cz 17 hmr ammo

i have been shooting 17gr federals for a while with a marlin .17 hmr and found them to be ok. Recently got hornady 17gr rounds cheaper than the federals and i was impressed with them on the range and hunting. The hornady rounds have a blue tip on them.

i would reccomend that you buy 50 rounds of a few different bullets and see what you think fire the best out of your gun. Also i am not sure what peoples views are on running in the barrel on small bore rifles but you may find the following link helpful

http://www.hps-tr.com/guidance/barrel_runningIn.asp, there is also a thread on here relating to the blue tip hornady rounds would be worth a look.

keith

hi all,

just purchased a cz 17 hmr silhouette 20"barrell as my first rifle,

just wondering what best choice of ammo for rabbits and what weight,

:gunsmilie: cheers,mark

The 17g ballistic heads all come out of the same factory, so the only...VERY SLIGHT difference, is the loading and cartridge case...can't say I have found any much difference between any of the 17g...only tried CCI 20g HP and it was nowhere near as good as 17g!!!!

hi all,

just purchased a cz 17 hmr silhouette 20"barrell as my first rifle,

just wondering what best choice of ammo for rabbits and what weight,

:gunsmilie: cheers,mark

I've been using Federal Premium Balistic Tip for £10.50 per 100

Quite good

ditto what everyone else has said, try as many brands as you can get your hands on. ive tried cci 20g which were crap, remington accutip which were OK and then decided that moa wasnt quite good enough especially for those longer shots on rabbits where missing was more frequent so i bought federal v-shock which group 0.3 inches at 100 yards. BUT THATS JUST MY RIFLE

£10.50 per 50

sorry about the confusion

per 100 would be very ince though :)

Humph...... I knew it was too good to be true!!! :thumbs:

Bought some of the Hornady blue tip 17gr for 10 quid per 50 and found them very good , took the range finder with me bunny bashing and killed some at 129 yards :D

Federal 20gn hp shoot really well in my cz out the other night shot rabbits out to 130yrds ..and it dont leave a mess of your rabbits unlike the Balistic tips which leave big holes ..plus they buck the wind better

Does anyone know which ones kill the rabbits better?

I have noticed using Federal Balistic Tips the rabbit doesnt drop stone dead straight away when i hit them right in the center of the head - possibly due to the large wound it creates and lack of penetration?

There is no exit wound either, i suppose this is good as all the energy is impacted, but a through and through in the head might be a better kill?

Would the 20gr Full Metal Jacket be better to use ?

Edited by elvolcan

ive started using federal v-shock as well and their fantastic for my rifle. what ive noticed what you'll probably find is similar to what i find when i go and fetch a rabbit ive shot. most are still moving but i can assure you that they are stone dead. im no biologist but its simply the nervous system creating spasms which causes them to flail about. anything past 100 yards and the wound is relatively clean. under that, you tend to find a large part of the head missing.

THEYRE ALWAYS VERY DEAD

ive started using federal v-shock as well and their fantastic for my rifle. what ive noticed what you'll probably find is similar to what i find when i go and fetch a rabbit ive shot. most are still moving but i can assure you that they are stone dead. im no biologist but its simply the nervous system creating spasms which causes them to flail about. anything past 100 yards and the wound is relatively clean. under that, you tend to find a large part of the head missing.

THEYRE ALWAYS VERY DEAD

Ok thanks for that

I was confused why even with a perfect head shot they dropped on the ground, and then had the spasms you refer to

Thanks for clearing it up though :)