• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my boy with a pheasant killer

Posted Images

so come then genuine border terrier workers, who keep them and who genuienly works them and for how long?

hello boss iv 5 borders with i work and i got rid of my jrts because they wernt a patch on them i will dig with them next year.they will go for hours and run with the hounds as wel,i would not go past them :gunsmilie::big_boss:

so come then genuine border terrier workers, who keep them and who genuienly works them and for how long?
Ive owned and worked Borders for 25yrs,mine have been used for earthwork mainly.but worked on top togeather they hunt like a pack of hounds.I got my first ones off Jeff Fenaroli(R.I.P Mate)out of the Garw line,all turned out to be grafters,if shown a lot of dead stuff and had plenty of outings to watch the job early on,they do enter early,its the old saying ,you only get back what you put in.
ive heard they are late starters ? true or false ?

my first 3 started slow the other 1 took to it very vast and the pup iv breed 8mts ago is flying and trying to get to groung already i hope dat ans is what u want

:gunsmilie:

Guest dee mac
ive heard they are late starters ? true or false ?
As i said in my last message if you show them plenty they can and do enter early,one of mine a blue and tan dog entered and worked his first fox at 11months,they dont learn anything in the kennel.

well said andyratman a lot of lads think its just a matter of opening the kennell door and the dogs magically know whats expected of them rome was nt built in a day
The instinct to hunt is in them all,its just a matter of how quick you can encourage it out of them,in my experience the only way is to give em plenty

very well said andyratman do u breed your own pups?do they give toungh when hunting above ground? :gunsmilie:

They do give tounge when close ,and can follow a line very well,Iused my old dog to blood trail wounded deer when out stalking,I used to breed them but not any more,my circumstances dont allow at the moment.to bring them on I would hide a dead fox in the hedgerow after dragging it for a hundred yards or so then cast the older dogs on the line with the pups in tow,most times they found it.

Edited by andyratman

thats what i wanted too hear lads, im old school, and i got the replys i wanted,its good to see,my boy did come on a bit late, 14mths, he,s now 6yrs, and when he got goin on old red, he gave no quarter, and still gives none, we hunt the buck, and the cold line, they,er deep scenting, and if jimmy from waterford wants one they,re be here ,just speak to sam, he,ll know, andyrat man, if you know of a blue tan bitch, let me know, love ya borders, desertdog.