The Deer Thread..........

Hi Joe,

I'm sure someone with greater deer knowledge than myself such as JD would know but the Muntjac was feeding outside a wood primarily made of oak. This was around Winchester, the roe were all seen north of Southampton not too far from the M3 :yes: The muntjac I have seen have been found in old oak woods but is this coincidence?????? I'd be interested to know....... :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Big Fish

We got plenty of the little blighters around here, if you go quietly you can sneak up on them and they aint too fussed about you watching them.

Hampshire ancient forest ;)

IMG_2340resize.jpg

Edited by The Big Fish
Guest james b
I flushed a muntjack last week whilst out ferreting its the first i'v seen about here(just outside glasgow) !

are the numbers of these little deer growing ??

Thats the first muntjac ive heard of in Scotland

been stalking for over 20 yrs never seen one

up here :hmm:

We picked up some new permission yesterday to sort out a rabbit problem, not big land, just a paddock really, but there were vary obvious signs of Muntjac activity..........one well used cut through, prints all over.

This is coming out of woodland and onto short arable land.

We have lamping permission for this paddock now (for the rabbits) so it will be intresting to see what we observe the deer doing.

OK......Question...

Do Muntys have tusks or not?............I didnt think they did, but at the taxidermists yesterday he had some specimens mounted that did have tusks?

Sharp fecking things as well :cry:

JOEB

yes mate they do, and bloody sharp things they are. one once totally ruined my wellys after i had jumped into a dyke to pull scoob and the munty out. luckily i was wearing my boots or my poor calf would have been seriously slashed. :icon_eek: Scoob was slashed a few times, but the worst was the evening a day before i was meant to be running a comp with him, the munty buck managed to slice his front leg muscle quite bad. It took ages to heal too. ;)

yes mate they do, and bloody sharp things they are. one once totally ruined my wellys after i had jumped into a dyke to pull scoob and the munty out. luckily i was wearing my boots or my poor calf would have been seriously slashed. :icon_eek: Scoob was slashed a few times, but the worst was the evening a day before i was meant to be running a comp with him, the munty buck managed to slice his front leg muscle quite bad. It took ages to heal too. ;)

Thanks J...........so its just Munty & CWD that have them....any others?

JOEB

Thanks J...........so its just Munty & CWD that have them....any others?

JOEB

a chinese wont use its tusks against a dog, historically speaking of course. :o

Your dog will learn to take muntys properly or get hurt , The fuckers flail there horns about . got my mates dog in the ear sevred a artery she allmost died .

No it wont old chap.............only intrested in observing behaviour whilst going about my lawfull business.

JOEB

Just watched the urban deer programme on BBC2........not bad!

Intresting to hear that Roe only hang about in small groups....this fits with my limited sightings......is this anyone elses experience?

JOEB