Not tempted to buy a plank then mate?

ATB.

Bill.

No chance Bill, im not good with wood lol. Im a metal man :whistling: it would be a bit heavy if I made it from Ally or steel lol

Kyle

hey bill

all looking very well and very good now comes the hard bit the inleting for the action one slip and game over router 1 expensive black walnut 0 :icon_eek:

im sure you will be fine buddy :thumbs:

atb samuri

Hello mate.

Thank's for the comment's. :thumbs:

That's it.......cheer me up and inspire confidence :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I dont own a router and not had any experience with using one :no:

So I have asked a chippy mate of mine to do the inletting for me :thumbs::icon_redface:

Hopefully comming to see me on Sunday.......the day of reckoning for the stock :laugh:

If all goes well, Ill be putting the first coat of oil on it :thumbs:......if not......could be lighting the BBQ :laugh:

May change some small detail's first though....but then again :doh:

Cheer's for now.

Bill.

hey bill

all looking very well and very good now comes the hard bit the inleting for the action one slip and game over router 1 expensive black walnut 0 :icon_eek:

im sure you will be fine buddy :thumbs:

atb samuri

Hello mate.

Thank's for the comment's. :thumbs:

That's it.......cheer me up and inspire confidence :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I dont own a router and not had any experience with using one :no:

So I have asked a chippy mate of mine to do the inletting for me :thumbs::icon_redface:

Hopefully comming to see me on Sunday.......the day of reckoning for the stock :laugh:

If all goes well, Ill be putting the first coat of oil on it :thumbs:......if not......could be lighting the BBQ :laugh:

May change some small detail's first though....but then again :doh:

Cheer's for now.

Bill.

haha you can count on me to cheer you up :tongue2: im still thinking that the inleting would have been easier first.ill look forward to the pics on sunday with action in place :thumbs:

i hope november the 5th dont come early :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

atb samuri

Hiya Samuri :thumbs:

I did give some thought to the inletting, and thought the same as you bud, that it would be easier to do it first.

But then I also thought if I left the Forestock square on its flank's, it would still be possible to do the inletting relativly easily.

I think the stock will need to be sandwitched between two planks to carry out the inletting.

Very much suck it and see.

I will try and put up some pic's of how we do it.

This is the proto type for other stock's I plan to make.....got the bug now :laugh: so will see how it goe's.

ATB.

Bill.

• IanB unpinned this topic